Isn't this how the Stazi Operated....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Jul 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

....And all teachers being up standing members of the community, on rock star wages, immune from paying people for cash in hand jobs or buying duty free 'baccy, will act as unpaid nonces for the Govt.

2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Pillow talk?

Hat coat taxi.

Neighbours don't even confide their tax details to each other unless it's to recommend a (perfectly legal) avoidance scheme or concession.
  3. Sir Sir Sir, Seadog said a funny Sir :)
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

From the link: "[...]but yesterday the Information Commissioner ordered it to end the policy, claiming that its official snooping had ‘gone too far’."

So it no longer happens then. However, how many of those who immediately jumped on the outrage bus over this one have petitioned their councils, transport companies and High Street merchants to stop recording on their own CCTV "security" surveillance systems when they're out and about? Or stopped phoning their banks because their "calls may be recorded for training purposes"? Taxis have been recording their occupants for some time; not only does it protect the drivers but also the passengers' safety. But hey; without some sensationalist spin, the story is actually rather boring...
  7. Actually, if you read on, it states that several other councils are awaiting the outcome of the current 'shceme' before deciding whether or not to copy it.

Whilst I am (relatively!) law abiding, I do not like this creeping Big Brother/1984 thing.

Don't call me, my mobile is switched off with the SIM card removed..............
  8. Nah, bollocks!

It's much more like North Korea where your comradely duty to the glorious state and beloved leader is greater and more noble than any family allegiance.

The Stasi put a bit of effort into beating you up.
  9. Ah, North Korea!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nothing wrong with 'big brother' using resources to root out the malefactors, as I recall most ships had a 'white rat' amongst it's crew.

11. Who when he went too far was taken behind the nearest bulkhead for a severe talking to.

12. Seadog

Why 'behind' and not 'in front' unless the nearest bulkhead is the collision bulkhead?

What is your idea of too far? Exposing bullies, drug abusers, molesters, fraudsters?

'What happens in the mess stays in the mess' is all very well so long as no-one is hurt and everyone turns to at 0800 and that applies to juniors, seniors and officers in my not so humble opinion.
  13. I think you're well aware what SB means and you're taking it to the nth degree there, that's SPB's job. I'm pretty sure you've come across people who are all to ready to tell tales to impress the higher ups or just out of spite.

It appears to me that on some threads when a comment is made it requires a definitive statement running to many pages to qualify said remarks, very boring IMHO.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Seadog

Actually Wrecker, I'm more concerned about 'higher ups' debriefing 'lower downs' (?) about the previous evening's booze fuelled activities among the seniors and/or officers. There seems to be more tale telling in that direction than the other in my recent experience.
  15. When you say 'definitive statement', exactly what do you mean? Can you qualify that remark?
  16. Yes.......................................
  17. I have to agree with that, also tends to be heavily laden with hypocrisy.
  18. See therein lies the divide. We are talking past tense in the main and you are saying "recent experience". Time is as you know relative.
    There are in all walks of life people who seem never to have learnt that discretion is at times paramount and that doing a "Nelson" is a necessity within certain situations, where the addage less said better mended applies.
    Alternativly "viva the white rat"^_~