Is the end nigh?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by finknottle, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is understood that the Queen has agreed with the PM that Lady Thatcher should be given a state funeral when the time comes, the last PM to have a state funeral was Winston Churchill. Does this mean that I will soon be able to crack-open my bottle of Laphroaig 25 Year-Old Islay Malt Whisky that has been matured for 25 years in the finest Oloroso sherry casks, the one that I have been saving for this occasion? :thumright:

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So how are you going to celebrate when your PM, Mister Broon, pops his clogs? :?

3. I'll be toasting her too, a far better PM than all those since.

Ian

4. Easy one that, a bottle of Lidl's finest cider, but I suspect I will be on my way before him as I ain't as young as I used to be.

5. sgtpepperband

Hmm, I dunno who I will miss most: you or him... :oops:

6. No better than Blair for dragging us into an avoidable conflict consequently my wee half will not be tainted with any sadness but joy.

7. I have to disagree, at the beginning of '82 the National mood was fairly low, by fighting a small scale & popular war she improved the morale of the Nation. Bliar just pissed most people off.

Ian

8. Well said finknottle, ive been down the sweepstore all afternoon drinking Aldis finest cooking sherry,bloody good stuff may i add.
    Sgtpepper you need to chill man :afro:

9. Not a topic you like then admin even though it is current affairs?

10. FFS shame about the people who were killed then. I expect it is your opinion that they were just collateral damage on the road to getting her re-elected.

11. sgtpepperband

Hmm, change the place and date to Germany in the 1930s, or Iraq in the 1970s - didn't Adolf and Saddam use similar tactics to 'improve the morale of the nation'?

:oops:

12. Ah, Maggie Thatcher! A fine lady, put the pride back into the British people (the heterosexual pride I mean), put the unions in their place. Respected and admired the world over...

She wasn't perfect of course, a bit too left wing for my liking.

13. Hailing from Coventry I can well understand why you might lean towards the right of politics.

14. Thatcher getting a State Funeral. Surely she wouldn't want a burial by the nanny state??!! o_O

15. Tell that one to those still mourning their dead! There are a lot of people who may not agree with your sentiments; though I appreciate what you have to say!

16. I cannot see why a regular PM of this country should be given a state funeral..honestly I cannot!
    For some this lady got us involved in an uncessary war, destroyed the social fabric of the country, and, presided over the highest inflation in living memory.
    However it is now clear she has completely lost here marbles, a terrible thing I would not wish on anyone.
    But a State Funeral?
    There is no logical reason for this and seems to me a totally soft decision.

17. I still maintain that had Thatcher heeded the warning signs there would have been no Falklands war. It would have been nipped in the bud. The war suited Thatcher, she was at an all time low in her career and the war caused the nation to pull together and raise her profile.
    Wonder if Blair thought the same?

18. Indeed it could have been prevented as it was in the 70's under Labour.

19. Now would that be the same party that took us to war under Blair and his lies?

20. I honestly believe that is was Blair and his religious convictions and personal greed that got the UK involved in Irag..