Is the number one uniform also being replaced?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
When he turns up in his crab uniform just call him a Powder Blue Pooftah, they love it when you call them that.

It's an intersting one.

Unless a rating is wearing square rig, most civilians are hard pressed recognising a matelot. Even if they have a label proclaiming "Royal Navy". I went to a careers convention in a local school last week wearing Number Ones as there were two Royals accompanying me, wearing Blues.

One of the senior teaching staff, whom I know, said "Ooh, didn't recognise you in your costume"

"Costume?" I screamed inwardly. Then, thinking about it, putting "tradition" nonsense aside, it really isn't a particularly practical outfit (whatever the rank), and it IS rather expensive. I'd rather pusser paid for passports (like the Army & RAF do, even if it is not operationally required).

Just think, if we did away with "parade uniforms" we could save thousands of wasted hours mincing around on the parade ground, people with visible tattoos could join and besides saving £Millions we could have a bit more space in our lockers to keep our disco duds.

Doubtless some would disagree.;)
My steaming rig on submarines, I was a UC and that meant casing party, was No2 serge bells, white woolley pully, battered white cap and steaming bats.
My bells would be concertina’d down in my locker and they stayed that way for a couple or three months until we returned alongside. When taken out of their black gash bag, they could be shaken out and hey presto, a smart casing party member, beard down by his chest, battered cap, white pulley, non-polished steaming bats, half inflated life jacket... and didn’t I look the biz.
All through my service life the one thing we were crying out for, but never seemed to get, was a rig that did the job, and one that we need not do anything else to it except put it on.
NOMEX went someway towards that, I feel that today’s sailors will discover, just like we did though, NOMEX looks smart, wears tough, and is an absolute nightmare when the ventilation system is down or off.
The crew of HMS Montrose will love NOMEX out in the heat of the Gulf. Great good luck to them.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
My steaming rig on submarines, I was a UC and that meant casing party, was No2 serge bells, white woolley pully, battered white cap and steaming bats.
My bells would be concertina’d down in my locker and they stayed that way for a couple or three months until we returned alongside. When taken out of their black gash bag, they could be shaken out and hey presto, a smart casing party member, beard down by his chest, battered cap, white pulley, non-polished steaming bats, half inflated life jacket... and didn’t I look the biz.
All through my service life the one thing we were crying out for, but never seemed to get, was a rig that did the job, and one that we need not do anything else to it except put it on.
NOMEX went someway towards that, I feel that today’s sailors will discover, just like we did though, NOMEX looks smart, wears tough, and is an absolute nightmare when the ventilation system is down or off.
The crew of HMS Montrose will love NOMEX out in the heat of the Gulf. Great good luck to them.
holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

Latest Threads