Iss RR dying?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#21
sussex2 said:
What I can believe is that what used to be banter was sometimes bullying in disguise,
Wise words. I agree entirely.

Service humour is alive & hoofing, we just need to differentiate from offensive banter & genuinely witty humour.
 
#23
the_matelot said:
Speaking as a serving matelot, I think I'm qualified to say that the banter is still there but society as a whole has changed. Some say for better, some say for worse but massive changes have occured. We're now treating people the way society expects them to be treated. Granted, the RN could have stayed in the past like a dinosaur but we wouldn't have drawn recruits to the Naval Service.

To be honest, some of what was described as 'banter' which occured even up to 10 years ago was nothing but bullying in disguise. I fail to see how violating someone with a broom handle during an initiation ceremony could've been classed as banter but some people seen it as that way. It's a good job the powers that be didn't see it like that and punished the offenders accordingly. Only a fool would say that bullying doesn't occur in the RN but a lot is being done to stamp it out and quite rightly so but hopefully not at the expense of a few words of truth/encouragement-some people can only perform under a torrent of abuse (WE's for example ;) )At the same time, I don't agree with a lot of the BS that goes with politically correct decisions. Don't even get me started on Equality and diversity training...

Mistakes have been made along the way but it's the only way to learn (the introduction of the OM Structure springs to mind).

As for some of the bone questions asked by people enquiring about the navy, I'm sure every single critic was worldly wise at the age of 16/17 and knew all about the ways of the RN :roll: . Granted there is no excuse for stupidity and repeated questions when they can look through the Newbie threads or look at the RN recruiting website.

But if there were no stupid people in the world, we wouldn't have stokers! :D :D :D
Hey! I resemble that remark........... :lol:
 
#24
The Matelot wrote

"To be honest, some of what was described as 'banter' which occured even up to 10 years ago was nothing but bullying in disguise. I fail to see how violating someone with a broom handle during an initiation ceremony could've been classed as banter but some people seen it as that way"

I am not sure which Navy you were in but between 1961 and 1972 I never saw or even heard of such behaviour either onSurface ships or boats. Either it was a FAA thing of it came into the Navy long after I left.

Does any one have personal knowledge of this or is it just another urban myth.

In fact I will go as far as to say I never saw or even ever heard of such a thing as an initiation ceremony in the 60's or 70,s

Nutty
 
#25
I saw some definite interference by a broom handle:
A bloke (I suppose there is always one) couldn't march moving only one arm at a time. We tied a broom handle to the his wrist and the same to the guy in front.
It didn't work and I have a photograph of our passing our parade at Raleigh with both the offending arms pointing skywards.
Bless him! And I believe this was a regular procedure:lol:
On the subject of bullying most of what I saw, and it wasn't a great deal, which is why it stays in my mind I suppose, was verbal, the worst kind. I don't mean the screams of the GI's either, more the steady physcological type.
I can recall only one serious incident which was handled in a totally inept manner, something modern training and procedures will hopefully avoid.
 

the_matelot

War Hero
Moderator
#26
Nutty said:
I am not sure which Navy you were in but between 1961 and 1972 I never saw or even heard of such behaviour either onSurface ships or boats. Either it was a FAA thing of it came into the Navy long after I left.

Does any one have personal knowledge of this or is it just another urban myth.
It occured in 1996 or early 1997 if I remember correctly. The national press had a fcuking field day over the whole incident and it received extensive press coverage so I'm surprised you think it's a urban myth. I think it was on a 42 but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And I remember the other incident when a young OM had to be flown off the ship in the helo in 1998 due to the amount of bullying he was receiving off the Ships Company Senior Rates. I remember it due to the fact the guy concerned was in my entry at HMS Raleigh and I wouldn't have classed him as asking for it. NO-ONE deserved the amount of abuse he got. The Sun newspaper had a full page story about it as well.

As for RR dying? Well, it doesn't help when certain prolific posters on here who haven't even worn the uniform spout off about everything and act as if they've done it all.

I've had one screen-name mentioned to me more times than I care to remember as the main reason why serving matelots aren't posting on RR.
 
#27
the_matelot said:
Nutty said:
I am not sure which Navy you were in but between 1961 and 1972 I never saw or even heard of such behaviour either onSurface ships or boats. Either it was a FAA thing of it came into the Navy long after I left.

Does any one have personal knowledge of this or is it just another urban myth.
It occured in 1996 or early 1997 if I remember correctly. The national press had a fcuking field day over the whole incident and it received extensive press coverage so I'm surprised you think it's a urban myth. I think it was on a 42 but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
And I remember the other incident when a young OM had to be flown off the ship in the helo in 1998 due to the amount of bullying he was receiving off the Ships Company Senior Rates. I remember it due to the fact the guy concerned was in my entry at HMS Raleigh and I wouldn't have classed him as asking for it. NO-ONE deserved the amount of abuse he got. The Sun newspaper had a full page story about it as well.

As for RR dying? Well, it doesn't help when certain prolific posters on here who haven't even worn the uniform spout off about everything and act as if they've done it all.

I've had one screen-name mentioned to me more times than I care to remember as the main reason why serving matelots aren't posting on RR.
Twas a T22, no names, no pack drill, but it's now Romanian. As a point of order, the offending article was a doodlebug handle!
 
#29
To return to the original question, RR does contain it's fair share of balderdash and piffle. Its got a lot better since Romft.com has taken away some of the old timers and lampswingers. The only way to decrease the number of gay references in RR is to deny the oxygen of publicity to those who use these threads to attention seek at every oppertunity. It would be great if we could do the same to the "slightly to the right of Atilla" threads which always seem to start with a link pasted from the Daily Outrage (as I like to all the Mail)
If you look back at the development of our sister site Arrse, it seems to be that RR is going through the same growing pains that Arsse did.
 
#30
I dont know if RR is dying. But Ive personally reduced my number of posts. I become fed up of posts that are nothing more than a chance for someone to vent off, regardless of the situation, rights or wrongs of what happened. Ive become annoyed with constant posts about sexuality, submariners posts about what use are skimmers and the general attack upon the diffferent branches of the RN (as if the press doesnt do enough of that already) and most of these arent banter, they are nothing more than ignorance and rudeness. However Ive become particuarly fed up of having my posts (and reading others) that have been attacked with nasty one liners or responsed to with swear words or picked up for spelling by normans etc. I remember when i first started posting, the threads were good and the posts/reponses intelligence, interesting and thought provocating. I dont agree that the problems with the site is because the RN has changed, or that PC has taken control, because this site has changed in the last year for the worse. If people just showed a little respect for others and thought before posting a response, this site would soon shine again. I sadly await the recriminations.
 
#31
the_matelot said:
Well, it doesn't help when certain prolific posters on here who haven't even worn the uniform spout off about everything and act as if they've done it all.
I fear I resemble that particular comment. However I contest your latter assertion. Please elaborate.

I've had one screen-name mentioned to me more times than I care to remember as the main reason why serving matelots aren't posting on RR.
I emailed those concerned with an apology. As to fresh complaints about me, given that I have toned my sexual references down (except where provoked, as below) please clarify.

clanky said:
The only way to decrease the number of gay references in RR is to deny the oxygen of publicity to those who use these threads to attention seek at every opportunity.
You could reduce the number of gay references if straight posters were less inclined to provoke discourse by raising gay topics or attacking gays, inviting challenge.

It would also be welcome if an even hand was applied so when straights are into so-called attention-seeking about their sexual exploits it's not just classed as banter, whilst milder gay chat is classed as attention-seeking. Personally I disagree that I am attention seeking and personally find this oft repeated accusation both offensive and hypocritical, but I suppose that remains a matter of conjecture. Perhaps if we have a serving or ex-RN gay as a Moderator (Type42stoker, for example, or Sussex 2) somewhere, perhaps to assist Brazen on Diamond Lil's, things might be more balanced. If a gay Moderator reprimanded me I would at least not persistently feel that I'm being picked upon for behavior that when straights do so usually passes without any comment whatsoever.

Can I request that when I am inadvertently cross a line, one of the gay matelots PMs me about it or pulls me up in a forum?
 

Seadog

War Hero
Moderator
#32
As for RR dying? Well, it doesn't help when certain prolific posters on here who haven't even worn the uniform spout off about everything and act as if they've done it all.
Some of the self agrandizing posts remind me of the Tugg (RIP) cartoon;

in Prince Andrew's active service days, Jack is chatting up a girl and name drops to impress; 'as I said to Prince Andrew on the flight deck last week......' His oppo chimes in '...mind the paint sir.'

Rum Ration is mostly whinging about moderation and moderators, whinging about poofs, whinging about straights maligning poofs, poofs flirting, whinging about no board of enquiry and too many commodores, the uninformed spreading misinformation, beards/hairy stokers/lovely, the Ganges I never knew, the Barrow boys. We need a Chief of Staff (Transformation). RR has little interest for those serving and I'm another who has been told (without actively seeking opinion or giving away my connection) that RR is characterised by one omnipresent poster that they find objectionable, and it isn't norman.
 
#33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the_matelot wrote:
Well, it doesn't help when certain prolific posters on here who haven't even worn the uniform spout off about everything and act as if they've done it all.

I fear I resemble that particular comment. However I contest your latter assertion. Please elaborate.
Well you did lie BIG time when you joined RR, remember? A Walt, if I use that term correctly. And you have been known to give serving advice to those looking for it, when you weren't qualified to answer.

This is was is meant.
 

Seadog

War Hero
Moderator
#34
Civvy,
My hetro shagging exploits threads/posts are few and far between. My hairy stoker fetish posts are frequent. As for evenhandedness, inappropriate and / or unfunny sexual innuendo of all persuasions doesn't belong in serious threads. I bin it where I clock it and have permissions. Likewise 'all poofs must die' posts.

You could reduce the number of gay references if straight posters were less inclined to provoke discourse by raising gay topics or attacking gays, inviting challenge
Agreed. silverfox addressed the problem before by binning a botty sex thread to the Gash Barge to keep it off the front page. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the whinger-in-chief followed.

A gay exRN / RN moderator? Rum Ration, an equal opportunities employer, celebrating diversity. How do you know we don't already have one or more moderating beefers? A bit self obsessed to believe all the poofs are outside the secret society isn't it? You need to moderate yourself. It isn't just your hairy stoker fetish that grips and your earlier apology wasn't attached to a Galaxy Brief so it hasn't been promulgated to the Fleet, has it? FFS!
 
#35
Mistakes have been made along the way but it's the only way to learn (the introduction of the OM Structure springs to mind).
Yep, totally agree, too many make-a-mends for us along side. Giving us a glorified title, so that we can paint and clean a ship on a daily basis, just for sh*ts n giggles................they went from source to OM and now this topmast [email protected] is just a sneay way to returning to the source branch but it doesn't seem to be working.

Now the banter, a majority of it now is a form of bullying and covered up. GTake for instance, my first ship. The SnS girlies were pains but funny, they decided to target the 'new girl', it started off as laughs and she had to get use to it, she hadn't been in for long. Then the banter turned nasty, silly jokes that she found offence, it knocked her confidence down and she recoiled and wouldn't leave the mess unless she left the ship or had to work. It was not nice to watch, what these girls thought was funny, the other girls didn't. Now, we tried to settle it ourselves, not wanting the higher command to get involved, we thought we could.

After a night out, this said girl came back a little drunk, she woke up in the morning to find her bed covered in chocolate, crisps, peanuts and apple juice. I will tell you now, our mess was banned from eating or drinking in there, due to a few stupid lasses not being able to clean up after themselves or throw rubbish away. This girl came back onboard and to the mess empty handed, it wasn't her, but it was 2 of the SnS girls thinking it would be funny. Then that same morning they spread around the ship that she has shat and pished herself and that she was disgusting, obv a new matress was to be purchase and this poor girl was going to be 126'd for it.

The PO(SA) refused her signature and said this was a case of bullying, the 2 girls involved had a lovely trip to the table and paid up for it.

To some this may have been funy but to us and esp this poor lass, it was not. This went on for a few months and we never realised how bad it had gotten!
 
#36
Beware the Ides of March
Or in this case the Wrath of the Mods (or do they think that they Gods)

The Mods 10 Commandments.
1. Thou shalt have no other Mod than me (and my mates)
2. Thou shall not use the names of the Mods in vein
3. Remember the CA forum and keep it non argumentative
4. Honour the site owners to whom the Mods owe allegiance
5. Thou shalt not disagree with a Mod hence other Mods will band together and smite thee.
6. Do not murder the oxygen thieves as they provide merriment to RR members.
7. Do not commit adultery or communicate with poofs and brown hatters else thy arse may become tainted
8. Do not steal other members dits else castration may occur.
9. Do not lie, unless it makes thy dits more interesting.
10.Do not covet thy neighbors avatar but find thine own preferably with bigger tits.

Here endeth the reading
 
#37
Nutty said:
The Matelot wrote

"To be honest, some of what was described as 'banter' which occured even up to 10 years ago was nothing but bullying in disguise. I fail to see how violating someone with a broom handle during an initiation ceremony could've been classed as banter but some people seen it as that way"

I am not sure which Navy you were in but between 1961 and 1972 I never saw or even heard of such behaviour either onSurface ships or boats. Either it was a FAA thing of it came into the Navy long after I left.

Does any one have personal knowledge of this or is it just another urban myth.

In fact I will go as far as to say I never saw or even ever heard of such a thing as an initiation ceremony in the 60's or 70,s

Nutty
Agree Nutty, I joined in 67 and in my time never witnessed any bullying.

''Initiation ceremony'' ?? , yes but harmless stuff.....being daubed with blanco and boot polish then buckets of cold water thrown at you whilst saluting and singing the national anthem.
 
#38
slim said:
Beware the Ides of March
Or in this case the Wrath of the Mods (or do they think that they Gods)

The Mods 10 Commandments.
1. Thou shalt have no other Mod than me (and my mates)
2. Thou shall not use the names of the Mods in vein
3. Remember the CA forum and keep it non argumentative
4. Honour the site owners to whom the Mods owe allegiance
5. Thou shalt not disagree with a Mod hence other Mods will band together and smite thee.
6. Do not murder the oxygen thieves as they provide merriment to RR members.
7. Do not commit adultery or communicate with poofs and brown hatters else thy arse may become tainted
8. Do not steal other members dits else castration may occur.
9. Do not lie, unless it makes thy dits more interesting.
10.Do not covet thy neighbors avatar but find thine own preferably with bigger tits.

Here endeth the reading
Hang on, you actually took a minute of your time to not copy and paste the sun? Slim, shut up will you.

As for this whole thing. AAC's ID has been mentioned by people in complaints, AAC has also been friendly advise on numerous occasions to tone his postings down about his sexuality, this was never aired out of respect for him but he has chosen to abort and not to listen.

I can confirm that AAC's ID is now a running joke on a big floating grey thing in Plymouth, we call a naval ship. RR's name is being stuck in the mud for supporting gay rights rather than it's actual and original intent, on the serving, this is not true as such but we all know that the bad is usually remembered than the good.

AAC lied when he joined RR, spouting dits of his naval career, which was as true as Paris Hilton is a virgin.

Now, it's boiling down to this, not just mods but a lot of members/non-members...........basically sick and tired of AAC having to post his sexuality every single day, like it';s something we forget. If onboard a ship, he'd be taken round hte back of the lockers n beaten sh*tless now, for not shutting up.

I am sorry AAC but you are the major reason to why these threads have started and really, the only RR ID mentioned when serving members of the RN tell me and other people, why they avoid this site.
 
#39
Not sure if RR is dying but it has gotten a little quieter. I've not posted as much lately myself, probably because I'm busier in my new post and don't have the same amount of spare time.

It does seem that there is a minority of RR members that contribute to the site. A quick look through the members list will show that 3/4s of the RRers have made 10 or fewer post and 50% have made 2 or fewer.

Incidents like that of the C******* raised the profile of the site and we had an increased membership as a result but it's all quietened down again.

I don't think we'll ever attain the success of ARRSE but we don't have their numbers and the Navy has always been 'out of sight, out of mind'. We've never enjoyed the same level of awareness in the public consciousness as the Army has.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy_Green Nautical Jokes 8
J Blue Jokes 1
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top