Is the number one uniform also being replaced?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by AyeCaptain, Mar 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The new uniforms, there was a picture on the Navy site of HMS Lancaster leaving, and they were all wearing those boiler suits with the white cap...

Have they replaced the number one's too or is that just a one off because they're the first ship with that new uniform?

I head to Raleigh in less than a month, are our number ones (on pass out) going to look like those? They look so shitee*

2. To answer your question..No.

That is all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

He's lying - don't believe him! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boiler suits!!! How very cloth cap, Ovies are worn in the RN dontcha know (and the new working rig is 2 piece, not 1).

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's an intersting one.

Unless a rating is wearing square rig, most civilians are hard pressed recognising a matelot. Even if they have a label proclaiming "Royal Navy". I went to a careers convention in a local school last week wearing Number Ones as there were two Royals accompanying me, wearing Blues.

One of the senior teaching staff, whom I know, said "Ooh, didn't recognise you in your costume"

"Costume?" I screamed inwardly. Then, thinking about it, putting "tradition" nonsense aside, it really isn't a particularly practical outfit (whatever the rank), and it IS rather expensive. I'd rather pusser paid for passports (like the Army & RAF do, even if it is not operationally required).

Just think, if we did away with "parade uniforms" we could save thousands of wasted hours mincing around on the parade ground, people with visible tattoos could join and besides saving £Millions we could have a bit more space in our lockers to keep our disco duds.

Doubtless some would disagree.;)

• Like Like x 5
  6. I get it, "she" didn't "recognise" you in your costume ;) I think there is more to this than meets the eye, you know the tale of how women feel with a man in uniform! Are you sure you weren't doing a sexy walk through the assembly hall whilst holding direct, ninja like eye contact with her? Haha

But thanks for the replies everyone, I did hear about the uniform being two piece for hotter weather, the uniform changes for everyone I believe in April which is when I join. We'll see how it all is in person!

Thanks again lads

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

charlieprom.jpg

Maybe the costume wasn't appropriate Nina!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Ninja_Stoker

It was a "he".

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh damn, well, did you give the eye then and look all buff and ninja like then? hahahaha.. my friend keeps going on about me joining the Navy with the "ship full of men" thing. He's joining the RAF, so I nicknamed that the Royal An** ******ng service. Do you have any ideas of any other good come backs for him?

10. Ninja_Stoker

The good news is that your mate's career choice will provide you with a lifetime of entertainment. The joy is letting him find out.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Doesn't make you a bad person Ninja;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I think that you need remind your crabfat oppo that these days they have women at sea.
    Well I am led to believe they are females:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Just call him a Cnut, they mostly are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. hahahaha, i'll be sure to pass on the message to him hahaha :D

15. When he turns up in his crab uniform just call him a Powder Blue Pooftah, they love it when you call them that.