Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Matt-c, Nov 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been reading so many articles (and maybe too many posts on ARRSE) lately that keep suggesting the RN has no ships left and couldn't even defend against some pedalo's if it wanted to. My question is to those of you who are currently serving, are things that bad? Or is it bollocks and the tabloids just putting their own spin on things?

Either way, its not going to sway my decision of joining but maybe I should stop reading stories on the daily mail site :slow:.

2. The First Sea Lord is handing the keys back this coming Friday and closing the door on his way out.

3. Don't read the mail

That's your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Its bollocks. And do stop reading the mail, it's for your own good.

5. Matt - what does the Daily Mail know about anything in the "real world" let alone defence and the like?

6. Your mum...

Sorry wrong thread.

7. These pedalos didn't fare too well: [​IMG]

8. cheers everyone, i should have known better than to believe the tabloids :slow:

9. tam

tam

I can only deduce that one becomes an authority on the Daily Wail through avid reading of the said publication, I am pleased to say that I do not fall into that group.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Time to wheel out the old favourite:

Daily Mail* Headline Generator"

(*It is worth noting that any Daily Mail headline phrased as a question can be answered with the word "No".)

11. The RN managed admirably of Libya.

12. The RN managed so well in Libya that one of the ships that was sent out there for eight weeks is still deployed eight months later because there is no ship to relief her. I'm sure if you ask any of the ships company on there they will tell you how good it is!

The RN is on the bones of it's arse. Moral is very low due to the uncertainty over the next tranche of redundancies, the lads coming off the decommissioning ships have no ships to through draft to and there is no accomodation for them in base port, at least that is the case in Devonport. Our lords and masters are now reviewing our pensions again, and the din that was issued was as clear as mud. They never learn the golden rules of man management. Never mess around with peoples pay or leave. The screwed us over in 2000 with pay 2000, then again in 2005 with the new pension scheme. They haven't touched our leave but then again people are deployed for so long now that they can't actually take their leave, a fact that makes the hierarchy whinge every year when we ask to carry it over.

So is it that bad? Wait three years, join up, spend the first 4 years of your career cleaning, then decide for yourself if it is that bad.

13. Aye, it's hard to believe that government’s primary role is the defence of the realm.

14. Really, where is that written down?

I would submit the government's primary role is to fulfill the promises it in it's manifesto, and thereby remain in power.

15. Well I did say it's hard to believe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. How exactly are we being screwed over with pay and pensions? We're on a good deal for "cleaning". And it's not the first time a ship has been sent on station for an undetermined amount of time only to be away longer than thought.

Stop dripping. Macdonalds are always looking for new blood.

17. Apart from the last 12 months when was the last time a ship was sent away for eight weeks that turned into over 8 months, or for an undetermined time. I certainly can't think of any for quite sometime.

In answer to your question. When the new pension scheme came out we were asked to make a decision based on the future. In order for the new pension scheme to be worth while you have to do over 30 years service. Considering a lot of us weren't in 2oe how could we possibly make an informed desicion on whether to change or not.

When pay 2000 came out we were told that no one would take a pay cut but our earning potential over our careers could be reduced. Now this part is pure speculation over the next pension scheme. If the MOD decide to get rid of the final salary pension scheme and move to a lifetime average wage pension, then suddenly pay 2000 starts to bite again and the reason to stay 22 years is far less attractive.

There are also a lot of people out there that are still very bitter about pay 2000, so while you say we get paid well for cleaning, there are a lot of people on the lower pay scale with huge responsibilities compared to some on the higher pay scale. Incidently I am not a CMEM and I'm also not some sprog who doesn't know what I am talking about.

18. Anybody still dripping about something that happened a decade ago needs to dry there eyes and ask themselves the following: What is my salary? How much do I contribute to my pension? How much In home to duties / GYH / LOA etc do I get? How much do I pay for medical / dental treatment? Education? Gym membership? Accommodation? Resettlement allowance? Gratuity?

Yup, it's a raw deal alright. Should have tried harder at school and earned 24k as a graduate with none of those perks.

19. And remember, if you had that degree and a job with £24K, you'd be awfully lucky to have less than £20K of student debt.

20. Absolutely. Unlike the RN which gives you 6k of ELCs toward an OU degree, which basically means they give you one for free. How very harsh.