Is There a Doctor in the Building!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cantona, Oct 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi there, im a bit new to rum ration so apologies if im putting this up in the wrong place..

basically I got a letter a couple of days ago from the aviation medical centre saying I have fallen well below the required results in my Vitelograph for FAA pilot in my AIB Medical. This shocked me as I see myself as quite a fit 19/20 year old and passed all other cardio and respiratory test with good grades, to follow this up I had a private Vitalograph (breathing test) today at a local hospital and came out with well above average results for my age/sex/weight/height/race etc. I was wondering is someone with knowledge on this medical subject could give my results from todays test a once over and see weather they are within FAA limits and if the navy results are the same weather there has been a mistake on the navy side of things.

Sex: male, Age 19 Height:182cm weight 71Kg
    Results: VCMAX =5.17, ERV =1.95, FVC =5.17, FEV1 =4.89, (FEV1/FVC =94.64), PEF= 11.52, PIF= 5.52,

I know this looks like a lot of random numbers and letters so im hoping someone can make them a little clearer and tell me weather they look good enough to pass the aircrew medical and weather the navy have made a mistake on my other results
    much appreciated.
  2. Sorry to hear that mate, I'm sure someone will be along relatively soon and will explain the algebra to you, either here or possibly via PM
  3. Sorry to hear this.

But one of those who know, (creep - creep), posted something in another thread regards medicals. Basically, Civvy docs may provide info to say you are fit. The service medical is looking for specifics. Anything less than 100% regards the parameters laid down by the MoD is a fail. Your GP can say whatever he wishes but its the MoD doc who sets the standards.

But imagine if your pulling 8g in a Eurofighter and you can't suck enough O2 from the mask. Your mum wouldn't be too pleased to read of your demise.

It's tough but not the end of the world surely. Good luck in whatever you chose.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site & sorry to hear of your bad news.

As a recruiter, but not medically qualified to make head nor tail of your interesting figures and hieroglyphics: if you have any previous history of asthma I understand it can be a bar to entry for aircrew due to lung scarring regardless of their apparent serviceability now. The same rules also apply to the RAF as you may be aware.

Whether that applies to you or your previous medical history I obviously do not know, but I suspect that may be from where your problem stems.

Failing that, the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entries), by happy co-incidence, happens to also work in the Aviation Medical Department. I'm sure he would be happy to reply to your query were you to write to him via your AFCO Medical Examiner, providing your prompt evidence to contradict the the initial medical examination within two days of receiving his initial letter.

It is interesting to note you refer to potential mistakes being made on the "Navy side of things" & one cannot help but wonder if the RAF may have made a similar decision previously?

Good luck.
  5. I think the FAA requires a little more than 'Above average' for their Pilots fitness requirements.
    In todays world that probably equates to the following.
    Outstanding Lungs = Can play Blow Football for an hour
    Fantastic Ability = Could run after the bus...if Oxygen was available and the conductor was also a Paramedic.
    Above Average = Can climb a flight of stairs without wheezing.
    Average = Frequent use of inhaler recommended. Physical activity should be restricted to gentle strolls.
    Below Average = Must have own Oxygen tank to get off couch and fix self Pot Noodle snack.
  8. That will teach me for sticking my oar in! (Thanks Waspie)

I'll stick to what I know, now, where's my kettle?
  9. Kettle!!! :thumright:

No sugar for me ta! :thumright:

10. this is what i thought but the results i have come out with are really high, the average person sound be around 80% volume/max etc. and mine range from 96% to over 112% dont know how u get over 100% but i have, anyone shed any light..
  11. you should be okay with the circuit training side of things Eric ? Like jumping the wall and flying kung fu kicks :w00t: :thumright: teh heh ^_^;
  12. Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying (cheers for the heads up Soleil).

From looking at the figures you've quoted, I'm a bit puzzled too as they seem pretty good. Did they specifically mention the problem was with the Vitalograph or was it more general?

I'm on exercise for the next 2 weeks so away from books. The guidance on Aircrew medical bits and bobs is actually an RAF reference (shocking, I know) but I'll try to get a look at it on return to the lovely southwest. By then you may already have appealed: I will answer on this forum though!

Fails are usually not down to trivialities and I wonder if something was lost in communication?

13. I just went for my medical also after passing the AIB, pass everything with flying colours except one thing. My FEV1/FVC is literllay just under the accepted, though i'm still looking into it amonst other things.
    Can someone, if possible advise on whether an appeal can be made if after the medicals you discover (and get diagnosed with) an allergy that you didn't have before or not?