Is Raleigh considered hard?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Taffd, Jan 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was a Ganges lad myself. Had a whale of a time and didn't understand why some people didn't like it. I figured it was some sort of continuous adventure holiday.
    I've no idea how people thought about Raleigh in those days and no idea idea, of course how they feel about it now.
    So - is it fun or what?

And the RN in general - I envisage it as exactly the same as when I was in, whilst being entirely differrent......Maybe I'm being very old-fashioned.

Any thoughts?
  2. You are jesting of course about HMS Ganges :lol: :lol:
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The funny thing about Raleigh is that the recurring theme in feedback from recruits passing out, is that it isn't as strict as the individuals had hoped - I kid you not.

Obviously it's open to conjecture, but phase one training in Raleigh now is 9 weeks long - Ganges, I understand, was several months duration, whereas when I joined in 1981, Raleigh phase one was only 6 weeks.

The obvious conclusion being that when I did it we were far brighter & it was much tougher in order to condense it into such a short period. :wink:
  4. I used to coach a kid who was going in totally the wrong direction, getting in trouble, hanging with the wrong crowd. He joined the RAF saying he wanted someone to beast him and make him change his ways. He too moaned it was too easy, some kids really want the kick up the ass treatment a la 'Full Metal Jacket'.
  5. I worked as a Phase 2 instructor at SMQ(N) in Faslane until 2008 and the lads said we were a lot stricter than Raleigh, what do they teach them in basic? Too much pink adnd fluffy now!
  6. Sorry to disappoint you but I joined at Ganges and did the 6 weeks, same as Raleigh. The course changed length when the Gov'ment raised the school leaving age to 16 :)

But Ganges turned boys into men whereas Raleigh took the opposite tack :wink:
  7. I don't doubt that Barney and a reasonable conclusion to draw. In the defence of Raleigh training staff/management they are very much under external scrutiny (the Deepcut syndrome?) though, and I'm afraid there does need to be an element of the 'pink and fluffy'.

Hasten to add, as a civvy working at Raleigh, what I see of the training it remains a high standard and the vast majority of the instructors retain the 'robust' approach us old ones would hope for - they just have to tread carefully.

That is, of course, just how I perceive the situation.
  8. :geek: I've sometimes thought about this question so I'm going to ask it! Bone or not :!: Do N.E. Part One trainees of today have to do their own washing and ironing, and are they still taught the skill of boot and shoe repair[ or snobbing as we called it?] It would not surprise me to learn that this was not so. :roll:
  9. Yes to the first part of your question, but boot and shoe repairs certainly not since '77.
  10. Going off on a tangent, it's odd seeing Deepcut mentioned all the time going through the Navy process. My dad being army, we lived in Deepcut and I always get a strange feeling whenever someone mentions it. It's such an obscure little shit-hole it seems odd it has risen to prominence. I know they were building some posh new houses not far from the barracks but I presume the dumpy Army estate is still there.

Anyways, odd.

I'm glad Raleigh doesn't like a treat them mean kind of place though. Not that I'd shy away from that stuff or anything, I just don't see myself as the kind of guy who needs to be reared hard.
  11. Splendid!

:hump: :wav:
  12. Ah, but I said I didn't.

I need a soft lover who knows what to do, who brings me chocolates and flowers and puppy dogs too. :wink:

And there ends my disturbingly bi-curious moment.
  13. Excellent try as a bite :wink: :wink: you are to be applauded :wav:
  14. Imagine giving JPA to your average Ganges rating? The Playstation generation have enough trouble with it!!!!
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One tries one's best :lol:
  16. CONDENSE THIS THEN :lol: :lol:
  17. No, honestly had a great time. Have to say that a few did not. From the mildly pissed-off, to the homesick, to the suicidal - some folks are just not suited to service life.
    Training was 12 months when I was there(1970-71).

I remember when my folks came to pass-out. My Dad wandered round misty-eyed, able to see all the ghosts of his mates from his time at Ganges in 1936. The place was virtually unchanged apparently, other than they'd stopped flogging the trainees.

I must say I cringed when he shouted 'Mac, you bastard' at the Fleet Master at Arms, as we crossed the parade ground.

An old mate, it turned out, from HMS Khedive. Anyway, he got called round the RPO's mess for the rest of the day.