Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth ringing Afco?

I've been offered a nursing course at work which is a year or so long.
Im still waiting to hear a start date. I'm going in as CIS.
Been waiting just over 6 month. Would it be worth ringing the AFCO for a estimate on a start date so I know whether to take up a place on the course or not? I've tried ringing today but he's not in the office!

Cheers :)

soleil

War Hero
cracker89 said:
Been waiting just over 6 month. Would it be worth ringing the AFCO for a estimate on a start date so I know whether to take up a place on the course or not? I've tried ringing today but he's not in the office!

When do you have to tell work that you will do the course?

cracker89 said:

Waiting time for CIS is about 16 months. Take up the course and you may complete it in time.

It's just over a year long. It starts September.
I won't be a fully qualified RGN but ill be able to do pretty much the same job as them!

burnsy85

Lantern Swinger
cracker89 said:
Supposed to be by the end of today.
Apparently he won't be back in the office until tomorrow.

cracker am sure one of the other CA would be able to give you this information all he has to do is check your details on the computer.

soleil

War Hero
OK.

When you are asked today whether you will take up the course, say yes.

Send an e-mail to your CA today, for him to read tomorrow, letting him know about this.

It's not that big a problem.

K640

War Hero
Cracker, if your interested in nursing why are you joining as a CIS rather than MA or Nurse?

Feel free to tell me to do one, I'm just being a nosey bastard.

It's my job at the minute. If I do my nurse training I get more pay!
I want to go in as CIS because I'm more interested in communications, computer stuff ect than I am sticking needles in people.
I don't have a email address for my CA so will have to wait until tomorrow.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
AFCO email addresses is highlighted in the link below.

The thing to remember is you are not obliged to join the Navy immediately an offer of service is given - in other words you can pass selection, have an entry date bid for, but simply advise the AFCO you are unavailable to start basic training until a given date, to allow you to finish nursey training, or whatever.

I'd prefer to go in the navy than wait longer than I have to lol.
I've just been told the course lasts for 1year 6month. Current waiting time for CIS is 16month according to the other thread.

K640

War Hero
cracker89 said:
It's my job at the minute. If I do my nurse training I get more pay!
I want to go in as CIS because I'm more interested in communications, computer stuff ect than I am sticking needles in people.
I don't have a email address for my CA so will have to wait until tomorrow.

Fair enough :thumbright:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
MoD_RSS UKEF helps Lincoln exporter secure £750,000 worth of overseas business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF support helps secure £10 million worth of orders for Welsh tech exporter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homes England agrees funding packages worth £300m to accelerate delivery of 20,000 London homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border force seize cocaine worth £4.86 million at Harwich MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Culture that’s worth staying at home for this Easter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Digital sector worth more than £400 million a day to UK economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK defence procurement spend worth more than £1.7 billion a year to Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s booming cyber security sector worth £8.3 billion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Carlisle thief who stole £25,000 worth of jewellery in violent attack jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Billions of pounds worth of commercial deals signed at Summit MoD News 0
Stirlin Worth a watch Sports and Adventure Training 1
MoD_RSS DIO awards contract worth £17-million for next phase of work at Bassingbourn Barracks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Government signs agreements worth £31m to support development in Somaliland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Spellbinding Monet work worth £28 million at risk of being lost MoD News 0
G Is it worth it? Joining the Royal Navy 16
MoD_RSS News story: UK wins global F-35 support assignment worth £500M MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 10 year olds in the UK have consumed 18 years’ worth of sugar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British firms on track to score World Cup deals worth £1.5 billion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Projects worth £600 billion in the pipeline as government gets Britain building MoD News 0
D RNR and RMR, oh, and whether its worth it! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 31
MoD_RSS Press release: Support deal worth £100m agreed for Puma helicopters MoD News 0
P Guardian article on the sinking of HMS Sheffield - for what it's worth History 2
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy leads international efforts to seize drugs worth £400M MoD News 0
R Pre-AIB training course: is it worth it? Joining the Royal Navy 2
Onestep Worth getting an MOT? Health & Fitness 0
richard richard AET - Subjects worth studying before entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Bad CO Win A Set of Body Armour Worth £500 Competitions 8
S Is the RNR worth joining? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 109
R worth going submarines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
W Football worth watching again Sports and Adventure Training 7
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Seizes 1.25 Tonnes Of Cocaine Worth £60 million From Speedboat" RFA 2
soleil Mirror: "RN Warship Seizes Cannabis And Cocaine Worth £58 Million In Caribbean" The Fleet 0
soleil BFBS: "Hammond: 'Second UK Carrier Worth Using'" The Fleet 2
soleil ITV: "Royal Navy Seize Drugs Haul Worth £100 Million" The Fleet 7
finknottle Should be worth a shufti tonight Diamond Lil's 25
S Question: Do you think its worth keeping your car if you join the navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
nobby0919 Museum worth a look - Combined Military services Mueum - Maldon , Essex History 6
timberlake All worth it in the end...? Current Affairs 2
Pontius Public safety notice from Pontius' high-viz jacket, jobs worth department Diamond Lil's 1
soleil Sun: "I Struggled To Get Down On One Knee – But Sophie’s Worth It" The Corps 0
soleil Mail: "US Marines Intercept Drugs Worth £6m With The Help Of Royal Navy Helicopters" The Fleet Air Arm 1
finknottle Must be worth watching Current Affairs 9
skyvet Paddy's War (Blatantly plaguerised, but worth it!) Land Ops 3
lewismansell Books about the FAA worth reading The Fleet Air Arm 15
R Poetry Worth a Read- very apt. The Quarterdeck 4
JordySEA RNR is it worth it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
BillyNoMates Worth a glance. The Corps 5
psycho-fluffy Stolen from ARRSE but worth support Petitions 3
rod-gearing Grit worth more than gold? Diamond Lil's 11