Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this just kicking up a fuss for the sake of it?

Flagdeck

War Hero
I wonder if this someone, without malice or agenda who fcuked up is in receipt of some of the £47m bonus at the MOD. Efficiency payment obviously. :pukeleft:

alacrity174

War Hero
To all who seem to think this is just some minor detail, please remember that this poor lady is having the worst time of her life right now and maybe you will see it is a big deal to her. This is how her son is remembered by the Country he died for and they can't get a simple fact like his name right.

I wonder if you would all be so calm and laid back if your pension cheque arrived with the wrong initial on and the Bank refused to accept it, would this then be a big deal to you?

Yes mistakes happen, we are human and that is one constant, however for the lady to be told to write in and ship the originals back before they will move forward is a travesty, there must be better ways to handle this type of situation from MoD side.

Seadog

War Hero
Still, through the grief and anger there appears to have been time to call a journo. Another grieving mother or widow with which to beat the MOD or our hapless Prime Minister. Happy days for journos.

I sympathise for her loss but not the appearance of an extraneous initial. Mistakes happen, the MoD (uniformed and civilian) is full of bad spelling bastards. Some end up posting on Rum Ration. Takes cover.........

Don't keep me a place on the bus, I'll walk.

Seadog said:
Still, through the grief and anger there appears to have been time to call a journo. Another grieving mother or widow with which to beat the MOD or our hapless Prime Minister. Happy days for journos.

I sympathise for her loss but not the appearance of an extraneous initial. Mistakes happen, the MoD (uniformed and civilian) is full of bad spelling bastards. Some end up posting on Rum Ration. Takes cover.........

Don't keep me a place on the bus, I'll walk.

So you are suggesting that grieving relatives that feel the system has let them down should keep quiet?

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Fuckwitts have worked at the MoD since it began. This story does not surprise me in the least to be honest. Although i feel for the woman in question and this is not right, it happens more than you think. It will continue to happen until someone gets a grip. Hopefully, now this story is out in the open, things may get sorted out. No doubt the MoD have received numerous complaints in the past and have done their usual trick of ignoring it "Coz we is the MoD innit". Now it's out, well, we'll see. Like the word "Walt", the "Outrage Bus" is being overused. This story is extremely annoying and disrespectful, but at least the goons are going to sort it. We hope.

alacrity174 said:
however for the lady to be told to write in and ship the originals back before they will move forward is a travesty, there must be better ways to handle this type of situation from MoD side.

Why is it a travesty? Everyone is berating the MOD for slack drills in fcuking this up in the first place, yet now you want them to overlook a procedure to ensure that it is now done correctly.

Clown_Puncher said:
alacrity174 said:
however for the lady to be told to write in and ship the originals back before they will move forward is a travesty, there must be better ways to handle this type of situation from MoD side.

Why is it a travesty? Everyone is berating the MOD for slack drills in fcuking this up in the first place, yet now you want them to overlook a procedure to ensure that it is now done correctly.

My suspicion is that this has hit the fan not because of the request that the 'complaint' be put in writing but rather the way that the request was put. Serpents do not like their mistakes being found out and this person may well have tried to discourage the return in the hope that the cock up didn't come to the notice of his/her superiors. Remeber the mega bonuses being paid out these days to the MOD.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I wouldnt call the £300 (before tax) that the average CS gets a mega bonus!

It seems perfectly sensible to ask them to write in, as they need to know for certain that this is genunie. How do you tell this isn't a wind up without proof? What if the Sun had set it up, and the MOD had just sent out a medal willy nilly?

Purple_twiglet said:

Perhaps but if it is all you are going to get it is important to you. There is however a generic problem about getting any form of serpent to correct a mistake they have made if there is any way they can avoid it.

Of course as you suggest it could be a wind up, but it does have a strong ring of truth to it.

alacrity174

War Hero
Clown_Puncher said:
alacrity174 said:

Clown

Yes I want them to overlook a procedure, seeing as they messed up in the first place they need to be the ones to correct the error.

It is indeed a travesty, we have all at one stage or another been on the end of some supercilious self important government employed idiot, I suspect this poor lady in her moment of grief got such an idiot. Unfortunately it seems you are part of the same clan.

alacrity174

War Hero
Purple_twiglet said:

It seems perfectly sensible to ask them to write in, as they need to know for certain that this is genunie. How do you tell this isn't a wind up without proof? What if the Sun had set it up, and the MOD had just sent out a medal willy nilly?

PT
What seems sensible for a small matter such as address change etc is fine, but for something that concerns the death of a loved one then the system needs changing. Nobody has said that MoD should have just shipped out another medal, what we are saying is firstly get it right first time, secondly on the occasion something does go awry deal with is respectfully and have the onus on MoD not the bereaved relative.

Is this really too much to ask?

Plus get over the bonus crack, some of us aren't getting one this year and are just thankful to have a job, if you don't like it slap your notice in.

Bergen

ADC
Purple_twiglet said:

There must be something added to MoD water that turns everyone who drinks it into an evasive, slope-shouldered, irresponsible, twinkle-toed, cock-sucker.

Mrs. Smith telephones MoD and says 'You have spelled my dead son's name incorrectly. It's Smith not Smiff'

Slimey, twinkle-toed, cock-sucker cross-checks the casualty repatriation list and has a Come To Jesus moment. It doesn't matter who is on the other end of the 'phone - the name is spelled incorrectly.

RM

Bergen said:
Purple_twiglet said:

There must be something added to MoD water that turns everyone who drinks it into an evasive, slope-shouldered, irresponsible, twinkle-toed, cock-sucker.

Mrs. Smith telephones MoD and says 'You have spelled my dead son's name incorrectly. It's Smith not Smiff'

Slimey, twinkle-toed, cock-sucker cross-checks the casualty repatriation list and has a Come To Jesus moment. It doesn't matter who is on the other end of the 'phone - the name is spelled incorrectly.

RM

It is not somnething confined to MOD serpentry, it pervades all of them. Back in the summer I bought a new PLB for my boat, now this needs to be registered with the MCA, so straight way I filled out the form and posted it of (adding it to my radio licences took all of 10 minutes online) and last week got the acknowledgement back. Now I know the MCA have problems, their pay is so poor the last time they raised the minimum wage they had to get a special pay rise to stay within the law, but two months to type out a letter and two labels must be an all time record.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Guys

I think you are getting far too outraged here. The MOD hasn't denied responsibility, the MOD has been clear that a mistake was made, and that is unacceptable. The reason she was asked to write in, was because you need to confirm that this is a genuine call.

How would you like it if you got an Elizabeth Cross, and someone rang up the MOD claiming that the name had been spelt incorrectly, and got a new one sent to you, which was deliberately a new name (for instance a married or maiden name from an old relationship, unearthing difficult memoes?). Don't underestimate just how nasty and petty some people can be, and it is entirely feasible that some disturbed individuals, or lunatics, or journalists would try such a stunt if they could. What is worse, asking for a letter to confirm this is a genuine problem, or just randomly doling out medals, and causing potentially far more upset?

I think people are getting far too outraged here. Everyone accepts a mistake was made, everyone knows things will need to improve in future, but to go off on one over a single letter, designed as a processs to protect the family from wider problems is overkill. Please, just let it rest.

Sparrowhawk01

Lantern Swinger
Good job we aren't taking the same kind of casualties as Vietnam or Korea, god forbid WWI or II, how would we have coped with all the clerical errors. FFS!
Lets face it, it is an unfortunate mistake that can be corrected with very little effort. It is more important that it is dealt with sympathetically I reckon.

I

In_my_day

Purple_twiglet said:
Guys

I think you are getting far too outraged here. There's definitely over use of the word "outrage". I'm not outraged; I am annoyed with the people that complied and cross checked whatever paperwork was produced to obtain the medal, etc , disappointed that there is an apparent acceptance that the bereaved will just have to put up with this type of bureaucratic dysfunction and empathetic to the situation in which the bereaved mother finds herself. The MOD hasn't denied responsibility, the MOD has been clear that a mistake was made, and that is unacceptable.This is all well and good but having been involved in producing medal lists at Unit level I know the level of confirmation that is required. Apparently some are content that this should not be a requirement at Ministry level. The reason she was asked to write in, was because you need to confirm that this is a genuine call. ]Acknowledged but an unacceptable procedure. The Unit's BVO should have been contacted by MoD via the CoC and he or she should have gone to the house to apologise on behalf of the Service and make the required arrangements.
How would you like it if you got an Elizabeth Cross, and someone rang up the MOD claiming that the name had been spelt incorrectly, and got a new one sent to you, which was deliberately a new name (for instance a married or maiden name from an old relationship, unearthing difficult memoes?). But surely this is the same point of view of those of us that don't accept the mistake is acceptable? The lady IS in this position NOW. Don't underestimate just how nasty and petty some people can be, and it is entirely feasible that some disturbed individuals, or lunatics, or journalists would try such a stunt if they could. What is worse, asking for a letter to confirm this is a genuine problem, or just randomly doling out medals, and causing potentially far more upset?
I think people are getting far too outraged There it is again! here. Everyone accepts a mistake was made, everyone knows things will need to improve in future, but to go off on one over a single letter, designed as a processs to protect the family from wider problems Has it done this ie is the process functioning to an acceptable level of protection for the family? is overkill. Please, just let it rest.

IMD

pinkprincess

Lantern Swinger
The problem is, the MoD is under serious media attack at the moment.

Every little thing is picked on and blown up out of all proportion. The outrage is aimed at the Government, the anti-war campaign and at the push to reduce spending on Defence.

Joe Public is getting the wrong sort of propaganda here. Yes, things are not good when we don't have enough helicopters, when Service Personnel are supplementing their own kit and when we are working on shoe-string budget when trying to keep people alive but the media message is taking the wrong tack now.

The people of this country need to strongly support their Military. We need more money in Defence, more resources, better decision-making in certain quarters and enough spirit to give those on Ops a much needed boost to morale.

This kind of gutter-press reporting is doing us harm, we need the people behind us, not against us.

Latest Threads