Isle of Man TT Races.

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by taffscrivs, May 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's TT fortnight once again, a brilliant spectacle of the world's best motorcycle racing on beautiful Mona's Isle. Are any other RR members TT fans?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yep. Love it. I'm not into bike or motor racing as a rule but my mate showed me a video of an old grainy TT when I was a kid and I thought it was the most bonkers thing I've ever seen. Had a bit of a moment with it all in 2010 when Paul Dodds died and Conor Cumins got away with one big time and stopped watching for a bit. I got over it though. It's ****ing awesome.

3. Sure is Monty. Due to my son's motocross commitments I haven't been over to watch it since the Centenary event in'07, I was going this year but unfortunately my mate with the van had to cancel the trip. The TT experience is amazing, not just the racing which is mind blowing, but all the other events that compliment it. And Okell's beer is ace! Bike racing fans,put it on your to do list! On the telly 9pm (2100hrs), ITV4 every night for the next 2 weeks.

4. I've never been over to watch it in person but it's on my 'to do' list for sure.

5. My brother-in-law is a fanatical vintage motorbike restorer (as is his son, my nephew obviously) and they regularly take a couple of vintage machines over to race round the track on the vintage bike day.

I don't ride myself but keep meaning to go over with them, one day I'll do it!.

6. I went in 2010...mindblowing, managed to ride the course a couple of times. Unfortunatley my Oppo who I went with decided on forgetting how pants he is at riding and threw his bike down the road on the way home...spent an evening in Lister Hospital near Stevenage.

I'm up in Kendal for a piss up this weekend and might be able to sneak over for the Supersport Race and the combo quallies on Monday.....

7. Never made the Island, but went to the Bol d`Or 3 or 4 times 77-81 at the Paul Ricard Circuit.

8. Best fortnight of my life was spent doing fishery protection from Castletown in a Seaking during the TT!!!! I had a German exchange pilot who lived motor bikes. (He brought over 12 from Germany when he joined the squadron - OBLt Helmut Kist - One of life real characters!!!!) However, we had a superb time following the racing from 1000 feet. Even went down to rescue one rider after coming off the road. (Race help was to the south and we were closer.)

What a brilliant time - never got to meet any of the riders!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ahem...just got off from Keppel, the boys seem to be on the pace early this year. Bloody rain stopped play

10. Spotted a Royal Navy/Royal Marines tent in the lower paddock, seems to be a solo rider, any ideas? Still raining.

11. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There's a bootneck with own family team that does road racing and motocross.

Just the thoughts of a blonde, ex wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up!

12. I'm not sure if there are any RN boys riding but there are two RAF blokes entered. Not sure of their names, I'll try to find out. Best way to go to the TT is in a van with a couple of mates and take an enduro bike to ride the trails. You can get to all the best spots to watch the racing by riding across country. I took an'83 road reg kx 250 Kawasaki motocrosser in '07, great bike but drank fuel and real hairy on knobbly tires on tarmac. Still managed to do 16 miles of the TT circuit in 17 minutes on the old girl though! Camping on approved pitches is free as well, can't beat it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bit cold up Windy but steady sidecar practice, smaller bikes followed and behaved themselves, some damp in places. Tomorrow weather good which means scary times, that is if the sidecars don't drop anything they shouldn't, which is a bit of a sore point hereabouts so I'll keep me voice down

• Like Like x 1
  14. The two RAF men racing at the TT are Michael Russell, home town Kings Lynn and Bill Callister, home town Plymouth. I don't know of any other servicemen taking part. I reckon the best place to watch the sidecars is up at the Waterworks. Seeing two outfits racing side by side between those stone walls is just amazing. Sulby Glen Hotel is a good spot for watching solos, stand there with a pint of Okell's and the bikes come hammering by about six feet away doing around 190mph, awesome.

15. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bill Callister is RM and the guy I was referring to.

Just the thoughts of a blonde, ex wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up!

16. Sorry Jen I stand corrected. I got the info from 'Island Racer' magazine, obviously they got it wrong.

17. RAF PR at it again.

19. .Thanks for that you lot, the lad ran 115 in the superbike which is very handy indeed, his mum lives here as the Windy marshals forthrightly commented after Manx Radio said he was from Plymouth. Callister is a good Manx name and quite a few manxies have served in RM. Probably the lead in the drinking water.
    Superbike race tomorrow so we'll keep an eye, I'll be in the paddock later and tell him he's been noted.
    Frankly a bloody fast practice tonight, I wish Josh Brookes would try some conventional lines, he's beginning to worry me, practice week gone well with few incidents and no serious injuries, apart from the TM of course.

20. Brilliant win by Michael Dunlop, that young man seems to have nerves of solid steel.

• Like Like x 1