Is it right to lie to Children about Christmas?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by fly_past, Nov 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it right to tell them that this Guy Santa, comes and sees them - at night - when they are asleep - knows all about them - and comes in via the Chimney/fireplace.......
    He leaves you presents (never accept anything from strangers.....)

And when they get to age 10(ish) you tell them that Santa doesnt exist (in effect you were lying).....

Oh the modern lifestyle, how wonderful.......

2. Costs a bloody fortune either way .

3. WHAT?!?!?!

You . . you mean he isn't real?!?!?!?! :crying:

4. Much the same as telling them that when the ice cream van is playing its music it actually means he has no ice cream left!!

5. Hey call me a bad mother but I do this already and my daughter is only 2!!

6. There is no right or wrong when it comes to parenting, it is up to the parents.
    I wish people would butt out and stop trying to tell parents what they should or shouldn't do.

7. Lamri,
    I am ASKING if it is right to lie, not telling peeps what to do....

Go to the bottom (nice avatar) of the class and get the hat with D on it on the way!

8. In my opinion, I think most kids find out on the playground that Santa and his gang don't exist from the years above them.

9. No no no, I wasn't accusing YOU of doing such a thing!
    It just seems to be everywhere these days, can do this, don't do that.

We tell our kids that Santa is watching them etc etc but they know that we buy the presents from him.

10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I went for the whole hog, told little miss Blobby that the easter bunny was dead and the tooth fairy didn't exist either, she said she knew because big miss blobby had already told her. Her mate who was with her at the time stood there with mouth agog mind. Her mum wasn't to pleased with me.

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Fuggin' 'ell, WB. Why not just go the whole hog and tell her you're not her Dad either? 8O

Or maybe you already did... :twisted:

12. Is it right to lie to Children about Christmas?

Yes;

a. it's good practice for when something important crops up

b. it's an early introduction for them to the realities of life

13. The myth and magic of Xmas is harmless I reckon and enjoyed by adults as much as the kids in many cases. The fun of dressing up is great but to see the kids' faces in the morning , priceless . I believe to continue the myth or lie if you wish is OK because like all of us we soon learn there ain't no Father Xmas . And , of course , " I saw mummy kissing Santa Claus ", is kinda nice .

THE FOUR STAGES OF LIFE:

1) You believe in Santa Claus.
    2) You don't believe in Santa Claus.
    3) You are Santa Claus.
    4) You look like Santa Claus.

I'm at stage four , Xmas , bah humbug

14. Actually, I think you'll find that the majority of children (certainly my three) click onto the fact that there really isn't a Santa Clause long before the parents come clean. They do this as it's part of the magic of being a child but on a more pragmatic front because the longer they let us going on pretending about it, the better presents and better time they get. Most parents (myself included) get to a point where the whole thing is more for them than for their kids. My three are all now grown up and I miss the excitement of christmas morning, drinks out for Rudolf etc. So, to any of you with little ones out there - make the most of it as they grow up far too soon.

15. I know this is a bit more of an issue because we play the role of Santa Claus and leave physical evidence of his supposed existence, but we don't start every fairy story with a disclaimer (eg this is a work of fiction - any similarity to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental, etc., etc.). Why do the kids need to be told one way or the other until they eventually ask the question?

I think 'lying' is too strong a word to use. It's just perpetuating a fun story, and it doesn't have to end when the little ones find out Santa isn't real. It's not like we're denying evolution or something.... :)

16. it all well and good leaving food out for the big man but what about if you forget.

cue

SS biting a carrot in half - raw,
    eating half a mince pie and drinking a shot of whisky (MMMMMMMMN) at 0530 last chrimbo

MMMMMMN whisky

17. Oh Brains..... you missed the point of it all.

The question is "Is it right to lie ......." and YES it is a lie. You are telling a lie and not the truth (its up to you though , I lied to my children).

The story of Crimbo is a religious one, the Santa bit about a guy who would be in excess of 300 yrs old (as was Noah-ark, flood etc).
    Santa is a real figure to Children - if you go putting out gifts from him and leaving a mince pie and whisky for him (I enjoy that bit).

My sons no longer believe in Santa - they already have some other fat guy in the house who waddles about -ME!

Enjoy Crimbo and all the festivities of the season - whatever your viewpoint is I will be.

I shall leave a mince pie and tot out for me oooopppppss Santa. and will be having a great time snoring my way through the queens speech -a tradition my dad started and I dare not mess with!

Will have the best time my health and family can do without guilt / shame or whatever I believe.

I will seek out some tramps/down-and-outs/ homeless etc and give them a box of useful gifts and some real cheer. I do not donate to overseas charities as the UK is still fcuked up and needs sorting out first.

18. Fly_past Quote:
    I will seek out some tramps/down-and-outs/ homeless etc and give them a box of useful gifts and some real cheer. Unquote.

Can I give you my mobile number??.....Please!! :evil4: