Is This What They Really Think Of Us All?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by andym, Jun 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This has been posted on a different site.I have stolen it,and make NO apologies!

>> Subject: Soldiers are not heroes????!!
    >> Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:09:47 +0100
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Have a look at this guys and dolls!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >>
    >> I don't normally let shit like this get to me but when you read further down, you'll understand why I've written this...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> You don't need to be a member of facebook to understand this but that is where I heard about it.
    >>
    >> There's a group on facebook called 'Soldiers are not heroes', and basically it has about 450 members that are all pretty much slagging off the armed forces and VC / medal holders. I had a quick look earlier and am not only ******* enraged to find it's been made in Britain but also saddened that pricks like this can get away with it!!!
    >>
    >> Here's a little extract from the group...
    >>
    >> Does the thought of hero worshiping our armed forces make you want to vomit your spleen out?
    >> Are you a free thinker who is fed up of being told that soldiers deserve constant gushing praise?
    >> Stand up to these deranged killer sheep and show members of the armed forces what you really think of them and their participation in needless bloodshed.
    >>
    >> JOIN IN ONE BIG, WORLDWIDE PROTEST AGAINST ALL SERVING PERSONNEL.
    >>
    >> ALL SERVING PERSONNEL SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO WEAR THEIR UNIFORM SO LETS SHOW THEM WHAT WE REALLY THINK OF THEM!
    >>
    >> All you will need is:
    >> * A white T-Shirt – Any one will do
    >> * A phrase of protest such as the following to have printed on your shirt:
    >>
    >> (e.g)
    >>
    >> 'Peterborough 2008: I was there'
    >>
    >> 'Soldiers are not heroes, footballers are'
    >>
    >> 'Proud not to murder civilians for a living'
    >>
    >> 'Everyone knows soldiers are best covered in egg'
    >>
    >> 'How to scare a squaddie... Give him a spelling test'
    >>
    >> 'Don't be a fool, don't sign up!'
    >>
    >> ... You could put all sorts on there.
    >>
    >> The Idea is that we all get our t-shirts printed then on : ******* Bank Holiday Monday 25th August ******
    >> We all don our shirts and smugly toddle off out for the day in them.
    >>
    >> If you want to take part you don't have to do anything else but get the T-shirt and wear it all day... MASS protest and any one can do it... Alll you are doing is being seen publicly denouncing these mass murderers.
    >>
    >> How good would it feel to mosey on down your high street and see loads of other people going about their business and still taking part in a silent, peaceful yet effective protest?
    >>
    >> May i suggest that we keep it uniform (pun not intended) and all use the same or similar font/colour to print our message so that you instantly recognise your fellow free-thinker on the street. Will post some ideas ASAP.
    >>
    >> THIS GROUP DOES NOT CONDONE VIOLENCE OF ANY KIND. THIS WILL BE A PEACEFUL PROTEST AGAINST TAX-FUNDED HIRED KILLERS.
    >>
    >>
    >> As you can see these spineless pricks want to make a day of it on the 25th August, well I say ******* let them, I hope I'm on leave and one of these dicks walks past me with one of these t'shirts on. I just thought everyone should know about this and if possible, let these cowards know how we feel about them.

OK so now what will our response be?This was posted on Facebook!

2. Ignore them. They have the freedom to say that if they want, and we are here to protect that freedom, wheter we like what they're saying or not. Plus 450 faceless individuals hiding behind the safety of the internet aren't going to have much of an impact now are they. How many of these people do you think will actually carry out this protest? Even if they all did, 450 out of 60,000,000 people? Whose going to notice?
    Of course we could all go out looking for them and cofront them. Nothing like re-enforcing the idiotic idea that we're all violent thugs.

3. I feel ******* sick, 450 members. Where would they be without us. I too sincerely hope to see one of them on August 25th.

That has worked me up.

4. Why? What are you going to do? Tell them they're not allowed to protest about something they disagree with, however misguided their views are?
    There appears to be nothing illegal in what they're proposing so what do you suggest we do about it?

5. Its unsurprising, I know many people of my generation who and I am quoting him now "I'd rather kill myself than fight for the country."

Sad state our country is in, when people would rather believe that our Servicemen and Women are out "killing babies" than actually trying, under exceptionally difficult circumstances, to bring some of the freedoms we have to people who have been put down and threatened by dictatorships and violent fanatical regimes.

6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Wow, 450 "free thinkers" who need a website to tell them how to express their individuality, what would the world do without them?

7. personally, I'll follow him somewhere where there are no witnesses, ensure I'm not identifiable to him, then kick his fucknig head in!!!!

Why?

Because I can!

8. I may not like what they say, but people have died for their right to say it. Freedom of speech cannot be selectively applied. I personally think these "free thinkers" are misguided and mistaken, however it's their right to be that way :pukel:

9. Here, Here! They are entitled to their opinion (even if it is wrong!) If you don't agree with them then ignore them, they'll go away eventually. Always works with Naval officers. ^~

10. I can't even put into words how angry this makes me.

11. Just another example of what lives under a rock :toilet:

12. Ok, now I've calmed down and had my tea, I do see everyone's point that they have the right to free speech, so I'll not be kicking anyone's head in. I am absolutely furious at this though, but in context, out of the entire UK membership of Facebook, 450 isn't that many, and I'll wager that some of them are members of HMF joining the group just to defend themselves or indeed have a go.

I will be !!!

13. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I might not agree with you but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

or

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall -- you need me on that wall. We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.
    I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

14. These free thinkers are probably the same free loaders that rely on the benefit system to live. A system paid for by hard working people including some who are members of HM forces.

Still as they will no doubt let us all know, it's their right to draw benefits.

15. Based on what?

16. I've just had a look on facebook, there's a group actually petitioning for the removal for the group in question; it has 3500 members, 3000 more than "soldiers are not heros" I think that says something.

17. They are free to say what they like [even if 'we' don't agree] because:-

"Civilians sleep safely in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those that would do them harm"

:thumright:

RM

18. 450 OUT OF 60 MILLION. We don't seem to have too many ******* within our nation these days do we? Best ignored those sort of peeps,see what their cry will be if the shit ever hits the fan for them and they find their right to protest or their lives in jeopardy.W ill they all just lie down and let their throats be cut,their children eaten,their women raped etc?Ithink fcukin not sir. Soldier on lads and lasses,jack and jenny and all you serving members of this great nation. **** EM ALL..
    jEEEEZUS I'm angry.

never been angry before!!!!!!!!!!!!

UP SPIRITS........................SPLICEEEERS!!!!!!

19. No it's not what most of the population think, 450 people on Facebook is an insignificant number and there are plenty of misgiuded people prepared to voice these sorts of views, but while it is what that tiny number think, by far the majority don't think that way.

20. Experience of life :thumright:
    Prove me wrong if you have a facepal account and find out what most of them do or don't do for a living