Is teetotalism (alcohol abstension) frowned upon in the Marines?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by C40235, Apr 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm teetotal (religious reason) have been since birth, will be till I die and its not changing. period.
    However, I know its a big part of millitary life and was concerned as to whether I would be pressured into drinking during my time in the corps, should I be successful. Particularly as I have been reading all the drunken nude initiation scandals, and new recruits have been forced to drink...and do alot of other mental shit.
  2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'd worry more about playing "Which Fruit is this?" with my ricker if i were you.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. It's frowned upon by alcoholics, other than that if you don't want to drink..don't drink.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you dont want to drink, dont drink. No one forces you to.

You may well get a bit of peer pressure to have a drink (as you would with any group of young lads) but stick to your convictions, the lads will soon realise and respect your wishes.

Just buy a big car, you'll be doing a lot of taxi work.
  5. Was TT for about 18 months, it was commented on that I drank a lot, now drink "moderately".

One guy onboard, Salvation Army, was TT in the UK but turned into a Tequila Monster in the States. This was RN but RM carnt be that different.

You will be teased etc. stick to your beliefs you will be respected for them eventually
  6. Tea's great. I like most kinds even the gay herbal ones, and am particularly fond of Earl Grey, though with milk as I am a tad common.

Please don't say 'period' unless you mean ladies' fanny bleeding though.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  7. Blackrat

I like Green Tea. Rachelthree actually called me gay for admitting i drink it. Can't help it. Gay or not, i like it.

Can't believe you put milk in your Earl Grey. You are dead to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. One of the best young Marines I had working for me was TT for personal reasons, Hoofing lad, I never saw him getting grief for it.
  9. I do appreciate your sentiments and accept the wrongness of my taste.

Anyway, you're gay and I've got to go and feed my pigeons.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blackrat

Send one to Ninja. He likes a bit of pigeon.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. wet_blobby

I've been drinking Green tea of late and unfortunately for Gayers like Blackrat I dont bat for the wrong team. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I've recruited Royals who are Muslims, Christians, Jews, Black, White, Blue (he was Scottish) and teetotal. Not all the same bloke, you understand, but they're a pretty mixed bunch and very accepting.

As long as you're a team player, whether a drinker or not, you'll be OK...but, if you lock yourself away psychologically, try to convert anyone or, worst of all make critical comments about their social habits, expect to indulge in Blackrats' fruit fantasy and watch the door doesn't hit you on the back of the head as you depart. (Top tip, avoid the pineapple).
  13. wet_blobby

Real men like the pineapple.........
  14. Rings or cubes?
  15. wet_blobby

Skin on ....
  16. wal

wal Badgeman

What about the Christmas Tree or is that only for bad smells?

I also like early grey in the afternoon with milk. I'll bat for whoever has the ball.
  17. wet_blobby

Early Grey..... that sounds a bit like Girly grey.... :)
  18. Girly Gay sounds better
  19. I was teetotal once. Worst two minutes of my life.:thumright:
  20. kurzawa_womenmarried.jpg
    Two girly gays for you T.:thumbup: