Issues with waiting times for AIB and lack of communication from AFCO

SeaHawk14

Badgeman
God knows. Apparently they’ve closed applications to become a pilot, so they must be way oversubscribed. Why is it that everyone is applying to become a pilot? Is it because it sounds cool? Genuine question, any role regarding avaiation seems to over saturated.
Mental isn't it? Yeah they've closed the applications which is very rare for the Navy to do, so they really must have had an absolute tonne of applicants. I'm not entirely sure why the massive amount of new applicants, maybe GCSE's and A-Levels went much better than normal because of COVID and so those school leavers thought of going Direct Entry. Plus before Covid they raised the age limit to 34 years, so they would have had a lot of people applying because of it. I know that the Navy has apparently had 30% more applicants this year vs last year, COVID would have closed some potential avenues for school leavers like apprenticeships or university. So loads of people must have thought, f*ck it, Forces!
Aviation always attracts loads of people, for many different reasons, some for the challenges of flying, some because it looks so cool, some for a change in their lifestyles, some see an F-35 at an airshow and think "wow. I want to fly that magnificent thing". No-one needs to advertise the job because it advertises itself, but it doesn't necessarily reflect the reality that flying is tough.

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
Unbelievable there’s more officer applicants than there are ratings. Something like 35% to 28% increase, respectively, so I’d imagine the waiting times are going to be mammoth for some roles.

Buckwind

The schpeel I was given is that the increase in pilot applications for under 26 year olds was down to alot of current airline pilots rushing to apply once it became apparent Covid was going to leave them jobless for the foreseeable.

Zoidberg

War Hero
God knows. Apparently they’ve closed applications to become a pilot, so they must be way oversubscribed. Why is it that everyone is applying to become a pilot? Is it because it sounds cool? Genuine question, any role regarding avaiation seems to over saturated.

Pilot has always been a very oversubscribed role.

Perhaps even moreso now to the decline of the civilian aviation industry combined with the lack of ability to process as many candidates through AIB and BRNC but that would be a guess.

Hello, does anyone know anything about the current TMO recruitment?

I have been on the waiting list for two years,and when i finally got called to AIB,that also got cancelled and I have been waiting for another AIB date ever since. I recently found out that the Navy isn't currently recruiting for the TMO role and is only prioritizing warfare officers(submariner) at the moment. Now, I am just wondering how this development affects my application?

fishhead

War Hero
Hello, does anyone know anything about the current TMO recruitment?

I recently found out that the Navy isn't currently recruiting for the TMO role and is only prioritizing warfare officers(submariner) at the moment. Now, I am just wondering how this development affects my application?
Did you hear that from an official source( i.e. AFCO) or just from the rumour mill?

AIB

Midshipman
It does state on the RN Careers website that we are not currently recruiting TMO's. If you have an engineering background and relevant degree, why not consider Engineer Officer?

AIB

Midshipman
That does limit your choices. If X(O), X(SM) or logs do not interest you, maybe wait for 6 months or so and see if TMO branch opens up for recruiting.....Best bet in the meantime is to keep in contact with your ACLO to discuss your options and keep a weather eye on the RN recruiting website. Good luck with your application, I hope it works out for you