Is this where its going wrong?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by andym, Jun 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this quote,it shows possibly where the RN is going wrong today.
    "A wrongly tied knot hurt the Chief bosun's mate as keenly as though it had been tied with the strings of his heart.He lived for his knots and splices.His proudest posession was a Double Matthew Walker Knot mounted on a varnished board which had attracted the commendation of King George V during an inspection of the old Royal Oak.It was the Chief Bosuns mate's considered opinion that if They - meaning the mysterious and all-powerful Lords who administered the Navy from their fastness in Whitehall- paid more attention to knots and rigging and less to being nice to foreigners the Navy would not be in the state it was."

Dated in the 1950's :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. It probably started going wrong when they started referring to bends and hitches as knots.

3. Blah blah blah - the Navy's rubbish - easy compared to my day - all the lads are useless - GANGES much better than RALEIGH - blah blah.

Sometimes I wonder why anyone bothers....

4. Come now Geoffrey,talks cheap,explain youself.

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This sounds like an extract from 'We Joined the Navy' by John Winton. If you read the whole thing it describes the thoughts from several Branches, all of whom think that their Branch is the best one. A very amusing book - I used to give it to my cadets to read. But ultimately it is written tongue in cheek and should be taken that way.

6. You are correct!I just couldnt n ot post this bit as i read it.The whole series of 5 books has been reprinted and available form Amazon.I have waited nearly 20 years to get the set.They are the literary version of an Ealing Comedy with a string of reality,well worth reading! :eek: :eek: :eek: