Issue with my PRNC. No progress.

Hello. I'm in the stage in my application where I need to complete the PRNC, I first contacted my careers advisor about this in April. I was told that if I hadn't heard any news in a few weeks to call back. I have been doing this and I have repeatedly gotten the same response. Which is that he does not know. He tells me he has no idea of the dates for the PRNC and for basic training. I have seen that other members have been booked onto this and have made progress. I spoke to him yesterday and his response was 'honestly mate I don't know'. I would expect him have some idea when the course would be and when I can attend but I have absolutely no progress in this regard since April. Does anyone have any idea how I can move past this, should I try getting a different advisor. I just need to speak to someone that actually knows and can get me booked onto the course.
I would appreciate advice that can help me resolve this issue.
Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hello. I'm in the stage in my application where I need to complete the PRNC, I first contacted my careers advisor about this in April. I was told that if I hadn't heard any news in a few weeks to call back. I have been doing this and I have repeatedly gotten the same response. Which is that he does not know. He tells me he has no idea of the dates for the PRNC and for basic training. I have seen that other members have been booked onto this and have made progress. I spoke to him yesterday and his response was 'honestly mate I don't know'. I would expect him have some idea when the course would be and when I can attend but I have absolutely no progress in this regard since April. Does anyone have any idea how I can move past this, should I try getting a different advisor. I just need to speak to someone that actually knows and can get me booked onto the course.
I would appreciate advice that can help me resolve this issue.
Thanks
PRNC is not booked until an entry date is allocated.

Entry dates are usually requested after PJFT is passed and SC underway. Generally,, start dates are allocated around six months before entry for most branches,, unless it's a shortage category (under 3 months).

Your Careers Adviser can give a rough guestimate but we tend not to ring up candidates waiting for an entry date until we have something to tell them as it is counter productive ringing upwards of 100 applicants each month to tell them that they haven't been allocated an entry date yet. Applicants are told not to give up employment or education at least until they have been allocated a start date.

What branch are you aiming to join in?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Im joining as an advanced apprentice marine engineer.
I have every sympathy. The job offer and selection process is not particularly obvious.

This is one of the unique branches that get nominated a theorehtical entry date in their particular role...but may find themselves in a position of not actually making the cut for selection in the role.

What happens is the individual is deemed suitable at interview and an entry date requested.

The branch manager then waits until all candidates that pass the interview before selecting the final cut from the "best" candidates available from the cohort.

Those who don't make selection are offered an alternative Accelerated Apprentice role (ME, WE, AE, MESM, WESM) or...standard entry roles in those particular branches.

Whilst it's easy to see thr logic behind the branch managers wanting to select the very best for what is probably one of the best apprenticeship offers in UK, it's pretty miserable for the applicants, unfortunately.

Then again, with a starting pay of £31,100 and entry at the rate of Leading Hand, I guess the logic is that we're aiming to select the very best.

Those who would prefer a faster route to entry should consider joining in the standard roles with perhaps a view to being selected for a fast track advancement scheme.

Good luck, worth the wait I reckon.