Is it true they are getting rid of Get You Home Pay?

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by mcyates, Aug 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard two people talking about it yesterday on the ship? Surely not, i'm getting my own house at the end of the year and I would have got just over £300 which would have really helped me to travel up to Middlesbrough. I'm on course at sultan from January so its going to be expensive for me to drive up north each weeken, may have to do it once a month!!

Is it true?

Thanks in advance.
  2. I've only just started claiming, I've herd no such thing.
  3. Doubtless the official answer is that "All allowances are kept under reveiw".

Nothing would surprise me. Also stand by for the 'what other company would pay you to live at the wrong end of the country?' responses.

Across all allowances I would make the most of them now as who knows how long any will stay.

I'll keep my personal views personal.
  4. Hope so, about time.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My own opinion, FWIW, is that I sincerely hope not - whilst not entitled personally.

What really miffs me, is not the fact that there are people more senior than me who grossly abuse their personal use of service vehicles & the fuel provided, it's when they enter into the realms of hypocrisy by proposing cuts in travel concessions as a supposed cost saving measure.

All this of course, despite the even worse actions of those in parliament, whatever their politics.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  6. It always has been one rule for some and another for the rest though hasn't it?

The bosses everywhere always win.

******* boys own club.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I could go down the "dry your eyes princess" route here but the reality I can assure if not what you imagine. No doubt people Wlil dispute this but the brass are being as affected as we are, they are no way immune to the allowance cuts and in some ways quirks mean they take slightly more of a cut.
  8. Get you home pay! What will they think of next? Use your thumb like we had to.

(retires behind glass of Pussers, awaiting incoming)

9. Serious question, did you not have warrants?
  10. Serious answer - only for duty trips, compassionate, and long leave as I recall, (standing by to be corrected by Granny, Jesse, Seafarer39, et al), but later, after I'd picked up my PO's rate, they did introduce the system where a number of warrants were allocated, and could be drawn on request for LWE as required until the allocation was exhausted. Bear in mind that we also had to submit a request form (to the Captain, through Divisional officer etc.) for SWE leave (midday Sat to 0715 Mon), and fall in for liberty boats on shore establishments, even after the wearing of civilian clothes had been granted to junior rates. "Civilian clothes" consisted of jacket, trousers, collar and tie, and proper shoes.
    As a L/H, married with one child, living in Lovedean MQ in 1956, I was picked up by the Commander, who had decided he would like to inspect libertymen on the 1300 watchkeepers boat, for wearing fluourescent socks (all the rage at the time), and told in no uncertain terms that bringing such items into his establishment again would result in "n" days stoppage of leave.
    We did indeed serve in a different Navy!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The GYHP allowance was introduced when rail warrants were withdrawn.

Those who are entitled to use service vehicles should only use them for service journeys. Most do.
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

From distant memory (1960-1970) we could claim 3 warrants a year (if someone else says 4 I wouldn't argue) when you used them was up to you. As 2BM says it was normal to thumb up the line, pussers grip with cap tied to the handle if not in full rig. Rarely did you walk more than a few yards before being picked up.

Obviouosly warrants/tickets were issued for duty purposes.

I think the Services are starting to go through what the Police have already experienced with a steady erosion of allowances quite often brought in so that those who join after a certain date don't get a particular allowance. No one already serving really complains as its not affecting them.
  13. Thanks for the replies, I'll just have to keep a look out. I'll ask the PO Writer tomorrow as everyone returns from leave.
  14. MCY

I'm pretty sure that this is the answer to your question - it is GYH EY which has been removed completely (unless for under 18s/Ph. 1).

Get You Home (Travel) (GYH(T))

- GYH(T) rate calculation to be based on the harmonised MMA rate of 25p per mile, down from the current rate of 26p per mile.

- Will reduce GYH(T) daily rates by approximately 40p for every £10 currently claimed.

GYH (Early Years) (GYH(EY))

GYH(EY) (Overseas Assistance)

- To be removed except for under 18s and Phase 1 Training only.

- 2 journeys can still be claimed during Phase 1 Training or 4 journeys per year until aged 18.

GYH (Seagoers) (GYH(S))

- GYH(S) annual entitlement to be reduced from 12 to 10 pa.
  15. Still with the standard qualifying time of 30 days per warrant - up to a maximum of 10.

If you're onboard and claiming GYH(T) as well, make sure you check with the ships office when you'll be allowed to use them as the rules are generally pretty strict about this.
  16. Yup...that was roughly as I remember the drill (64 - 74).

As to your second observation re the police and the erosion of allowances etc....noticed a big difference over the years. Pay rise in one hand only to have any advantage clawed back from the surprise the MOD are moving in the same direction....