Is there a way

Discussion in 'History' started by ElectroDreams, Aug 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can find out information regarding my Grandad who served with the RN, all I have is a name and district he lived in. unfortunately i don't have any ex services numbers or ranks ect.
  2. When did he serve?
  3. If he was an AB/stoker called Knocker White, you're fresh out. If he had an unusual name or he is memorable for any other reason (e.g. heroism, terrorism or alcoholism) you may get lucky. Give us his name and where he lived; you never know, somebody might be able to help.
  4. His name was Leslie Grainger from Southport and thats all I know for now, I am going up there on the weekend to try find out more information from his brothers wife ( the only living relation left) but I'm not sure if they know more then I do.
  5. It might be possible to obtain his Service Record through Portsmouth.

When did he serve (approximately)?
  6. Thats what i need to find out at the weekend
  7. If he joined the Navy in or after 1923 then only the next of kin can get details - they should contact:

RN Disclosures Cell
    Room 48
    West Battery
    Whale Island
    PO2 8DX

Telephone: 02392 628779/ 02392 628781

If he joined before 1923 his recoords will be held by the National Archives at Kew. This link may help.

National archives
  8. Thanks for the responses, I've been unable to get any further information and his next of kin (His brother) has also passed away.
  9. If you are still wanting to find out about your Grandfather there are still plenty of sources of information but you need to be prepared to do a bit of detective work. Fortunately a lot of can be done on-line. Most of the larger public libraries have a family history section that can get you started by finding the records for Births of key individuals like your great uncle that you said had recently passed away. This gives you the names and addresses of their parents and their movements can be tracked through the Census records, street directories and the electoral register. Parish records for christenings also help. As I understand it, once you have the name and date of birth of your Grandfather you should be able to ask about seeing his service records. By any chance are there any of his medals still around - they should have a Service number on them?