Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR here?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Powder, Feb 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do you think of it? It would be interesting for me to hear.

Pros / Cons please people :)

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Its an interesting uint - large N/E and Gunrooms which means you'll be well looked after in basic training, and you'll get a lot of good entry level exposure to the sort of events that the RNR does. There is still a bit of a 'stigma' about HMS PRESIDENT, mainly due to the perception that its some kind of floating gin palace, but this is slowly dying off.

That said, the unit is about the people and I'd say its like any other RNR unit - some really good, others okay and a few complete f*ckwits. Up to you which ones you emulate and associate with!

3. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

Ooh floating gin palace.. Sound very nice haha :D
    I have been upto HMS. President before to see the Presentation team with Soleil, it looked very nice (despite waiting at the other HMS President that sits on Thames for about 10 minutes before hand! :oops: )
    I know there is a lot of controversy about potential RN recruits joining up to the RNR whilst waiting in the application process, but it sounds right up my street when I heard about it and will hopefully give me an insight, and would be something id definitly consider joining after I hopefully finish my service.
    I put down my first choice for BRNC April 2011, this gives me over a year before I'd even start training, so its not as if its a few months, and I may not even be fortunate enough to pass FATs (next step) or AIB.
    How do I go about joining up then? I am 17 years old and still at School doing A-levels. I looked at HMS. President under the RNR on the RN website, but it pretty much said just come along to the next open evening (which is in March). I am a little unsure about how I go about applying for it. Do I call up a number to show my interest and get sent forms? Or is there an email address? Also would I have to redo the medical and PJFT or would my current AFCO be able to transfer it all over?
    Thank you very much in advance.

Powder

4. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

I think that you'll find it's exactly what it says, an open evening, so you just turn up and you'll be made welcome.

5. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

Thank you to both of you for that.

Do you know If I will have to resit the RT test/opticians/PJFT/Medical and interview again or will I be able to transfer it over from my current application?
    I understand that it is a different organisation so to speak so I may very wel have to do this, however, it seems like a bit of a waste of time and money if I already have it down on paper that I have completed them fairly recently.

Ill sign off this application form then.

Thanks again, It is very much appreciated.

Alex

6. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

Once you have attended the open evening (hint: come into the junior rates mess after and have a chat with us. We'll tell you how great the RNR is) you leave you details with the course staff, setting the perverbial ball rolling.

Once you are signed off on your Rt test, PJFT and Medical with the RNR it's all transferable (I believe). Just talk to the staff in charge of the New Entry course.

I would definately recommend coming to HMS President. The New Entry course is well structured, and there are regular PT sessions that are as close to Raleigh as you'll get. (Plus you get paid to attend them)

It's a great bunch of people at Raleigh and the sports & expeds are great. It's all about how involved you want to get.

Kaiser

7. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

Mr Muscle(Kaiser) also provides great advice as well as cleaning ovens....

8. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

Can you tell me how great the RNR is? I've been in over a decade and am sick of the cr*p attitude of the establishment and the inabilities of JOs who can't hold down a regular job, yet believe they can be leaders of men (and women)..

9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Bless, did somebody get out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

Would a cuddle and a cup of tea make you feel better princess?

10. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

And you sound like you have an awesome attitude too sweetheart.

11. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

Then you are clearly an utter fcuknugget for sticking around that long.

I'm pretty sure it was Sir Francis Drake who stated
    Since you don't have to submit notice in the Reserves (well not in practice anyway) why don't you just do one?

12. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

I've been in the RNR a couple of years now. I think two weeks at Raleigh with the RNR will set you up well for the full nine weeks at Raleigh with the regulars - I would say you would be ahead of the game when you do go with the regulars, compared to someone who had not undergone RNR training, and be in a good position to help out those who've not had the benefit of that experience.

Met a few folk from President, all good lads and lasses. Not heard the Gin Palace rumour, sounds like an outdated reputation to me

13. Re: Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR her

Thought I would let you lot know the outcome.

Got an email back a couiple of days ago saying that due to me already signing up to the RN, I will not be able to join as they wont get their moneys worth etc, especially with the budget cuts.
    Wished me luck with my RN application and reminded me that if full time service isnt for me, RNR will always be there.

Nice guy.