ISIS wanting to come home.

Ballistic

War Hero
This is a political win/win situation for Sajid Javid isn't it?

He revokes her British citzenship: he's a populist hero = win.

If the decision is overturned on appeal: he's the popular hero who tried his best but was beaten by 'the system' = win.

Call me cynical, but this situation has presented a golden opprtunity for a shrewd politcal move on his part.

Sumo

War Hero
This is a political win/win situation for Sajid Javid isn't it?

He revokes her British citzenship: he's a populist hero = win.

If the decision is overturned on appeal: he's the popular hero who tried his best but was beaten by 'the system' = win.

Call me cynical, but this situation has presented a golden opprtunity for a shrewd politcal move on his part.
Cynical

huwshpis

War Hero
. . .

@huwshpis Now her British citizenship has been removed, would there be British legal aid available as she would be challenging a potential unlawful ruling of her British Citizenship?
Legal aid is, in principle, available in these circumstances, but I don’t practice In the Immigration Tribunal system, so I don’t know if it’s been curtailed.

Meanwhile, same-same "Oh no she isn't! Vs Oh yes she is!" case is bubbling up over the Pond:

Trump says IS woman barred from US return

<<... "preposterous" that Mr Trump would call for European states to take back their citizens and "now is trying to play games when it comes to American citizens"...>>

Lawyer says: "Hoda Muthana had a valid US passport and is a citizen. She was born in Hackensack, NJ in October 1994, months after her father stopped being [a] diplomat."

Secretary of State says: "does not have any legal basis, no valid US passport, no right to a passport, nor any visa to travel to the United States". "Hoda Muthana is not a US citizen and will not be admitted into the United States,"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47313657

metocman

Lantern Swinger
Two things.

One - there are tens [if not hundreds] of thousands of people in South Armagh, the Bogside in Derry, Andytown in Belfast and various other places in the Province who also married into a terror organisation, and indeed even now hold some pretty anti-British or anti-Establishment beliefs. Those self same inhabitants of the Province would quite happily see you and I, as military servants of the Crown, in a ditch in Bandit Country with a 9mm headache. In fact, scrub 'the Province', add - Liverpool, Glasgow, Manchester , London - anywhere that there are large collections of the Irish.

Two - THIS is what happens when you allow the 'court of public opinion' free rein.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/vigilante-mob-attacks-home-of-paediatrician-710864.html

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/falsely-accused-belfast-man-slams-vigilante-paedophile-hunters-36450259.html

https://www.forces.net/news/new-wave-intimidation-paramilitary-groups-northern-ireland

The protection that the law enshrines for Shamima Begum (if she ever gets back to the UK, now doubtful) applies to, and protects, you and I my friend.

Edit - Shamima Begum was born in the UK (Bethnal Green in London to be exact) but because of familial connections with Bangladesh (her mother is a Bangladeshi citizen) she has right of abode in that state.

As I am also a native of that benighted province I was kind of hoping that these Shamima/ISIS cases were going to be a permanent change in the law, or at least a change in our interpretation of that law.

So if the Troubles ever did fire up again the UK government could say to Loyalist or Republican terrorists, "you have the right under the GFA to have citizenship in another country and now we remove your UK citizenship which includes access to benefits, NHS treatment, state pension etc. etc." I think it would go some way to dissuade people from playing soldiers in the middle of the night if they thought there would be a serious impact to their pockets.

Lets be honest. Most people in the Forces wouldn't mind a line of Charlie on a Saturday night or a quick puff of the whacky baccy in Amsterdam but the reason why 99% don't indulge is that they would lose their career and pension. Whereas the average civvy gets away with "possession for personal use".

slim

War Hero
As I am also a native of that benighted province I was kind of hoping that these Shamima/ISIS cases were going to be a permanent change in the law, or at least a change in our interpretation of that law.

So if the Troubles ever did fire up again the UK government could say to Loyalist or Republican terrorists, "you have the right under the GFA to have citizenship in another country and now we remove your UK citizenship which includes access to benefits, NHS treatment, state pension etc. etc." I think it would go some way to dissuade people from playing soldiers in the middle of the night if they thought there would be a serious impact to their pockets.

Lets be honest. Most people in the Forces wouldn't mind a line of Charlie on a Saturday night or a quick puff of the whacky baccy in Amsterdam but the reason why 99% don't indulge is that they would lose their career and pension. Whereas the average civvy gets away with "possession for personal use".
I do hope that you are speaking for yourself and not MOST PEOPLE.
If you want to use drugs then you should seriously consider fkn off from the armed services.

Sumo

War Hero

Never interested in anything other than alcohol

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
What has surprised me is some can call those that voted to leave the EU are xenophobic Bigot’s, they then come on to this thread, and show there true colours.
What 'true colours' are they then? Are you suggesting there's some or other hypocrisy because I am against a proven terrorist collaborator re-entering the country because she is unrepentant and you being labelled a bigot because of your unproven and irrational emnity against foreigners being your reason to vote leave?

You probably need to have a little think about this. I know thinking is difficult for you, especially when it comes to binary decisions which have far wider implications, but this one is a bit simpler.

Defend democracy, defend the principles of a civilised nation, and defend the rights to free speech, until they disagree with your opinions, amazing what a bit of cage rattling will do?

Nope. Me neither. What the flying **** does that mean, please?

Levers

Last edited:

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Presumably that very same finger which he will never use to firmly press that Red button if he was ever in a position obliging him to do so?
The man is a ******* shit stain on UK politics, and his ever-worsening Marxist bunch of ********* typify him and everything he stands for. If the Labour Party as a whole elected him and backs his selection of a Shadow Cabinet, they are wholly unworthy of anything resembling government. As I have suggested on here, were this nation to suffer another political aneurysm and vote with their ********* again, and this man ends up in Number Ten, I given it ten months before he is removed from power, either by military, civil uprising or by political means.

Levers

huwshpis

War Hero
I feel a strange sense of deja vu. Unelectable Labour Party, Derek Hatton back from the politically dead. Are we sure Corbyn isn't the zombie of Michael Foot?

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
I feel a strange sense of deja vu. Unelectable Labour Party, Derek Hatton back from the politically dead. Are we sure Corbyn isn't the zombie of Michael Foot?
It's almost as if the lessons from the past have never been learned. I mean, Corbyn has been in the house as a Marxist spectre since the disastrous 1983 collapse by the hideous Foot-led LP back then (which was more or less exactly the same as it is today).

Now we have no opposition to a weakened Tory party which is stumbling along, wounded, bleeding and dying.

Levers