Is it true?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by electric_chef, Jan 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got this statement off of, royalnavy.mod.uk

Submarine service FAQs

. Where do you sleep?

On British submarines there is an area set-aside as the "bunk space", which contains all the beds or bunks for the crew. Each bunk is approx. 2 metres long by 1 metre wide by 1 metre high, and is often shared by two men who are in different shifts or "watches". The principle is; as each man gets up to go "on watch" he rolls up his own sleeping bag, and rolls out the sleeping bag of the man coming "off watch". During the normal operations of a submarine the sleeping area will only be lit by dim red lights, so as to enable the off watch sailors to sleep. The only man who has his own room, or cabin, is the Commanding Officer.

we didn't hot bunk back thirty odd years ago! OK sometimes, rarely,

but now in the 21st century, I don't believe it!

surely the author is swinging the lamp, jackanory style.

2. I can well believe it's still happening. In the RAN O boats it was a fact of life until the class paid off in the late 90s. It was mainly part 3s, however quite often the qualified ships company had to hotbunk as the scheme of complement had increased in the mid 80s but, naturally, with no extra bunks. This normally only affected Junior Rates but on occasion the Senior Rates were affected as well, specially on patrol with all the extra passengers.

I have it on good authority that the same is happening in the Collins class, and a USN Chief once told me that the troops in Seawolf hotbunk.

Regarding 'rolling out the sleeping bag of the man coming off watch', one patrol the TI and I shared a bunk in the Forends. I came off watch one morning to find my sleeping bag rolled out, the side turned down and a chocolate on my pillow. :???:

3. Have even had some hot bunking on a Bomber with FOST embarked, and we managed to put the fat tw*ts on the highest bunks - until one fat tw*t pulled the grab handle off the deckhead!!

4. Hot bunking does not routinely occur. On the Vanguard SSBNs, the CO, XO,MEO and WEO have their own cabins, I recall from conversations.

5. I recently visited a Daphene (French design) Spanish Navy boat on display in Torriveija. The D/e boat was built in 1971 a bit smaller than a P and O boat. It had 10 internal tubes, 8 fwd and 2 in stern plus two under aft casing. No reloads were carried. The for-ends was the J.R's mess with bunks four high port and starboard. The after ends was the S/R's mess. They operated three watches and bunks for only 2 thirds of the crew were provided.

Further enquirers with the guide and a Tiff of my acquaint who visited many European navy boats indicate that two thirds bunks was the norm over the Channel and North Sea.

Nutty

The boat is well worth a visit if you are in this area.

6. On the History Channel this morning they were onboard HMS Splendid during the Gulf War2, and one of the Chief's said," they had bunks for 98 and were actually carrying 129". So yes, even today they are Hot Bunking.
    RoofRat

7. The big driver for the French boats being as small was the desire to continue to us the big concrete submarine houses there friendly German neighbors had left of a previous visit. Dutch boats were much bigger and German boats (thus Danes and Norwegians) were smaller because post WW2 they did not wish to be seen to aquire an ocean going capability.

8. I'm not even going to ask :shock: :shock:

9. And for starters? A smidgen of LG 280. :???:

10. "hot bunking" is still standard practice on SSNs and not just for trainees - there are only about 90 bunks for potentially max safe load of about 136 personnel. Depending on how many "bombs" you've got embarked, there may be about 20 bunk trays in the "bomb shop". Astute apparently has enough bunks for crew and riders - if you believe that you'll believe anything !! "All buddies in boats "

11. Yes it is (for SSNs anyway). I can only talk knowledgibly about S Boats, but the CO has his own cabin, the XO & WEO share a cabin, as do the MEO & DMEO. All the other officers are in one 6-man bunkspace, which usually involves some hot-bunking for the juniors.

The Cox'n, WO2WEA and WO2MEAs each have their own bunk on 2 deck, and nearly all of the senior rates are in a 27-bunk bunkspace. The back-afties each get a bunk of their own, but the rest are generally hot-bunking.

The JRs are fwd of 29BHD in 2 bunkspaces. The frontc**ts hotbunk, the afties don't.

That's because it doesn't work with a 3-watch system, which we have back aft.

In the bombshop you get riders & part3s. If they're really unlucky, not only will they have to sleep in a fibreglass shell, but they might end up hotbunking too - Stop dripping & get yourself qualified then!!!

12. And here is the actual vessel... the future of our boats perhaps: micro-boats for micro-matelots?

[​IMG]

13. Is that you with the "Gold Braid", aac? :grin: :lol:

14. Feck sake AAC now you have blown my cover and they will all know I am not a ex British RN L/S RP2 Submariner but a Admiral in the Royal Spanish Navy. OK Lads I confess I am a Walt and I have never been in the RN.

My Inglas ain't bad is it.

Nutty

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Alright Sam D'Costa - I wondered where you'd been hiding! :lol:

16. OK SPB I will confess all, thats Sam in the middle wiv der and bag, the one wiv der blue stripey tie is Seadog cos that all the good conduct badges he has got over the years. Just look how long that tie is it hangs out the bottom of his jacket how many years has he served. The one wiv der silly grin is Senor Higgy De Pig and im on der end is Senor Anyman a well know Green Peace activist, you can tell by his tie.

Nutty