Is that a Type 42? - Eastenders

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Hermes_R12, Jun 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On Deadenders (Eastenders) not that I can stand the programme during the opening credits there appears to be a warship going up the Thames. Clever CGI computer graphics maybe but it gives the appearance of being shot from a saterlite.

Is that a type 42 or has anyone got any knowledge?
  2. Dunno Hermes_R12, but on a lighter note......Get a Life
  3. I similarly get a blood pressure rise and a burst of Tourette syndrome at even the sound of Deadenders. Anyway, a good observation: from about the 00:04 mark.

It looks a bit short for even a Batch 1 or 2 T42 and looks a bit too "cruiser sterned" to have a flight deck. Also;

look at the shadow and compare with

the forecastle appears to have a bulwark rather than rails

there seems an absence of grey or green Camrex on the decks

the wake looks a bit single screwish

I, for one love this question and, at last, can see a point for wallpaper television.
  4. If you nip into town now, you lot might find a "Bench Drying".
    If your lucky 8O :D
  5. Cheers fellas going to look for that every time when Mrs JFH is getting her cockney soap fix!!!
  6. Speaking from a real-life perspective, the only Type 42 to have passed that point in recent years was HMS Exeter, if I remember correctly:

I haven't seen Eastenders for some time and haven't seen these title credits recently, so I don't know how much of the ship is visible.

Of the other Types, HMS Northumberland, HMS Westminster and HMS St Alban's have all passed there as have HMS Albion, HMS Ark Royal, HMS Bulwark and HMS Illustrious (these last 4 went no further than Greenwich - the first 3 went up to HMS Belfast).

Warships from other countries pass there: German, French, Belgian, even Brazil, Australia and the US.
  7. As we don't have that many benches out in the bundhu, I've done a few measurements. In the ship's 4 'o clock is Queen Elizabeth Pier, 299 ft long (measured from Google Earth). From the film clip, the ship is 0.69 the length of the pier, making the ship 206.2 ft long and 33 ft beam.

My measurements might be crap, though. 8O
  8. The programes been going 25+ years so what was aboutin 84?
  9. 8O :pale:
  10. Doesnt look like a war canoe to me. More like some small cruise ship.
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I thought it was a Somalian 'go-fast'... :shock: :wink:
  12. I've been up there twice, once on HMS Brave in '92 and HMS Argyll in '97, but then who really cares!!!!!
  13. [​IMG]

Shall we discuss the cat in the opening scenes of coronation street, wouldn't that be exciting, it might be a Pussers sea cat.
  14. Anyone who watches soap-operas should be killed to death, by Death and his cleansing scythe.
  15. Is that one you crimped off earlier or are you just a collector? :wink:

Ship recognition used to be regarded as an important skill.

Why do people bother with threads that they have no interest in?
  16. Agreed, now I's chillin wich da ganja, it good for you.
  17. I wouldn't know breadrin, I'm laying some bamboo up your missus.
  18. Yeah you post it I'll collect it :wink:
  19. Isn't HMS Belfast sat up on the Thames?
  20. It sure is, and I helped take it there in 71/72.
    They never did thank me. :wink: :)