Is the RNR considered a career?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Blackberry, Apr 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is the RNR regarded as a career or as a 'country club' for wanna be sailors? Need to ask... been hearing rumours thats forcing me to go TA.

Also, whats the response from someone full time when you mention your RNR?

Thanks

2. Yes.

However the TA is a club for fat Gareths who like to tell people they are a war hero yet all they do is spend 8 hours a day down the TAC drinking tea and reading out of date copies of soldier. Join the RNR. At least your unit won't be full of job seekers with no teeth.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Why dont you join as a regular?

4. I would suggest that while the RNR is not really a "career" in the traditional sense of the word, it can be very useful on your cv for the following (non-exhaustive) reasons;

You can acquire some serious additional skills and experience that aren't available from golfing or playing football
    It broadens your network of useful contacts among like minded individuals
    It will make you stand out from some of your peers
    It can get you to places that don't normally appear on the Thomas Cook website (not always a good thing!)

On a broader scale it can be good fun, will almost certainly give back as much (if not more) than you put in and is a much better way of spending your spare time than watching Coronation Street.

All that said, I expect the TA will probably tick much the same boxes

5. Neither; but the latter depends which unit you join.

Regulars respond to the abilities of the individual, not the type of contract. As a direct result of Telic/Herrick/ insert as applicable both are much better at working with the other than they used to be.

BH

6. From whom? Saying what?

7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

If you think its a country club then you clearly havent been doing any proper research.

Its an organisation that gives you what you put into it. If you want a few years of doing something a bit different with the chance of a deployment then the opportunity is there. If you want to spend a long period of time investing in something which provides good skills, some training, and a promotion structure which is essentially a career then its also a good opportunity.

Its definitely not full of wannabes, at present it has a lot of people in it who have been able to mobilise and do some pretty good work alongside the RN.

8. Thanks guys, glad that answers the bombardment of rumours from people at work. Just don't want to be seen as someone who is in it for status, rather a job 'part time'.

But are there full timers who feel some RNRs are not as equal as them?

9. Yes, because they're not.

10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Spot on!
    Most of the reservists I have worked with have been gash hands, not their own fault (not always) I hasten to add, just lack of familiarity with the ship/kit. However, there have been some who have clearly put in the time to learn their arse from their elbow and can do a job. Never met one of my own branch though, do ME reservists exists or are we too good to have reservists in our branch?:grin:

11. When the RNR had it's own Ton class sweepers and then the River class and P2000's they had ME's, but that was in the 80's when I had a brief draft to HMS Sussex and we looked after the 'manky Maxton' for them to break at weekends

12. The last thing the RN wants is more like you :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. tiddlyoggy

Couldn't be further from the truth UA, that's why they're throwing £40K at all the WO2 ME's to retain our service. Not enough to tempt me though, you have to know when your time is up and 28 years is enough for me!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wot Monty said.

I'm actually very surprised at the number of serving TA throwing their hand in to come and join the puddle pirates though. Granted some of them don't pass the RT test but they give it a good shot.

15. What would you like to do next, Tiddly? (roughly)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  16. tiddlyoggy

Sol, what I actually WANT to do is teach vocational engineering at college, I always enjoyed the mentoring side of being a SR, but I couldn't take the pay cut. Logic dictates that I apply for offshore and stash some cash to hope for early retirement at 55 or 60.

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I read...

...as something completely different entirely! :shock: :twisted:

18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

tiddlyoggy wrote
    And if I'm not mistaken, £27 000 golden hellos for engineering officers (graduates).

19. That was really more banter coming under the heading "personal" aimed at tiddlyoggy, rather than commentary on the RN's need for engineers as a whole.

If we're doing the whole "taking it really seriously" thing, then no, the RNR does not have an ME branch. As tiddlyoggy intimated, it would be tricky to acquire a decade or more of ME experience through the medium of a couple of hours a month in a classroom. The RNR does other things.

20. tiddlyoggy

Yes I know mate.