is this normal?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Ja5on, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was at the King Alfred presentation meeting tuesday and couldn't help notice everyone but me was joining or looking to join as an officer. Is this common or just a one off.
  2. A one off, more people join the RNR as ratings and then potentially take a commision form within the RNR.

3. I think it depends on the unit. Some units seem to attract more interest from officer types than others.
  4. When I had my presentation evening about a year or so ago at King Alfred, the majority were enquiring about being an officer. I have to say though, from that group of about 20, I am now the only rating left attending from it, and also, from what I can see, there are no "officer types" left either.
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Normal for people to want to join as an Officer - many won't make it though.

Far better to go in as a rating and see where you get to - more fun, more interesting deployments and you are of far more value to the RNR as a trained rating, than as an untrained officer.
  6. So it's 'one off', 'depends' and 'normal'.

Sort that one out.
  7. On limited acquaintance I'd say it's not unusual. However, did you notice that advice was being dispensed about the value of joining as a rating and then considering commission? (I didn't when I came in - went DE officer, but then I'm not far short of 40 and so I've got less time to explore options.)

Don't let it bother you. If you really want to be an officer, go for it, but as an officer you spend a lot of time managing and organising instead of actually getting to _do_ stuff. (Note - as an RNR OC this is observation not experience. As a "team leader" in civilian life it's painfully true).
  8. I heard a buzz last week that, if true, will leave all but you disappointed. The buzz is that DE is being scrapped. Everybody will join as a rating and then take their chances through the UY scheme or its RNR equivalent.

I have to emphasise that it is just a buzz - I was told it by somebody who knew somebody who had a mate who was at a briefing etc.
  9. Don't worry I want to be a rating I was just worried about being the only rating on new entry training. It's nice to have someone to help you out if your not good at something, which for me would probably be marching and paperwork.
  10. I'd heard that one too; exceptions will be AW/Med/QARRNS. Nothing official, AFAIK, but it does seem odd given that the reason for bringing in DE was to shorten the officer training pipeline.

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

This may have something to do with rumours that it will be made easier for serving SUY's to get selected, ie; not having to jump through hoops before AIB by organising summer fetes etc and getting to AIB in around the same time as a civvy applicant??
  12. In the reserves, the DE officer scheme is a really bad idea - "thrown in at the deep end" far too much.

The Germans have an interesting system - as I understand it they have no DE officers - all their officers are selected from the lower deck, and they have to have done X many years at different rates. Minimum of leading hand I think but could be wrong.
  13. The Deutsche Marine website (via dubious Google translation) suggests that all officer selection is done after National Service - so all officers have done 2 years' lower deck (or Heere/Luftwaffe other rank) service - I suspect that is a function of length of training pipeline vs. return of service.

14. My medical was being delayed whilst the AFCO were waiting to hear from my RNR unit if they'd take DE. In the end they let me do the medical as it is same for officer/rating. So that is what I've heard...

Guess it might make my decision about which route to take easier.
  15. I'm pretty sure that silverfox referred to that about a year ago, nice to see the wheels turn quickly. got to say I'm in firm agreement with that, the idea that doing YO level SLJs helped to demonstrate that an experience CPO had commissioned potential was always bizarre.
  16. Regardless of an individual's ambitions, all applicants to the RNR with no previous RN or other military experience should be channelled through the lower deck. This gives them the grounding and 'blue streak' for them to build on and Raleigh provides a great way to determine their potential for officer. If they are joining for the uniform and gin then perhaps they are not the right sort.

DE officer entry is to be binned with CW candidates being identified as they move through NE training and Raleigh.