Is this true?

PhillipJFry said:
Incidentally, does anyone else get fed up listening to these old diesel ratings yip on about how 'great' they were? A bloke in my office goes against the grain here by insisting how shoite they really were, and that living, working and sleeping in your own filth is not 'manly'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I am ex both and on balance diesel boats were best. It wasn't the cramped accomodation, the smell, the basic catering, the foul air after a long dive, or the lack of fresh water, but the cameradery from living in such shite conditions that made the diesel boats special.

I enjoyed my SSN time too, but for different reasons. I am glad I sertved in both but the diesel time was the best.

Quantum

Badgeman
When I went through training in the late 70's RO(SM) was a part three option at Mercury. IIRC we all got bussed down to Dolphin and given the tour and a talk on how great the Submarine service was. I was impressed and wanted to join, but it was the SETT which was responsible for my confinement to skimmerdom in a way, before we went back to Mercs we did a peak flow meter test the results of which apparently would have meant instant death in the tank, so that was it. I'm sure that those who were accepted went off to Dolphin for part of their training before coming back to finish off at Mercury then back to Dolphin for further training in light and soap aversion ( :lol: ) before going to sea to do their part 3 submarining (usually on a loan draft I believe, but may be wrong) then on to their first proper draft. I had several good mates who went that way and they remained so for as long as we served (of course some turned into Buntings instead, but that's another story...)

The point is though, that for communicators Boats was always an option from civvy street if you look at it that way.

Polycell

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
PhillipJFry said:
Incidentally, does anyone else get fed up listening to these old diesel ratings yip on about how 'great' they were? A bloke in my office goes against the grain here by insisting how shoite they really were, and that living, working and sleeping in your own filth is not 'manly'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I am ex both and on balance diesel boats were best. It wasn't the cramped accomodation, the smell, the basic catering, the foul air after a long dive, or the lack of fresh water, but the cameradery from living in such shite conditions that made the diesel boats special.

I enjoyed my SSN time too, but for different reasons. I am glad I sertved in both but the diesel time was the best.
I haven't heard anyone say how individually great they were. I did, like Maxi, time in nukes (Bombers) and even more time in diesels and for me diesels win hands down.
OK so it was sheer bliss being able to have a shower every hour, scran that didn't have a side order of diesel, having a cart that didn't have a rancid smell every time you unzipped the sleeping bag, having the contents of your head sucked out every time they put a snort on etc etc.
I found the muppetts on Bombers a shower of prima donnas. The members of senior rats mess spent their off watch time bickering taken side swipes at each other god was I glad to get off.
So go tell the bloke in your office if he ain't every done it how can he gob off about it.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Polycell said:
Maxi_77 said:
PhillipJFry said:

I haven't heard anyone say how individually great they were. I did, like Maxi, time in nukes (Bombers) and even more time in diesels and for me diesels win hands down.
OK so it was sheer bliss being able to have a shower every hour, scran that didn't have a side order of diesel, having a cart that didn't have a rancid smell every time you unzipped the sleeping bag, having the contents of your head sucked out every time they put a snort on etc etc.
I found the muppetts on Bombers a shower of prima donnas. The members of senior rats mess spent their off watch time bickering taken side swipes at each other god was I glad to get off.
So go tell the bloke in your office if he ain't every done it how can he gob off about it.

Pity you didn't get an SSN Poly, best of both worlds as far as I can see (but never had an SSK or a bomber so a bit biased)

WreckerL said:
Polycell said:
Maxi_77 said:
PhillipJFry said:

Pity you didn't get an SSN Poly, best of both worlds as far as I can see (but never had an SSK or a bomber so a bit biased)

Certainly I understand Poly's point, I avoided bombers like the plague during my time, and I even had a UC who claimed to be gay to fail PV to avoid being drafted to bombers, they didn't believe him. Most of my mates were not that enthusiastic about them though some liked the certainty of family time.

No SSNs were good especially the ones which went up north, but in a diesel boat the whole atmosphere was different

Polycell

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
WreckerL said:
Polycell said:
Maxi_77 said:
PhillipJFry said:

Certainly I understand Poly's point, I avoided bombers like the plague during my time, and I even had a UC who claimed to be gay to fail PV to avoid being drafted to bombers, they didn't believe him. Most of my mates were not that enthusiastic about them though some liked the certainty of family time.

No SSNs were good especially the ones which went up north, but in a diesel boat the whole atmosphere was different[/quote]
Especially if the boat hadn't been opened up for a snort for a couple of days!! Rank I think the term is!! But we never smelt it!!