Is the RN and RNR severely undermanned?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by EdinburghGuy, May 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was watching the Scottish Conservative Party politcal broadcast and they seemed to be hammering home the point that the RN, RNR and the other forces were badly understrength. Is there any truth to this? They said all in there is about 40k men missing(All branches). This would seem to cause problems if all the new planned ships and boats get commisioned.
  2. I wouldnt say that they are, other services such as the Army are, as they are advertising all over to get there numbers up, if it was that bad, the Navy would of done the same
  3. They have been advertising more, or were around January-March, from what I could see :?
  4. 40k, as in forty thousand? ha no way, 9 thousand maybe, with the majority of the loss in the Army, as far as I know.
  5. You are talking out your arse.

The 40k figure probably refers to the total established-strength manpower of the Naval Service.

If you want figures on how undermanned the Services are, you will find them on the Parliament website. Various MPs ask the secretary of defence this question from time to time and you will find his written answers there.

Yes, the RN and RN Reserve are both short of manpower. I do not have the exact figures to hand however. In any case it's not 40k.

It's a funny topic to mention in a party political broadcast anyway, isn't it?
  6. It was one dig at the current government among many. They were pledging to strenghten the forces and increase the current budget along with a trident replacement. I wonder what that would be... i call space LASERS! Seriously whats wrong with trident?
  7. The Royal Navy only totals about 34,000 now days including the RM's. We have not had our numbers increased for recruiting this year. THEREFORE THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN BE 40,000 UNDERMANNED.

Gash buzz

8. I think they mean renewing the current Trident system, not replacement with something else.
  9. i know the other day sky news was saying for the first time in a long time the army is back to full strength what ever that means
  10. It means they reduced the number of regiments and therefore now have enough bodies to fill them. :p
  11. Sobering to think that the sum total of matelots today would only fill Pride park to capacity. No wonder we all know each other. :?
  12. It is amazing now when you mention to someone you were in the navy and they ask if you know someone and your reply is yes now where before it use to be the Navy is big I don't I'm afraid lol
  13. Yes after serving a 2yr commission on an aircraft carrier with some 2,200 crewmembers you didnt know a great many of them!!!!