Is it worth ringing Afco?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cracker89, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been offered a nursing course at work which is a year or so long.
    Im still waiting to hear a start date. I'm going in as CIS.
    Been waiting just over 6 month. Would it be worth ringing the AFCO for a estimate on a start date so I know whether to take up a place on the course or not? I've tried ringing today but he's not in the office!

Cheers :)
  2. Well if he's not in the office I would suggest that it's not worth ringing 8O
  3. Obviously should of known better than to ask a question on here!
  4. When do you have to tell work that you will do the course?
  5. Yes.
  6. Supposed to be by the end of today.
    Apparently he won't be back in the office until tomorrow.
  7. Dates for the course - ie how long it runs for?

btw what kind of nursing course?
  8. Waiting time for CIS is about 16 months. Take up the course and you may complete it in time.
  9. It's just over a year long. It starts September.
    I won't be a fully qualified RGN but ill be able to do pretty much the same job as them!
  10. cracker am sure one of the other CA would be able to give you this information all he has to do is check your details on the computer.
  11. OK.

When you are asked today whether you will take up the course, say yes.

Send an e-mail to your CA today, for him to read tomorrow, letting him know about this.

It's not that big a problem.
  12. Cracker, if your interested in nursing why are you joining as a CIS rather than MA or Nurse?

Feel free to tell me to do one, I'm just being a nosey bastard.
  13. It's my job at the minute. If I do my nurse training I get more pay!
    I want to go in as CIS because I'm more interested in communications, computer stuff ect than I am sticking needles in people.
    I don't have a email address for my CA so will have to wait until tomorrow.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

AFCO email addresses is highlighted in the link below.

The thing to remember is you are not obliged to join the Navy immediately an offer of service is given - in other words you can pass selection, have an entry date bid for, but simply advise the AFCO you are unavailable to start basic training until a given date, to allow you to finish nursey training, or whatever.
  15. I'd prefer to go in the navy than wait longer than I have to lol.
    I've just been told the course lasts for 1year 6month. Current waiting time for CIS is 16month according to the other thread.
  16. Fair enough :thumbright: