Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this just kicking up a fuss for the sake of it?

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
IMD - thanks for your comments. I completely agree that it is unnacceptable to make a mistake in something as sensitive as this - I haven't seen anyone defend the action of the medals office in this. I would imagine that a in depth investigation is going on right now to work out what happened to see that the letter A was provided in the medal.

My own view is that something went wrong somewhere in the reporting chain, and that for some reason, no one past a certain point noticed that the letter A should not have been there. This is not good enough.

As for the Visiting Officer- that is a very good suggestion, and one that I would suggest you write to the JPAC to suggest. I'm not clear on whether the family spoke to the BVO though, or if they are still in contact with them.

As for Pink Princesses point, that is also very fair. Its hard to describe just how low morale is for the civilian contingent at the moment in the MOD. We seem to have become the whipping boy for every failing that exists, no matter where it has come from, or if it is caused by civil or military people. It is incredibly frustrating to see that people you work with, who were so proud of working for MOD, have become so bitter that performance pay arrangements hoisted on them, or procurement cock ups owing more to military indecision and not the actions of an admin clerk should be blamed on the MOD CS. People are hacked off and feel that while the MOD CS has made plenty of mistakes over the years, and still has its share of jobsworths, we feel that we are being put up as the sacrifical lamb, without anyone bothering to defend us.

alacrity174

War Hero
PT

I understand the first part of your post, but please can we leave the bleeding MoD CS hearts part out. There is a time and place for this type of post, but has no bearing on the subject at hand.

This lady's case should have been handled much differently which I think is something we all agree on.

To your points on Terms of Employment within MoD please refer to your politico boses for that.

NotmeChief

Banned
alacrity174 said:
This lady's case should have been handled much differently which I think is something we all agree on.

We may all agree that it should/could have been handled better, but some post are right over the top with there silly 'outraged' comments.

We don't even know if this was a MoD error and as for the comments about writing, no one except the woman knows in what manner or what was said in the phone call.

I think some on here have gone a little over the top in their condemnation, the MoD have offered to pay return postage, a generous gesture.

pinkprincess

Lantern Swinger
I was not talking about low morale from a civilian perspective, I am relatively new to the MoD and think that the soft, lazy-a*rsed whingers should man up and grow a set.

We have a job to do to support our troops. I could earn twice what I do now if I worked in private industry but I would not be able to make a difference for those that have the courage to stand and fight for my freedom, for my independence, if I was there.

If you don't like the pay or the terms and conditions within the MoD, get out, you'll soon wish you hadn't.

What we don't need is Defence and the efforts of those of us that are trying to make a differnece vilified by a stupid, blinkered media furore.

Rant over.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
NotmeChief said:
She must have released this to the media and for what reason we will never know.

Indeed. As i stated before, the Outrage bus can remain parked.

alacrity174

War Hero
[/quote]

We may all agree that it should/could have been handled better, but some post are right over the top with there silly 'outraged' comments.

We don't even know if this was a MoD error and as for the comments about writing, no one except the woman knows in what manner or what was said in the phone call.

I think some on here have gone a little over the top in their condemnation, the MoD have offered to pay return postage, a generous gesture.[/quote]

NMC

Sorry mate, I don't see the MoD offering to pay return postage as very generous, infact it it the very least they could do. If your ordered something from the internet and it arived with the wrong name on it you as a consumer would demande return postage be paid and the replacement shipped out PDQ for free. Why do you expect there to be any difference for this instance?

alacrity174

War Hero
I don't see too many on here riding any bus, however I do see a lot of people who are annoyed that "they" cannot get the small things right, isn't it the attention to the small details that really distinguishes a great organisation?

What I am most concerned about is the perceived shoddy attitude from the person this lady contacted at MoD. Now I am sure that this individual doesn't speak for all CS, but stories like this can only damamge the already fragile reputation MoD CS has right now. Deserved or not, right or wrong this is how the Serpants are seen by Joe Public.

pinkprincess

Lantern Swinger
Sadly the peole tha tman the call centres for the MoD are treated extremely poorly. This means that staff turnover is high and the expertise and manners that were once inherent in customer services fall by the wayside to some extent.

Someone once pointed out one of their jobs to me, my response was, "In there? On that? Doing that? For that? Get fcuked"

To be fair, many of those staff, despite their poor treatment, really do care and are helpful to a fault, as always, the few bad apples spoil the barrel, or at least, one's perception of said barrel.

Latest Threads