Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Unite union determined to close BMW?

Will BMW pull out of the UK because of the strkes?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Possibly

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

slim

War Hero
BMW want to close the final salary pension scheme.
This is normal for most companies in the current climate, low inflation and pension fund investments can no longer support such a generous scheme.
Most major companies stopped the scheme years ago
So what makes BMW workers think that they are so special?
Are Unite members thick or just belligerent?

BMW will certainly have a solution to this, close the UK facility and move it to another EU country.
I can think of many where wages will be smaller and output larger than the UK
Unite have just given BMW a great reason for pulling out of the UK

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
The one I always like to point out to people who moan about losing defined benefit schemes is that they aren't keeping up their side of the bargain - i.e. dying not long after retirement, and in a nice and quick way that doesn't put too much pressure on the NHS.

dave_w

Midshipman
my father is a bmw worker and will be affected and will lose substantially a lot of it goes through and unfortunately the only people who will suffer are the workers unite has become far to big and is only concerned with its on self interests

Oxford57

Midshipman
When I drove past the mini plant last night there wasn't a large number of people on the picket line, the number of people working there has dramatically reduced over the last decade , so I wonder how this will finish

slim

War Hero
my father is a bmw worker and will be affected and will lose substantially a lot of it goes through and unfortunately the only people who will suffer are the workers unite has become far to big and is only concerned with its on self interests

Your father will still retain the part of the final benefit scheme that he has already paid into. What happens is that his pension will be made up of two parts, first part the final benefit scheme till end of scheme date. Second part the pension fund accrued after that date.

In effect he is not losing anything because he has not paid in for it!

fishhead

War Hero
If BMW should decide enough is enough and shift their efforts elsewhere yo can bet it won't be the intransigence of the workforce that gets the blame. That blame will be firmly levelled as a direct result of Brexit. If it were just the BMW worker's livelihoods at stake I'd probably say "carry on brothers" but there are hundreds(if not thousands) in the supply chain who will suffer if the work goes elsewhere.
It would be interesting to know if the German workers are being treated the same and how they're dealing with it.

Matt247

Badgeman
The public sector didn't have a choice the government just changed the law...not long after a "life time" deal was offered....

Andy_Cap

War Hero
If BMW should decide enough is enough and shift their efforts elsewhere yo can bet it won't be the intransigence of the workforce that gets the blame. That blame will be firmly levelled as a direct result of Brexit. If it were just the BMW worker's livelihoods at stake I'd probably say "carry on brothers" but there are hundreds(if not thousands) in the supply chain who will suffer if the work goes elsewhere.
It would be interesting to know if the German workers are being treated the same and how they're dealing with it.
Nothing in the News over here about it

Taztiff

War Hero
Your father will still retain the part of the final benefit scheme that he has already paid into. What happens is that his pension will be made up of two parts, first part the final benefit scheme till end of scheme date. Second part the pension fund accrued after that date.

Our company has just decided to close the deferred part of the pension for those who were on final salary. I started here 13 years ago, 2 years after they stopped taking new joiners in to final salary and had to go to stakeholder.
As part of the change, I get an extra 5% added to the my monthly stakeholder company contributions up to 15% all in (me 3%, company 12%). The deferred guys will be getting a start up of around 23% for 5 years.
On the whole, it works for some people and not for others (techy just got redundancy after 30 odd years with a lump pot of in excess of 250k, his wife still works here while he sits and counts his change!)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Prime Minister: World must unite to defeat COVID and prevent future pandemics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: Humanity must unite in the fight against disease MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New £2 million scheme to unite communities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 300 businesses unite behind Northern Powerhouse ahead of landmark summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and Vanuatu unite to tackle marine litter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New Northern Powerhouse Partners unite for ‘Cumbria Day’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Lancashire businesses unite behind Northern Powerhouse for Lancashire Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Campaign launched in Luton to unite town and tackle extremism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Global Coalition of nations unite to defeat terrorist organisation ISIL MoD News 0
mikh Labour & Unite Current Affairs 60
MoD_RSS News story: Forces unite to save injured fisherman MoD News 1
The_Caretaker Catholics Unite Miscellaneous 0
sgtpepperband Idiots of the world, unite! Diamond Lil's 7
Shakey Christians and Muslims, unite and fight! Diamond Lil's 1
C Golfers of the World Unite Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS Union connectivity review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Union dividend of £1,941 for every person in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New release shows the value of the Union to the nations of the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: Union stronger than ever MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to work with African Union to slow spread of coronavirus in Africa MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully The Union Jack Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS Response to the Fire Brigades Union on supporting fire services MoD News 0
C Can't PM Union Jack Bloody Computers 1
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Rugby Union Six Nations match against Italy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters from the Prime Minister to Department for Exiting the European Union Ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chance to ‘win while you save’ with new credit union prize account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches new Growth Deals funding as he kicks off Union visits in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM speech on the Union: 4 July 2019 MoD News 0
vauxhall Firefighters Union Wins Landmark Pensions Case Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement by the High Representative of the European Union and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Statement by the High Representative of the European Union and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany and the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK to invest up to £30m through partnership with African Union MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Bob's State of the Union Diamond Lil's 43
MoD_RSS Press release: Continuity of requirements under the Construction Products Regulation when the UK leaves the European Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM's statement on exiting the European Union: 10 December 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM promises deal to strengthen the Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: DFID Ghana Social Sector Team Leader's speech at Adolescent and Youth Pre-Summit to African Union Second Girl Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Press statement - Progress on the UK’s exit from, and future relationship with, the European Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Continuity of planning (environmental) requirements when the UK leaves the European Union MoD News 0
soleil NFF: "Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Royal Navy Rugby Union - Director Of Rugby Vacancy Sports and Adventure Training 1
soleil Sunday Times: "Should It Be Union Flag Or Is Jack All Right?" The Fleet 22
soleil Union J 'Go Commando' To Support Poppy Picnics Charity 9
stoker-steam Union Street Diamond Lil's 20
soleil Union Jack Club - Army v Navy Rugby 2013 - April 27th 2013 Sports and Adventure Training 1
Naval_Families_Federation Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match Current Affairs 0
J Re-union Social & Reunions 1
janner Diesel Boat Re-union Submariners 1
trelawney126 French Firm to make Union Jacks for Olympics. The Gash Barge 8
S Union Flag flown on the foremast History 2