ishihara

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rachael, May 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. my son is 16 and has applied for the marines he has past his aptitude test had medical etc but he didn`t pass the ishihara test on the eye test my son really wants to join the marines will this affect his chances as he will be devasted he has been preparing for this months and has a personal trainer at his gym to prepare him he really wants this and I don`t want him to be disappointed.

2. One or two of the members on this board are actually recruiting staff in RN/RM Careers Offices and I'm sure that they will reply with a full explanation for you tomorrow.

In the meantime, could you tell me what your son has been told re his vision? BTW, did you know before this that he was colour-blind?

3. I've thought about this overnight and decided that the important thing is that you get in touch with your son's Careers Advisor at your local AFCO as soon as it opens this morning, as they will be best placed to advise you.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Colour Perception (CP)

There are four standards of colour perception graded as follows:
    Standard Test Specification. CP4 is the minimum acceptable entry standard for RM Commandos.

CP 1
    The correct recognition of coloured lights shown through the paired apertures on the Holmes-Wright lantern at LOW BRIGHTNESS at 6 metres (20 feet) distance in complete darkness

CP 2
    The correct recognition of 13 out of the first 15 plates of the Ishihara Test (24-Plate abridged Edition 1969) shown in random sequence at a distance of 75 cm under standard fluorescent lighting supplied by an artificial daylight fluorescent lamp (British Standard 950: 1967)

CP 3
    The correct recognition of coloured lights shown through the paired apertures on the Holmes-Wright lantern at HIGH BRIGHTNESS at 6 metres (20 feet) distance in complete darkness

CP 4
    The correct recognition of colours used in relevant trade situations, and assessed by simple tests with coloured wires, resistors,
    stationery tabs etc.

Personnel who fail to reach the minimum standard of colour perception are to be graded CP5 - failed trade test and colour
    expanses.

Methods of testing colour perception –
    Ishihara test

1. Ishihara plates are used as a screening for all entries.

2. Candidates who pass the Ishihara test are graded CP2 and require no further testing except for those whose critical visual task requires a categorisation of CP1.

3.Candidates who fail the Ishihara test are further tested for CP3 or CP4 according to requirement.

To re-iterate, he'll just undergo further tests to confirm he's CP4 or better.

Hope that helps & Good luck to him.

5. I do remember a spark being colour blind he still managed to overcome this problem. Not sure how??

Although the eyes are fading the Ishihara is still fine.

For those worrying about the test here is a small one.

http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm

6. thankyou for your advice spoke to careers officer even tho he didn`t pass that test he still meets the visual requirements and passed. I appreciate the time you spent helping me .Thankyou.