Is Sherry acceptable?

I don't like Rum, ever since a bad encounter with half a pint of the stuff, and a two pence coin last year. Port and Sherry are ok though (as well as beer etc etc) is this acceptable or is liking Rum a must for those joining the RN?

Think yourself lucky its Rum mate.
If I'm in the same room as an open bottle of Port, that's me dry motoring!
Love Red Wine, can't abide Port.
Bleh!

tommo said:
Or just a tin of Red Death or CSB will do me lol
Now you're talking!

Sign of the times I suppose, but we are currently in DP and getting our mess refurbished.
We are getting a WINE COOLER!!
:D

WhizzbangDai said:
I don't like Rum, ever since a bad encounter with half a pint of the stuff, and a two pence coin last year. Port and Sherry are ok though (as well as beer etc etc) is this acceptable or is liking Rum a must for those joining the RN?
It's clearly a case of Chacun a son Gout--So have some Madeira M'Dear

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Specialseadutyman: If you don't like rum then you are obviously not in or have ever served in the Navy - mind you, you were present at the Christmas Pudding stirring ceremony at HMS Drake when the Commodore poured in the "neat rum", as published in the "Plymouth Herald" and "The Sailor" newspapers, weren't you, you rascal..?! :shock: :yawn:

sgtpepperband said:
Specialseadutyman: If you don't like rum then you are obviously not in or have ever served in the Navy - mind you, you were present at the Christmas Pudding stirring ceremony at HMS Drake when the Commodore poured in the "neat rum", as published in the "Plymouth Herald" and "The Sailor" newspapers, weren't you, you rascal..?! :shock: :yawn:
'fraid Iwas. It was the Evening Herald then and they did sell milk and pigs trotters outside the two dockyard gates and the sailors wore tiddly suits and the Chief Jack Dusty in the Barracks adulterated the rum the Commodore stirred into the Christmas pudding and it was before the silver theepenny bits therein were deemed harmful and had to be wrapped. Shock Yawn --Ouch!