Is Sir Max correct?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Hideous, Jul 9, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To my mind the passing of the "Landie" should be mourned! I have owned and driven several in the past, mainly as a workhorse and "tug" for trailers and such like and while it could be cold/damp/rattly/at times uncomfortable it was what it was ... a damn good workhorse that got me out of several spots where other 4x4's stumbled.

To my mind the 4 x 4 has become lumped in with the "Chelsea Tractor" brigade complete with designer mud etc and the most "off roading" they have done is crossing the verge which has done the Landie no favors. The rich and affluent who cart their kids around in Cayenne's / Shogun's etc demand leather upholstery Air Con etc which anyone who drives a Landie knows if you want Air Con you open the vent / window! Unfortunately the demand for a country workhorse has been outstripped by the demand for a designer vehicle that may have the capabilities (or at least some have) but with the refinements of a saloon car.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I LOVE MY LANDY!!! I have had it for about 11 years now and it has the best part of 250k kms on it now. I do about 500km a week in it and it is used to transport us, dogs, work gear, diving gear - you name it. It has the vents for air con and a sun-roof, but, MG, it also has real, genuine aircon! Sadly, this takes so much power from the engine that I hardly ever use it - don't like aircon anyway. (It is 38 here at the moment, sitting under a gently whirling fan!!)

So, I shall be keeping my Landy *, but will also be interested to see if they begin to appreciate as some are saying.

* Unless of course anyone wants a wonderful British icon, TD5 Defender, good price , no rust, LHD etc etc
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I have no issue with LandRovers but Max Hastings is, in my opinion, a cowardly arse-hole.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. No grey areas there then!.......
    Apart from your avatar :-D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. -

Who has crayoned on your fizzog ?.
  7. All hail the self-appointed liberator of Port Stanley! Strange to think that the Navy he despises so much suffered the loss of so many lives and ships while delivering him and that he was defended by aircraft flying from the carriers he loathes.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Posh git! :D
  9. Ninja_Stoker

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Ah,the poltroon and pompous ass? ;) Was really disappointed when I looked in this thread. Thought it was something relating to Sir Max Horton. The only Max worthy of the soubriquet. The 'Is' in the title should have been a clue.;)