Is there a requirement for pull-ups?

Aaa

Midshipman
I have some time to train but I can't do a whole lot and after I tried for the first time in a while I got inflammation in both my elbows. This could be because I was also doing some heavy curls afterwards but that didn't happen before.

shinson

Lantern Swinger
No, there isn't a min requirement - however if you can do 5 then the PT staff will want 6.

Try doing negatives instead of actual pull ups? I have found these help a hell of a lot with engaging the core and remaining "tight".

ElQuesoGrande

Lantern Swinger
How do you know what the requirements are???? And what PT staff want to see? It's true that negative reps are a good starting point though.

No, there is no pull up requirement whatsoever as far as a test goes for the Royal Navy. Though being able to do them generally means you'll find press ups a doddle, which you do have a minimum requirement for.

shinson

Lantern Swinger
How do you know what the requirements are???? And what PT staff want to see? It's true that negative reps are a good starting point though.

No, there is no pull up requirement whatsoever as far as a test goes for the Royal Navy. Though being able to do them generally means you'll find press ups a doddle, which you do have a minimum requirement for.

When I did basic training in 2001 it was the general attitude of the PTI staff. They wanted the best out of you. If you could do 30 sit-ups they'd want 32. Always look to improve yourself and push yourself.
3 months ago I couldn't do a single pull up, but after speaking with a local crossfit coach I worked on negatives and a few other bits and now I can put 3-5 (depending on how achy I am) together.

Just like the fitness test. My pass time is 11:58. I know for a fact in week 1 if I hit 11:50 when I get re tested in week 5 they will want to see an improvement on that time