Is there an intake before September 2011?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by norriz606, Jan 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know the first few people coming to answer this question will be expecting to answer this question with the old 'Ask your fcuking ACLO, that's what she's there for!'. However, I have tried this with no success what so ever.

I passed my board for Warfare Officer GS and was told that there was no Jan '11 intake for this branch, is the next opportunity for a BRNC intake September? I only ask as I took my board in October last year and as my pass expires this October I am unsure whether to start preparing to get a better score on my next AIB or just carry on working and waiting for the post!

Many thanks
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be honest, I've not yet seen the manning breakdown by trade for Officer intakes this year.

There is an April entry, but it's not clear what it will be made up from other than shortage trades such as WE/ME and submariner trades will probably take preference.

Your ACLO, as useless as they may outwardly appear to some, is indeed your definitive reference source and should at least be able to tell you, going by your AIB scores, whether you are likely to make the cut for selection before your AIB expires.

Most ACLOs will be on leave (17 Dec- 04 Jan), but it maybe worth sending an email (AFCO Link below, subject line - FAO: Your ACLO) to request an update & to ensure your ACLO has the correct contact details/postal address etc.

Very often we find applicants neglect to keep us updated with mobile numbers each time they flush one down the bog & when they move home from uni, etc.

If you are completely "dischuffed" with your ACLO simply outline your grievances in a brief letter, addressed to the Regional Recruiting Officer, care of your AFCO for further investigation.

Best of luck.
  3. There is a BRNC intake very early in May this year. Normally it would be an April intake but I think that it falls just into May in 2011 because we have a late Easter.

Edited to say: Sorry, Ninja - you and I were typing at the same time and when I began my reply I couldn't see your one.

4. The way I understand it, and this could be incorrect, a pass at AIB doesn't guarantee entry to BRNC anyway. If there are more people with higher scores than you, than there are places, you wont get in e.g. if there are 10 places and 10 people who have passed AIB for the same branch with a higher score than you, you'll not get a place, so entry after Jan 2011 and before your pass expires is not guaranteed so carrying on preparing and doing work won't hurt, but sitting back and doing nothing while you wait might.

I stand by to be corrected if I'm wrong!
  5. Standby for someone more knowledgable on this subject, but I'm sure you're aware of the May intake for this year.
    However I recall reading some intakes are one role centric, so if you were told September is the next intake, it could well be that May is fully booked for the relatively lower number of Warfare candidates and they are pushing people towards September.

edit again- Although I don't believe they start sorting out applicants for the next term until 4-6 weeks before it commences, so May won't be being looked at for candidates until March I think.

Once again, standby for someone to confirm, or indeed tell me to do one with this information.

edit- good lord a lot of people posted while I was typing this out.
    I shouldn't have gone for that coffee without hitting refresh first :wink:
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Good call. :wink:

Edit:C'mon everybody, do keep up.
  7. I can only say what I've personally been told but myself and several other Warfare applicants from December AIBs have been told to be confident of a May entry by Captain AIB. Such would suggest that May is a viable entry date for a sizeable cohort of GS Warfare. That is based on the assumption that Captain AIB is perhaps more acquainted with the manning figures for the year than most ACLOs.
  8. I stand corrected.
  9. While he may know 'the score' I'm pretty sure he does not keep such details to himself given that it's the ACLOs are required to ensure the machine gets its fuel... :roll:
  10. Ninja_Stoker

It is also perhaps worth remembering that your AIB scores are relevant to the likely entry date given by your ACLO.
  11. Very helpful answers, thank you all. I am back to keeping fingers crossed and start preparing for another AIB as my pass was only 'An average pass', which doesn't fill me with the most confidence as I presume all of the Warfare applicants hoping to get into Januarys intake will be transferred to Mays list.. Which I suppose puts me further down the rankings as there must be hundreds of us! I will be back trying to get hold of my ACLO as of tomorrow morning.
  12. Anyone having to do unexpected preparation for their AIB, find help here on eBay:

eBay Listing

Includes 11x Navy News magazines up to January 2011, copies of The Week magazine, a Planning and SDT workbook from How2Become and a book on Royal Navy Ships.

I only want enough to cover the postage costs really.