ISIS wanting to come home.

Ballistic

War Hero
Sorry Bangladesh.
However the Bangladesh government in the past has stated that offspring of Bangladesh natives are entitled to Bangladesh citizenship.
Not in this case though:

How do you lose your citizenship?​

In the UK, someone can have their citizenship stripped by the home secretary, for the following reasons:
  • It is "for the public good" and would not make them stateless
  • The person obtained citizenship through fraud
  • Their actions could harm UK interests and they can claim citizenship elsewhere
Ms Begum was stripped of her citizenship for the public good reason.
The UK has responsibilities under international law to avoid people being left stateless. But in February 2020, a tribunal ruled that removing Ms Begum's citizenship was lawful because she was "a citizen of Bangladesh by descent".
But Bangladesh has said that is not the case and she would not be allowed into the country.
In many cases removing citizenship involves threats to national security, such as terrorism, or serious organised crime.
British citizens can also have their passports taken away.

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53428191

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Oh dear, how very, very sad for her........ NOT.

As above, some legal slime balls have just trousered 1000s for this, with probably more to come - who is paying? I've got an idea..... :(

Sorry Bangladesh.
However the Bangladesh government in the past has stated that offspring of Bangladesh natives are entitled to Bangladesh citizenship.
I'm sure they could put her up in one of the royhinga refugee camps. Every cloud, and all that... :)

huwshpis

War Hero
At last I can respond to BOOTWU and @Sumo. Sorry for the delay, chaps, but I've been down in Chatham trying to get a reduced sentence for a high-reading drink driver (65/100ml in breath, the limit's 35). To top it off he was also done for dangerous driving, going the wrong way up a slip road onto a dual carriageway at 0400. The District Judge decided it crossed the prison sentence threshold but he'd give the guy 100 hours community service, 15 days rehab and a curfew, coupled with an 18-month ban. Not too bad.

Anyway, back to our Bangladeshi ISIL bride. I've taken the time to read the judgment, and it's clear that the Supreme Court reckoned that the Court of Appeal had allowed itself to be persuaded down the wrong road. (Full marks to David Pannick QC for succeeding in the CA, but nul points in the final round). The European Convention on Human Rights only affected one small part of the case and the Supreme Court ruled that on the EHCR case-law, Ms B couldn't win that point. It also held, consistently with ECHR decisions, that the fact that Ms B couldn't win without digging deep into security-sensitive material meant that her case should be thrown out. That isn't unfair, because the law is about fairness to both sides.

As for trying to take the case further, Ms B is not covered by the ECHR, because she is not a citizen of a Council of Europe country (any more) and isn't physically present in such a country, so tough sh*t. If she wants to carry on with her main appeal, she can, but she won't be able to come here to do it, and it may be her lawyers will advise that she gives up because it will be too difficult for them to do the case without her.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I still have to pay minimal tax on my RN pension in the UK and the rest in Spain. Spanish tax is a much lower threshold and higher costs - luckily offset by the much reduced costs of gin!

Latest Threads