Is the Navy for me? (And a first post Hello)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Anderzz, Jun 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there gents/ladies.

A brief bit of information about me.

Im 24yrs old, I have qualifications in Plumbing/Gas Fitting. But im not very happy with the career in the trade.

I feel something is missing in my life. Recently i had been drinking a bit too much and feeling that i need to get myself together, See the world and become the kind of bloke i want to be.

I want to see the world, meet new people. Gain new friends and experience and have stability and new challenges in my life.

Ive been thinking about the navy for the last week or so properly. However prior to that Ive always had it in the back of my mind.

At school i wanted to be a marine engineer. But for some reason I never pursued it. I got an apprenticeship as a gas fitter instead.

I have a long term girlfriend who i live with. She isnt super keen on the idea of me joining up, but i think I think she knows its the kind of thing my life needs as im not Happy in my trade.

Can anyone add some input and maybe share how you felt at the time when you joined up. And whether joining at 24 is going to be a handicap in any way.

Thanks in advance.

2. get yourself down the AFCO at the rush. There are a lot of questions there that only you can answer. I could tell you that it will all be sweetness and light, and the best thing that you could ever do, but that would be gilding the lily and telling you how to live your life.

Take it you would be wanting to be a stoker then- good trade, lots of kit to play with, no two days the same, all the rest of it.

Girlfirends can be a major headache, but if it's what's right for you then you have to ask yourself what's more important. Plenty of relationships don't survive joining up, others do- only you can make that call.

Having said that, it is a great life in the mob, your age won't count against you to any great degree- and I repeat, go to the AFCO, watch their videos, get some info sheets, and give it a sensible amount of thought. At the end of the day, life's about not having regrets and if the Andrew is something you want to have a look at then do it- don't sit around wondering. personally, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
  3. Joining at 22 will be a distinct advantage as your maturity and life experiences should help.
    If you don't want to be separated from your girlfriend try for a fleet Air arm trade. With your plumbing qualifications you may be able to go AET, so long as your scores are high enough. As Wafu (Fleet air arm) you will not spend as much time at sea as your general service oppo's, though there will be periods of separation.

As for drinking too much, the RN is not going to help with that, most of us old and bold guys spent too much time around the bars. :thumright:
  4. I appreciate the reply thanks.

Ive already phoned up the Navy number this morning and Im booked in to go to the careers office next tuesday.

Im not 100% sure which path i plan to take. Engineering sides have been the main appeal but Im lacking such direction in my life right now that Id almost try anything.

I have great respect for people in the armed forces and Im really thinking its what i need.

I dont know how my relationship will fair with my lass if I do join up. But i cant let that dictate my life.

Can you tell me how long it generally takes from signing up / tests to actually getting your foot in the door, Training / working etc.

Thanks again mate
  5. Oh and also guys, I would like to read up to get as much information about what jobs entail, what roles there are in the navy, and what kind of things i should brush up on if i go down the engineering route.

Only found this forum this morning so Its a bit overwhelming how much information is being dished out (very nicely too)
  6. Hey Id go for it and sign up ASAP ive just got my basic training date. It took me about 6-7 months to get threw everything it just depends on what job specification you do. Go for it thow im soo looking forward to it best time of my life already even just after doing all the tests it good in the mob :D
  7. Congratulations
    I take it that you are not joining a branch which relies on written English.
  8. Have you read through these yet?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site & good luck in your aspirations.

As has been correctly stated, it takes a while to pass selection & actually join, so the advice is certainly start the process off sooner rather than later. If you change your mind, you don't have to join, but if you don't at least try, you'll always wonder: "What if?"

Good luck anyway, Engineeering Technician (Marine Engineering) currently takes 6 months from Recruiting Test to entry, if all goes well.
  10. You dont get threw training with spelling thow mate :w00t:

Other than being pedantic, Thanks for the post ndtucker, sounds like you are really excited.. your kind of enthusiasm is what the armed forces need
  11. Woah a few posts in the space of a minute.

Ive looked on the website and got a bit of an idea what Id be getting myself into.

Ill re-read the ones you guys linked to make sure im not missing anything.

Thanks for the welcome stoker, Engineering Technictian (Marine engineering) was the one that was most appealing to me.

I regret not considering this path in my life earlier. Plumbing / Gas fitting isnt the most brilliant trade the papers claim it to be. Well for me it isnt anyway. Just doesnt make me happy :)

Being part of a team of people is what i feel is my calling right now. :)

Looking forward to Next tuesdays information day.
  12. I feel a bit of a reality check is needed here. Whilst the Royal Navy may seem to be attractive it has many draw backs. If you join as an Engineering Technician you don't get the foundation degree until you have reached Chief Petty Officer, by which time you have done 12 years and are in the pension trap. The pension is very good but you now have to do 35 years to get the full pension. 35 years is a long time and is something you should be aware of. At 24 you may find yourself being one of the oldest in your class and then when you join a ship there will be lots of people younger than you, and it will be like living with children. I know this because my mate joined up at your age and he found it quite difficult to put up with messdeck live.

I have done twenty years as a Marine engineering technician and would never recommend the navy to anyone. As an employer they can implement changes to your terms of service without any consultation, they call it service requirements. We have no right to join a union and if more than three people complain about the same thing it is classed as mutiny. In civvy street you can give a months notice and change your job. In the Navy you have to give 12 months notice to leave. Again 12 months is long time if you are unhappy. There are ways for you to leave whilst under training but you never get to see how bad the Navy is until you get on a ship by which time you have to give 12 months notice. There are many more downsides but it would take forever to type them out. Why am I still in the Navy? Because I have three years left to get my pension and then I'm gone.n (I am on the old pension scheme)

Please consider it very carefully, it may be that you are in a bit of a rut at the moment and you just need to change your present job.
  13. In light of Fleet Sprog's post, which is a good point well made, have you thought about the RFA? You do pretty much th e same line of work, but overall the average age of the people on board is a lot older. The most amount of sea time you'll do is 4 months, so there are no REALLY long deployments. On the other side of the coin, though, ALL you do is 4 months at sea. No land based jobs (not that I know of anyway. Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong)
  14. Thanks for adding a negative aspect to this. I think i may have been looking at it all with rose tinted glasses.

The idea about being older is one that had worried me, I have no problems with younger people. But i agree that the idea of being away for long periods of time with people who might have sod all in common with me could be daunting.

Ive never considered the RFA, ive just looked at the site they run and what they do sounds the same. Maybe its a good alternative.

Im not letting one negative idea of it put me off, but its brought me back into the real world a bit because i may have been thinking everything was so peachy otherwise
  15. Fleet Sprog
    You are in the same position as I was 26 years ago, three years to do and pissed off with the RN. Once you've been out a few years though you will look back at all the good times and also the bad. You will probably like me have fond memories and also some bitter ones. However this would be the same in any job. I left on completion of pension time (22 years) nothing would have encouraged me to sign on. I had a good second career in the civie world but looking back the only thing I would change is I would have started my education process sooner rather than later. The RN gave me opportunities which many civie employers would not have done, education allowance and day release at the age of 35. Don't knock the RN it has many more advantages than disadvantages. :thumright:
  16. Don't let the age thing put you off too much, matey. When I was doing my basic training there were blokes in their early 30's going through. You'll always find mates on board, no matter what your age. Look at the recruitment website for the Royal Australian Navy. They take recruits up the age of 48! The New Zealand navy doesn't have any upper age restrictions at all. I imagine some of their ships could resemble a saga holidays coach trip to Bournemouth!
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Wow, it took you along time to realise how terrible it was. :bball:

Ah, so apart from the excellent pension scheme......the aquaducts, irrigation, sanitation....
  18. Ninja,

I realised how terrible it was a while ago, by which time I was in the pension trap. I am also a realist, in that I am fully aware that the wages are good once you reach senior rate and I would have been daft not to consider the money when I have a family. However it doesn't mean that I have to like the way changes are implemented in the RN. Potential joiners need to know the downsides as well as the upsides. It may be your job as a recruiter to point out the upsides but it needs to be pointed out that it isn't all travel the world and make great friends.

Using sarcasm to discredit someones argument does no one any favours.
  19. Fleet sprog, thanks again for the input.

Are you one of many people you work with who feel this way, or would you say your individual experiences have contributed to your major dislike for it.

Do the skills and experience gained from working in the navy pass into working off shore on oilrigs / other vessels.

There is huge money in the oil business from what ive seen with friends, would this be a viable step when leaving the navy?