Is there a requirement for pull-ups?

Aaa

Midshipman
I have some time to train but I can't do a whole lot and after I tried for the first time in a while I got inflammation in both my elbows. This could be because I was also doing some heavy curls afterwards but that didn't happen before.

shinson

Lantern Swinger
No, there isn't a min requirement - however if you can do 5 then the PT staff will want 6.

Try doing negatives instead of actual pull ups? I have found these help a hell of a lot with engaging the core and remaining "tight".

How do you know what the requirements are???? And what PT staff want to see? It's true that negative reps are a good starting point though.

No, there is no pull up requirement whatsoever as far as a test goes for the Royal Navy. Though being able to do them generally means you'll find press ups a doddle, which you do have a minimum requirement for.

shinson

Lantern Swinger
How do you know what the requirements are???? And what PT staff want to see? It's true that negative reps are a good starting point though.

No, there is no pull up requirement whatsoever as far as a test goes for the Royal Navy. Though being able to do them generally means you'll find press ups a doddle, which you do have a minimum requirement for.

When I did basic training in 2001 it was the general attitude of the PTI staff. They wanted the best out of you. If you could do 30 sit-ups they'd want 32. Always look to improve yourself and push yourself.
3 months ago I couldn't do a single pull up, but after speaking with a local crossfit coach I worked on negatives and a few other bits and now I can put 3-5 (depending on how achy I am) together.

Just like the fitness test. My pass time is 11:58. I know for a fact in week 1 if I hit 11:50 when I get re tested in week 5 they will want to see an improvement on that time