Is it time to re-ban women from serving on submarines?

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
@civvy_SJM2

Just a point for the OP - you are expected to add a comment of your own and not just throw in links.

Take a moment to edit your initial post and tell us what you think about it.

Plus - if you are a journo and fishing for comments from here, be advised that most posters are ex-RN and those aspiring to join, so anything said here is NOT reflective of current RN policy or attitudes.

civvy_SJM2

Lantern Swinger
@civvy_SJM2

Just a point for the OP - you are expected to add a comment of your own and not just throw in links.

Take a moment to edit your initial post and tell us what you think about it.

Plus - if you are a journo and fishing for comments from here, be advised that most posters are ex-RN and those aspiring to join, so anything said here is NOT reflective of current RN policy or attitudes.
My sincere apologies, please see my two PM's to you.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Seen, and replied.

There is no need to delete this post - but I will add my comment that I put in my response to you so others can see it:

What is important, in this case, is that there are plenty of females who successfully serve on HM ships as dedicated professionals, upholding the values and standards of the Royal Navy. The alleged indiscretions of a few cannot be used to tarnish the whole. That in itself is a very dangerous mindset.

It is inevitable that some will use the recent media reports as evidence of "I told you so", but one swallow does not a summer make. Context and perspective are very relevant here. Plus, these are alleged incidents and unless or until there are formal proceedings as a result of the investigation, it is not appropriate to comment. Speculation is just that - it is not proof.

civvy_SJM2

Lantern Swinger
Seen, and replied.

There is no need to delete this post - but I will add my comment that I put in my response to you so others can see it:

It is inevitable that some will use the recent media reports as evidence of "I told you so", but one swallow does not a summer make. Context and perspective are very relevant here. Plus, these are alleged incidents and unless or until there are formal proceedings as a result of the investigation, it is not appropriate to comment. Speculation is just that - it is not proof.
I see your point. I will edit the post tomorrow, <REDACTED>. I will endeavor to be far more thoughtful/careful in the future.

Many thanks,
civvy_SJM2

Last edited:

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Steven

Where does your interest stem from? I was wondering whether you were in academia in some capacity?
I seriously doubt it - why would an academic with a genuine interest in the subject use a headline from 3 years ago to illustrate their question? That would be like asking 'Should we lower the speed limit on this road because there's been one accident - 3 years ago and caused by an unlicensed drunk driver?'

I may be wrong, but I think he's fishing for some controversy and googled 'HMS Vigilant' after the story that broke this weekend.

civvy_SJM2

Lantern Swinger
Hi again,
I deeply regret posting this thread, it was a serious lack of judgement on my part. I would have deleted the thread very shortly after posting it, had I been able to do so. I now realise that post was thoughtless and insulting to all women submariners.

Also, I have inadvertently undermined the right of the alleged offenders to a presumption of innocence. For some reason, when I read the article, I thought the alleged offenders had all been charged and found guilty, I now know that is not the case. I am a big believer in due process and proper justice, and I would not have posted this thread if I realised that investigations into this matter were still ongoing.

I would like to sincerely apologise to you all, and to the Officers and Crew of the HMS Vigilant for my immense stupidity.

I will now respond to a couple of comments:
@soleil, you asked: "Where does your interest stem from? I was wondering whether you were in academia in some capacity?"
I'm afraid not, I'm just a naval enthusiast from <REDACTED>.

I may be wrong, but I think he's fishing for some controversy and googled 'HMS Vigilant' after the story that broke this weekend.
I can understand why you might think that, but I swear nothing could be further from the truth. I have enormous respect for the Royal Navy. I simply wanted to get people's opinion on the issue, which I now realise was very foolish. I didn't mean to cause trouble.

Apologies once again, thank you all for your attention.

Last edited:

Latest Threads