Is it a good idea to have a 'girlfriend' or a 'wife' when in the Navy?

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by MrIndeed, Jan 31, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the chances of being cheated upon?

What are the chances of returning back to the shores of Britain to find your wife has taken all your shit?

What are the chances of still being in a relationship?

2. "Weapons Free"

• Like Like x 3
  3. I was waiting for someone to say that.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Apologies Billy, I'm nothing if not predictable.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

1, About 16.3:1, but first you have to find someone initially attracted to you. If a person is attracted to someone with obvious insecurity issues, then there's often a self-fulfilling prophecy. You may even find there's an ulterior motive to exploit their naivety. Others just invent statistical data to illustrate a point.

2. If ever you get married, you'll realise your possessions are no longer your own anyway. Unless anything breaks, then it's yours again.

3. Matelots have a higher than average divorce rate and the reasons centre on separation & independent living - for both. A person that can cope with separation may not always be an ideal partner when together 24/7 and one that wants 24/7 togetherness is often the cause of many a wasted Naval career.

Incidentally, the above applies to male or female matelots.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Current Affairs? Not that kind of 'affairs' Mr Braindead.

Moved to Nearest and Dearest.

• Like Like x 2
  7. A matelot should have as many girlfriends as can afford to keep him in booze and sex. He should also have a many wives as posibble in so long as their husbands do not find out

8. Ninja_Stoker

Isn't there a Naval toast about just that? "Wives & Girlfriends, may they never meet".

• Like Like x 2
  9. By taking all your shit? Do you mean your illegal supply of class A? Maybe the RN is not the best career for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Yes, there was. But not now . . . not if we want to incur the wrath of 2SL ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. No, there are no married personnel in the RN. It's possible in principle, but pretty much unheard of in practice. I heard, once, of an Admiral who had tied the knot, but it's probably a gash dit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it is no longer the case, thankfully & rightly. That said, it would be rather sad to censor a historic record of sexism in the Naval service, pretending it never existed.

Similarly, on the subject of changing history, Naval Ratings never used to swear an oath of allegiance for 500 years, but those joining today do. It makes not a jot of difference, nor does a marrige vow to some, but sanitising history doesn't alter the true history. :)

13. Why was the oath brought in? I'm quite proud never to have had to swear an oath. Unlike my dirty crab and pongo oppos.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ninja_Stoker

I imagine it was brought in as a result of the last Armed Forces act, but it was unleashed at HMS Raleigh a couple or three years ago.

Those already serving have not been retrospectively made to swear an oath (beyond "Get F*cked"), which kind of proves it is completely meaningless, pointless & another stunner from the SO1 "good ideas club".

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Are you a real person?

• Like Like x 3
  16. It was hell when I finally came home to live full time 13 years after I left the MOB

17. The fact that he/she posted on here possibly, but who know's? could be a strange thing.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  18. To be honest I think you'll be fine, judging from your posts I'm not sure you'll be at the top of the food chain when it comes to relationships. As long as she leaves the nightclub before ten to two you should be ok. Being a bottom feeder probably has it's benefits that way.

She owns it anyway, you'll learn that.

If it's you? Nil.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Seadog

I seem to recall (from anecdotes - or perhaps anecdits) that several marriages came to an abrupt end when following a gear room fire, Illustrious returned to Pompey 2 days into an 8 month deployment. Always best to phone ahead and not try to surprise the good lady. There may be more surprises that you can take.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seadog

Dog watch English for you laddie.