Is this where its going wrong?

andym

War Hero
I found this quote,it shows possibly where the RN is going wrong today.
"A wrongly tied knot hurt the Chief bosun's mate as keenly as though it had been tied with the strings of his heart.He lived for his knots and splices.His proudest posession was a Double Matthew Walker Knot mounted on a varnished board which had attracted the commendation of King George V during an inspection of the old Royal Oak.It was the Chief Bosuns mate's considered opinion that if They - meaning the mysterious and all-powerful Lords who administered the Navy from their fastness in Whitehall- paid more attention to knots and rigging and less to being nice to foreigners the Navy would not be in the state it was."

Dated in the 1950's :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blah blah blah - the Navy's rubbish - easy compared to my day - all the lads are useless - GANGES much better than RALEIGH - blah blah.

Sometimes I wonder why anyone bothers....

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
This sounds like an extract from 'We Joined the Navy' by John Winton. If you read the whole thing it describes the thoughts from several Branches, all of whom think that their Branch is the best one. A very amusing book - I used to give it to my cadets to read. But ultimately it is written tongue in cheek and should be taken that way.

andym

War Hero
silverfox said:
This sounds like an extract from 'We Joined the Navy' by John Winton. If you read the whole thing it describes the thoughts from several Branches, all of whom think that their Branch is the best one. A very amusing book - I used to give it to my cadets to read. But ultimately it is written tongue in cheek and should be taken that way.
You are correct!I just couldnt n ot post this bit as i read it.The whole series of 5 books has been reprinted and available form Amazon.I have waited nearly 20 years to get the set.They are the literary version of an Ealing Comedy with a string of reality,well worth reading! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hermes_R12 Where is HMS Bristol going ? The Quarterdeck 39
J where are we going next? The Quarterdeck 6
MoD_RSS Charity regulator issues Official Warning and Order against school where children were exposed to terrorist propaganda MoD News 0
huwshpis Where's Sumo? The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Application of building regulations where additional storeys are provided to existing buildings: circular 03/2020 MoD News 0
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
Q Where do I stand - Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
U Where can I find an address to send a reference to? RFA 2
P Where did we go? The Quarterdeck 9
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
T Posh CPO epaulettes- Where can I ware them? The Quarterdeck 30
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
B FMG Football Team - Where did we play? Bases / Shore Est 4
W Where does Phase 2 training take place for Catering service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
C Where the Royal Navy is operating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Where to get new uniform items? RFA 10
Keithdwat579 Where can I find the 1973 TV Show 'Warship'? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Service personnel want greater choice on where they get to live MoD News 0
D Where will I be based Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S where can I find World War Two D.S.M. citations? HMS Torbay Submariners 10
Stirlin I am a Precariat , where do you fit in ?. Diamond Lil's 25
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
W Where to send my papers, if at all? RFA 1
S Where does the RN stand with 'stress' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
drewfester Where can I hide?? Diamond Lil's 16
BillyNoMates Where the tough blokes live. Diamond Lil's 18
R Where people are joining from? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
Sputnick Where i am at the moment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
jesse Where be it to then? Diamond Lil's 4
dapperdunn Where's Wally? Current Affairs 5
Tomahawk Where might Trident go? Current Affairs 34
finknottle Where is he? Diamond Lil's 8
alexissonice Where is it likely that I will based? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
SONAR-BENDER Where's my sock......... Diamond Lil's 6
M Does anyone know where I can order RN Name badges to be delivered in a hurry-Exeter? The Quarterdeck 11
J If not in Syria when and where are we prepared to fight? Current Affairs 44
LujonSA Where is: some random inconsequential poster... The Gash Barge 28
Pontius Where's RR? Diamond Lil's 23
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
S OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN - RN OFFICER TRAINING DOCUMENTARY.. (where can I watch it?) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3