Iss RR dying?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by andym, Sep 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have notice of late that very few posts are being made.Also the chatroom is empty.Is RR on its last Gasp?

2. Possibly... :money: :money: :money: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

Anal and retention springs to mind

3. I blame Gordon Brown for confirming the CVF order. What is there to talk about now?!

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Andy: You're First Aid trained - perhps you should do something about it?! CPR perhaps...

It was soooo much better in the old days (bit like the Mob, really..) :wink:

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Alternatively we could always overtly advertise for other websites, whilst deriding the one that hosts your links.

Before you know it, Hig the Pig will do the same.

Oh, he already has....

6. Im not deriding RR,just making an observation.im not competing with RR.

7. I hope it's not dying - it has been getting a bit stale recently with the same old threads over and over until BH comes along - she's normally good at starting threads.

Are lots of people away at the moment so many of the die-hards not online, is there not a lot of interesting stuff to talk about or are people just getting fed up or being enticed away elsewhere ?

8. Ninja_Stoker

I know you're not Andy, just having a jest.

Hig's "Last Post"
    Andy’s “Last Postâ€

9. Its a fair Cop!LOL

10. And how many have it as a signature? Not me Chief. by the way you know my thoughts about the Bone questions that the Newbies ask, when they`ve been to the Recruiting Office, if you did`nt see the humour in my post then I despair, romft caring? sharing? try it and see. :w00t:

11. No. the remaining posts appear to be interesting, informative or amusing, we seem to have lost mostly the abuse.

Nutty

Can't speak about the chat room as I only ever went into it about 3 times and found it was not my bag as is ROMFT

Nutty

12. Well I can't type fast enough for the chat room.....I am a two fingered typist....at best!
    RR will not die, there are still too many good people on here to let that happen

13. I agree that a lot of the abuse has gone.
    This really shocked me to be honest when I first signed up. I honestly hadn't realised that such attitudes still existed, and I'm a hard old nut that has been through a lot.
    If some of that has gone then perhaps it will encourage a wider variety of people to join; free of the fear of being slagged whenever they put a comment in.
    Perhaps it'll make it less 'clubby' and more welcoming to newcomers.

14. Well I have posted my thousandth message and I made one comment about why so many failed at RMR Merseyside[it is fecking hard] and I was bombarded with all kinds of shite from being a smug bastard to being a macho man with para wings. Because I posted a pic!!!

And you want to know if it is dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

15. :oops: :oops: :oops:

16. Ninja_Stoker

Calm down Hig.

I happen to wholeheartedly agree there are often questions that appear to be bone to those that have seen them before.

Generally, if it's a new poster asking the question then it's only fair to give the correct advice, much as many of us may despair the repeatative nature of it all.

You'll find that even I get hacked off when the same person either doesn't read the answers, or asks the same question more than once, then I'll re-iterate a tad sarcastically. Already, day 1 of being a mod, 2nd post of the day & I was referred to as a "Smarmy Tw*t". :thumright: Who could argue?

Frankly, I laughed buckets, wondering how on earth the individual could possibly hope to survive in a service environment if they get petulant at the very first prod of service humour.

Service humour is indeed a little more cutting than many are used to, we just have to use it sparingly at first or we maybe accused of being smarmy. Apparently.

17. N_S

The last paragraph of the dit "The Death of Jack Tar" is worth repeating to support your post.

"The late 20th Century and on has seen the demise of Jack. The workplace no longer echoes with ribald comment and bawdy tales. Someone is sure to take offence. Where as, those stories of daring do and ingenuity in the face of adversity, usually whilst pissed, lack the audacity of the past. A wicked sense of humour is now a liability, rather than a necessity. Jack has been socially engineered out of existence. What was once normal is now offensive. Denting someone else’s over inflated opinion of their own self worth is now a crime.
    And so a culture dies

Nutty

18. So that means no more messdeck banter, no more taking the p1ss of out people? That's not the RN I remember.

19. Are you sure it has died? I honestly can't believe that.
    What I can believe is that what used to be banter was sometimes bullying in disguise, which has now hopefully gone (not totally I am sure).
    Certain groups of people who at one time would have been easy targets are not now - at very least able and open to standing up for themselves; with the backing of the law if all else fails.
    This is true of society as a whole so must be reflected even in closeted organisations such as the RN.
    The banter has probably shifted emphasis that is all.
    It needs someone still serving on here to let us all know.

20. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Speaking as a serving matelot, I think I'm qualified to say that the banter is still there but society as a whole has changed. Some say for better, some say for worse but massive changes have occured. We're now treating people the way society expects them to be treated. Granted, the RN could have stayed in the past like a dinosaur but we wouldn't have drawn recruits to the Naval Service.

To be honest, some of what was described as 'banter' which occured even up to 10 years ago was nothing but bullying in disguise. I fail to see how violating someone with a broom handle during an initiation ceremony could've been classed as banter but some people seen it as that way. It's a good job the powers that be didn't see it like that and punished the offenders accordingly. Only a fool would say that bullying doesn't occur in the RN but a lot is being done to stamp it out and quite rightly so but hopefully not at the expense of a few words of truth/encouragement-some people can only perform under a torrent of abuse (WE's for example ;) )At the same time, I don't agree with a lot of the BS that goes with politically correct decisions. Don't even get me started on Equality and diversity training...

Mistakes have been made along the way but it's the only way to learn (the introduction of the OM Structure springs to mind).

As for some of the bone questions asked by people enquiring about the navy, I'm sure every single critic was worldly wise at the age of 16/17 and knew all about the ways of the RN :roll: . Granted there is no excuse for stupidity and repeated questions when they can look through the Newbie threads or look at the RN recruiting website.

But if there were no stupid people in the world, we wouldn't have stokers! :D :D :D