Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it time to re-ban women from serving on submarines?

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
@civvy_SJM2

Just a point for the OP - you are expected to add a comment of your own and not just throw in links.

Take a moment to edit your initial post and tell us what you think about it.

Plus - if you are a journo and fishing for comments from here, be advised that most posters are ex-RN and those aspiring to join, so anything said here is NOT reflective of current RN policy or attitudes.

civvy_SJM2

Badgeman
@civvy_SJM2

Just a point for the OP - you are expected to add a comment of your own and not just throw in links.

Take a moment to edit your initial post and tell us what you think about it.

Plus - if you are a journo and fishing for comments from here, be advised that most posters are ex-RN and those aspiring to join, so anything said here is NOT reflective of current RN policy or attitudes.
My sincere apologies, please see my two PM's to you.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Seen, and replied.

There is no need to delete this post - but I will add my comment that I put in my response to you so others can see it:

What is important, in this case, is that there are plenty of females who successfully serve on HM ships as dedicated professionals, upholding the values and standards of the Royal Navy. The alleged indiscretions of a few cannot be used to tarnish the whole. That in itself is a very dangerous mindset.

It is inevitable that some will use the recent media reports as evidence of "I told you so", but one swallow does not a summer make. Context and perspective are very relevant here. Plus, these are alleged incidents and unless or until there are formal proceedings as a result of the investigation, it is not appropriate to comment. Speculation is just that - it is not proof.

civvy_SJM2

Badgeman
Seen, and replied.

There is no need to delete this post - but I will add my comment that I put in my response to you so others can see it:

It is inevitable that some will use the recent media reports as evidence of "I told you so", but one swallow does not a summer make. Context and perspective are very relevant here. Plus, these are alleged incidents and unless or until there are formal proceedings as a result of the investigation, it is not appropriate to comment. Speculation is just that - it is not proof.
I see your point. I will edit the post tomorrow, <REDACTED>. I will endeavor to be far more thoughtful/careful in the future.

Many thanks,
civvy_SJM2

Last edited:

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Steven

Where does your interest stem from? I was wondering whether you were in academia in some capacity?
I seriously doubt it - why would an academic with a genuine interest in the subject use a headline from 3 years ago to illustrate their question? That would be like asking 'Should we lower the speed limit on this road because there's been one accident - 3 years ago and caused by an unlicensed drunk driver?'

I may be wrong, but I think he's fishing for some controversy and googled 'HMS Vigilant' after the story that broke this weekend.

civvy_SJM2

Badgeman
Hi again,
I deeply regret posting this thread, it was a serious lack of judgement on my part. I would have deleted the thread very shortly after posting it, had I been able to do so. I now realise that post was thoughtless and insulting to all women submariners.

Also, I have inadvertently undermined the right of the alleged offenders to a presumption of innocence. For some reason, when I read the article, I thought the alleged offenders had all been charged and found guilty, I now know that is not the case. I am a big believer in due process and proper justice, and I would not have posted this thread if I realised that investigations into this matter were still ongoing.

I would like to sincerely apologise to you all, and to the Officers and Crew of the HMS Vigilant for my immense stupidity.

I will now respond to a couple of comments:
@soleil, you asked: "Where does your interest stem from? I was wondering whether you were in academia in some capacity?"
I'm afraid not, I'm just a naval enthusiast from <REDACTED>.

I may be wrong, but I think he's fishing for some controversy and googled 'HMS Vigilant' after the story that broke this weekend.
I can understand why you might think that, but I swear nothing could be further from the truth. I have enormous respect for the Royal Navy. I simply wanted to get people's opinion on the issue, which I now realise was very foolish. I didn't mean to cause trouble.

Apologies once again, thank you all for your attention.

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
Seen, and replied.

Seen, and replied.

"but one swallow does not" good quote for this thread? o_O

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
I knew someone would go for that one - and I won the bet on who it would be!

I have finally qualified for my Mods mug!!

Sumo

War Hero
I knew someone would go for that one - and I won the bet on who it would be!

I have finally qualified for my Mods mug!!
your a Mug, who'd of thought it ;) if you need a gutter sweeping, Ground Level obviously?

It is interesting to note that in the past there have also been relationships between men on submarines and they have caused problems.
No names, no pack drill but while I was on a course at ARTE, Dounreay,I was taken off course to sit an exam early then immediately drafted to a boat as relief for a SC member who had been kicked off the boat I joined for sexual activity with another SC member. There was a shortage of qualified personnel in my spec at that time which sparked my early exam and pierhead jump.

So should we also closely screen for gay personnel and ban them from service at sea, too?:rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Ban on women in ground close combat roles lifted MoD News 0
Ninja_Stoker "Navy set to lift ban on women in submarines" Current Affairs 71
MoD_RSS Distribution firm’s collapse uncovers director’s previous ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention - 18th Meeting of State Parties: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New public consultation on total ban of online advertising for unhealthy foods MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel ban implemented to protect public health following Denmark COVID-19 mink outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Events company’s collapse shines light on director’s prior ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Start of ban on plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Holiday parks boss receives 14-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jenrick extends ban on evictions and notice periods MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jeweller has ban extended after breaching court orders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ban for manufacturing director caught breaching disqualification MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Falsifying tax returns lands construction boss with ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment director ban after £150k bonus prior to liquidation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Concealing tax liabilities lands takeaway boss with ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ban on evictions extended by 2 months to further protect renters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inaccurate tax returns lands takeaway boss with ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra protection for businesses with ban on evictions for commercial tenants who miss rent payments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Complete ban on evictions and additional protection for renters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Failure to pay taxes lands recruiter with ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS US to lift ban on UK beef exports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 11-year ban for bankrupt who gifted £4 million of investments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Legislation to ban plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds enters Parliament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Disqualified packaging boss sentenced for breaching ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Diverting customer payments lands restaurateur with 11-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 5-year ban for property boss after abusing client’s funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Failure to safeguard deposits lands lettings boss with ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Facilitating nuisance calls lands Cambridge director with ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 21 million nuisance calls lands telecoms boss with ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK National Statement at the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention: 4th Review Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tax offences lands engineering boss 11-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 6-year ban for greetings cards boss MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of nuisance calls lands property boss 5-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jailed restaurateur served with ban after £1m tax fraud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pension scheme negligence lands insurance boss seven-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Spotlight shone on disqualified shadow director flouting ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PHE calls on all NHS Trusts to ban smoking on hospital grounds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Gove takes action to ban plastic straws, stirrers, and cotton buds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 14-year ban for Brazilian social housing investment boss MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Gove delivers legislation to ban wild animals in circuses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Disqualified boss gets second ban for illegally running restaurant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Millions of nuisance PPI calls lands director with 8-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Consulting on options to ban old tyres MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government to consult on ban on 10-year-old tyres to boost road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: 4-year ban for director who abused text message regulations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jailed restaurant owner served with directorship ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Takeaway boss gets second disqualification after breaching first ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ban of third party sales of puppies and kittens, known as ‘Lucy’s Law’, confirmed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Precious metal investment schemes lands director with 14-year ban MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Poor record keeping lands nightclub boss with 6-year ban MoD News 0