Is the poppy in demise?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by frogman007, Nov 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This isn't me dribbling on my keyboard or shaking the mail. Just been walked through town and I probably saw about ten poppy wearers. Is this the norm in your town? Is it still to early? Seems ashame if we let thus great tradition/ ceremony fall by the way side.

Be be intersted to see poppy sale figures for the last ten years.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think what may have happened over the years is that the RBL has been overshadowed by "Help For Heroes" who have effectively muscled-in on the act and created a highly popular niche in a place were it wasn't actually required as existing charities already covered this area of charitable fundraising, but nowhere near as effectively.

Through excellent marketing & self-publicity, just about all forces charity fundraising seems to be predominantly directed into their coffers. I'm not suggesting they are a bad thing, but their dynamism in relation to the inertia of KGVS etc., put the other less high-profile organisations to shame.

H4H are, at the same time, not above fault - they keep making rather odd donations to Army Regiment welfare funds with no specifically targeted purpose and in doing this, they appear to snub other active service units , notably Royal Marines, by not making proportional donations elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Nail and head there I think Ninja. One of my oppos is quite high ranking in the RBL and he is very frustrated by the media coverage H4H gets when the RBL has been doing similar things for a lot longer. It's a shame that an organisation as big as the RBL can't get a spin doctor onboard to raise their profile. It strikes me that they've been happy to rest on their laurels all these years content that Joe Public knows what they do when it now seems that's not the case. I thnik poppies do seem to be scarcer on the streets these days, yet the crowds at the Remembrance service here in Guzz seem to have increased over the last few years IMO. One other thing about poppies that is starting to grate with me though: every year there seems to be an endless stream of people using poppies to kick start the outrage bus. A chap on Facebook, shipmates reunited page posted that he was horrified that he went into his local Tesco and none of the staff were wearing poppies, hinting that Tesco had banned them. What utter nonsense!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I don't think they have got fewer really. I was always taught that it starts the monday before and finishes the monday after - so basically anyone that's had one on before today was jumping the gun anyway.

That said, I would have thought that over 90% of the 82,000 at Twickenham on Saturday were wearing one (including me) and from wandering down the Cornmarket in Oxford yesterday I would guess the majority of shoppers had one on. So, without going off on the H4H tangent (where I agree with most of what's been said), no it isn't.

5. Good. It must be the musher retards then.

6. tiddlyoggy

When in doubt, blame the mushers, froggers!

7. Always! I will stick to Southsea shopping from now on.

8. tiddlyoggy

And Southsea is better????!!!!

9. It has a John Lewis and Waitrose. More refined kind of retard.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Quite a few people have a small enamel poppy, not easily seen

tm

11. tiddlyoggy

That's a good point too, lawless.

12. Unfortunately these are easy to use year after year so the RBL coffers go without?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

They have a year on them, so you can spot the piso individuals if you have good eyesight.

14. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1383568543.978178.jpg

L to R RNSMS 2012, RNSMS 2013, RBL 2013 enamel and paper.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  15. Before anyone asks, the RNSMS (submarine school for the un-initiated) have sold out. There doesn't seem to be any lessening of poppy wearing that I can see, although as Lawless points out, the enamel ones are very small in comparison to the paper ones.

16. I think it's interesting looking back to just before 1994/95 when the idea of Remembrance was re-vitalised (possibly jumped on) by some newspapers in light of the 50th commeration of Dday and the end of the war. I'm sure that poppies/ observation was a great deal less. The boost (non un-controversially) may be slowing down in some circles.

I think the current Afghan and recent Iraq conflicts have a lot of goodwill for the combatants (even if support for the political actions is declining).

Perhaps the 100 year commemerations of WW1 will have an effect over the next few years. A lot depends of what happens after Afghanistan. Dont forget that the apathy that occurred prior to 1995 was when the only apparant involvement was N Ireland and some recent memory of the Falklands which to Joe Public was a while ago and not relevant unless there.

17. Ninja_Stoker

True, I keep forgetting how long ago the Falklands was. Then again at my age, I'm pleased if I remember to put my trousers on before going to work.

It's now taught as a history subject in schools and when I think that I was born less that 20 years after WW II and that to me was ancient history, wars do lose significance over time.

18. Help for Heros definitely had an impact on our collection for the RNRMC during the last armed forces day.

They had a rather aggressive tin shaking style and the image that they help all veterans. I think the truth about them only helping post 9-11 should be more out in the open. I rebriefed my local mayor after he sent out a newsletter stating inaccuracies! :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

I've always had a problem with the local TA dressed in uniform, rattling emblazoned tins & buckets on the High Street for H4H.

To me, it outwardly purports that the person wearing the uniform is a hero, forced to collect for him/herself. It disturbs me as it is too "in yer face". I appreciate those collecting in this manner may not think themselves heroes, but they are standing under a sign that suggests they are.

It's a bit like the Miners Strike when Miners collected for their strike fund - I simply don't like charities that use the potential beneficiaries as revenue generators.

I'd far rather see local uniformed youth organisations & people besides squaddies collecting, it seems a little more altruistic.

Doubtless many disagree with me. Crack-on.

• Like Like x 5
  20. tiddlyoggy

I must confess, I'd never considered your point there Ninja, but on reflection that is a very sensible argument.