Is RumRation Dead?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by digger84, Sep 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Over the past few weeks I have come to the conclusion that the majority of this forum is consists of Old Boys and Pre-joiners.

If you look over to Arrse, there are many threads that cover current topics and issues regarding the Army. When a serving member starts a thread with a question about a current issue, most replies consist of "back in my day" and the usual drivel associated with pre 80's Navy.

Also the current trend of over Moding seems to have pissed a few off, I remember when this forum was a good place to visit for a laugh or reading good buzzes.

My question is, how do we improve RumRation?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. I'm in the same mind. If it's not:

When's your joining date?

What your fitness test score?

What's the RFA like?

It's, what iron should I take?

It's going stake and over moding doesn't help? Not sure how many we have now MLP & SPB appear to have been drafted away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. That is a good point, over the past two years less and less people/oppos are on or use RR. Even the AIB crowd have died down.

As for promoting use, I don't knownow it could advertised. Maybe in the dockyard dandy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. I personally know a number of people on here, and not one of them appears to post anymore?

Shag shaker
    Fly Navy (mod)
    Chief Tiff (mod)
    Off Les Aura

To name a few. Maybe the AIB crowd have been warned not to use Wiki/RR for reference

I'll see if our webmaster can stick a link from our RNA website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  5. NN has just had a washn'scrub up and seems to be getting on okay. The point made about "back in my day..."
    or "when I was on the...." is quite simply a fact of life. We ALL get there sometime. However - having realised
    that I no longer had any relevance in todays hi-tech state-of-the-art next-generation Royal Navy, I remain
    entrenched down by Diamond Lils, The Gash Barge and sometimes (only sometimes) do I dare to pop up in
    another thread to reply with some witty reposte or even perhaps a bit of guidance having been in and attached
    to the military for more than 42 years. I leave all the sensible stuff to those who know their shit and I'm more
    than happy to keep on flooding the galleries with hot babes boobies (just to keep the rest of us interested).

Anyone got a problem with that?

p.s. It's not dead.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think all forums go through flurries & flatlines with regard activities, much the same as other forms of social media. Few users stay uniquely loyal to one and switch between their own particular areas of interest.

A few weeks back, with the airing of Commando School, the RM Recruiting Facebook page was getting hundreds of posts and a couple of thousand "likes" in four hour bursts. Now it's back to about a post a day.

For those that got as far as starting RM selection the PRMC forum was receiving as many as 3000 visitors a day with a peak of 860 online simultaneously. It's now levelled-off at about 2000 daily visitors & 120+ online simultaneously most evenings.

On here, there has been a spell of limited activity, but by posting threads such as this, it stimulates activity & hopefully participation.

One thing I've noticed elsewhere is the frenzied activities before Scotland had half a mind to go independent, have all pretty much turned into a damp squib after the resounding "no" echoed across the glens. Had it been a "yes", I've no doubt online chat would have become even more frenzied.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Indeed, as far as Jock-hunting goes the NO voters have shot our fox*.

* A furry ginger animal with a fairly disgusting taste in food and a tendency to make nasty howling noises under some circumstances.
  8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I've been here in one form or another since the start some 10 years ago. Bluntly I think this site is on life support and needs putting out of its misery. Merge the best forums with ARRSE and pull the plug.

The majority of those among us who were credible have long gone to ARRSE, and to be honest the site becomes more like ROMFT every day. Lets pull the plug and have a SINKEX for RR, and relaunch her on ARRSE.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Ninja
    No reflection on your good self but I think the Scotland debate was nipped in the bud which stopped many a good (and bad) comment being posted.
    I visit almost everyday and still enjoy the site.
  10. Purple_twiglet

There was a very good reason for the Scotland thread being pulled. No one likes to see threads being pulled, but sometimes there are very very good reasons to do so.
  11. AAF

AAF Badgeman

NO NO NO, we must not close the site and you should wash your mouth out for suggesting as much. If you and others like ARRSE so much then stay there and leave this site to us.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Indeed.

Despite what you may think, PT's actions were admirable. He volunteered himself to be the site asshole to try and save careers potentially getting torpedoed for reckless comments.
  13. PT, I have been a member of RR for the better part of 8 years now, and a member of ROMFT for 7. RR has changed quite a lot over those 8 years, in fact it has morphed several time, as members come and go. 8 years ago there was certainly more banter than there seem to be currently,

What I can say that RR is not becoming like ROMFT, if anything it was more like ROMFT 8 years ago than it is now
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Swings and roundabouts, it'll pick up again.

PT, if you think it's had it's day and needs merging with ARRSE, why are you still here?

You could just stay on there and leave RR yourself!
  15. Purple_twiglet

"PT, if you think it's had it's day and needs merging with ARRSE, why are you still here?"

Because no one has stepped up to mod the RNR forum and because I dislike walking away from something knowing that one of the few locations where people can get information on the RNR will soon be infested and overrun by spambots, trolls and general 'when I were a lad back in Nelsons day' posts which will only put off potential recruits.

Frankly I'd love to see the RNR, Newbies and maybe a couple of other threads given a home on ARRSE and then shut this down - large chunks of the site havent seen a post in months, and often for good reason.
  16. This site is dull. It's never gained the critical mass of currently serving, active members that a site like this needs to generate momentum. Look at what's happened in the last 3 or 4 months alone in RN terms (9 month trips, Low Utility Ships, FARADAY, run-up to SDSR etc) and most of the threads have been about the RFA or joining up.

I was behind the moves on ARRSE to get a RN only site set-up; I'll be honest, I'd be behind moves get this place shut down. It's an embarrassment that this is the "unofficial face of the RN".

I only post on the Newbies site to ensure that the old'n'bold don't give dits from the 70s in answer to genuine questions, and to challenge some of the inane bollocks that comes out about the modern RN/RNR. For decent debate (and humour) I much prefer ARRSE or the Naval Review website.
    • Like Like x 4

17. We need more sensible questions from some of the younger serving members.
    Questions which we old farts may be able to give answers to.

Such as:
    Do I play naughts and crosses with the kitias in Bugis street?
    Is Marsavin worth drinking in Valetta?
    How much should I give my slapper in Bangkok?
    How old is Pompey Lill?
    What are the symptoms of a dose?
    Should I put photos of my parties parts on RR?

Sensible questions such as the above will always be welcome.:D
  18. Purple_twiglet

ATG - how active is naval review website?
  19. quite active; ask @navalgazer for a second opinion. You have to be a member of NR though.
  20. Purple_twiglet

Need to sort my sub out for that I think!