Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it a good idea to have a 'girlfriend' or a 'wife' when in the Navy?

MrIndeed

Midshipman
What are the chances of being cheated upon?

What are the chances of returning back to the shores of Britain to find your wife has taken all your shit?

What are the chances of still being in a relationship?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
1, About 16.3:1, but first you have to find someone initially attracted to you. If a person is attracted to someone with obvious insecurity issues, then there's often a self-fulfilling prophecy. You may even find there's an ulterior motive to exploit their naivety. Others just invent statistical data to illustrate a point.

2. If ever you get married, you'll realise your possessions are no longer your own anyway. Unless anything breaks, then it's yours again.

3. Matelots have a higher than average divorce rate and the reasons centre on separation & independent living - for both. A person that can cope with separation may not always be an ideal partner when together 24/7 and one that wants 24/7 togetherness is often the cause of many a wasted Naval career.

Incidentally, the above applies to male or female matelots.

slim

War Hero
A matelot should have as many girlfriends as can afford to keep him in booze and sex. He should also have a many wives as posibble in so long as their husbands do not find out

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
A matelot should have as many girlfriends as can afford to keep him in booze and sex. He should also have a many wives as posibble in so long as their husbands do not find out
Isn't there a Naval toast about just that? "Wives & Girlfriends, may they never meet".

ElQuesoGrande

Lantern Swinger
No, there are no married personnel in the RN. It's possible in principle, but pretty much unheard of in practice. I heard, once, of an Admiral who had tied the knot, but it's probably a gash dit.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yes, there was. But not now . . . not if we want to incur the wrath of 2SL
Yep, it is no longer the case, thankfully & rightly. That said, it would be rather sad to censor a historic record of sexism in the Naval service, pretending it never existed.

Similarly, on the subject of changing history, Naval Ratings never used to swear an oath of allegiance for 500 years, but those joining today do. It makes not a jot of difference, nor does a marrige vow to some, but sanitising history doesn't alter the true history. :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Why was the oath brought in? I'm quite proud never to have had to swear an oath. Unlike my dirty crab and pongo oppos.
I imagine it was brought in as a result of the last Armed Forces act, but it was unleashed at HMS Raleigh a couple or three years ago.

Those already serving have not been retrospectively made to swear an oath (beyond "Get F*cked"), which kind of proves it is completely meaningless, pointless & another stunner from the SO1 "good ideas club".

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer

What are the chances of returning back to the shores of Britain to find your wife has taken all your shit?

Are you a real person?

Sumo

War Hero
3. Matelots have a higher than average divorce rate and the reasons centre on separation & independent living - for both. A person that can cope with separation may not always be an ideal partner when together 24/7 and one that wants 24/7 togetherness is often the cause of many a wasted Naval career.

Incidentally, the above applies to male or female matelots.

It was hell when I finally came home to live full time 13 years after I left the MOB

G

guestm

To be honest I think you'll be fine, judging from your posts I'm not sure you'll be at the top of the food chain when it comes to relationships. As long as she leaves the nightclub before ten to two you should be ok. Being a bottom feeder probably has it's benefits that way.

She owns it anyway, you'll learn that.

If it's you? Nil.

Seadog

War Hero
I seem to recall (from anecdotes - or perhaps anecdits) that several marriages came to an abrupt end when following a gear room fire, Illustrious returned to Pompey 2 days into an 8 month deployment. Always best to phone ahead and not try to surprise the good lady. There may be more surprises that you can take.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
slim Smart Motorways, a good idea or a Stupid one? Current Affairs 25
MoD_RSS Take a game-changing idea to market: apply for an innovation loan MoD News 0
M Military kit bags, a good idea? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H Any idea for PRNC dates after passing fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B Any idea on this photograph - early 1900s? History 15
SONAR-BENDER Scottish idea of 5 day! Diamond Lil's 2
N App Idea Diamond Lil's 16
Rumrat Sgt Peppers brainstormingly good Idea. Diamond Lil's 5
M Getting married in rig - a good idea? Nearest & Dearest 23
C An idea to help out... Diamond Lil's 5
A A New Idea from Ford Blue Jokes 2
soleil The Register: "Trident Delay: Cunning Plan Or Bad Idea?" Submariners 1
tug1970 Idea's to beat being bored needed Diamond Lil's 44
S New idea for a charity event Charity 0
Rumrat A Idea to extend Naval Service The Gash Barge 3
Ja5on Sounds like a good idea Current Affairs 7
bikerman Seems like a good idea? The Gash Barge 1
21_Man Idea The Quarterdeck 7
G No idea which to choose out of these trades!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
theoldti This is not a bad idea......... The Quarterdeck 0
A I have an idea! The Quarterdeck 14
S Christmas Card idea for our wounded... Current Affairs 3
S A good idea for disposing of ex-RN warships...? The Fleet 13
Hitback Medical Discharge / War Pension Idea? Current Affairs 161
andym Mr Livingstones latest stupid idea! Diamond Lil's 17
bigbaddog dot.com millionaire idea? The Gash Barge 6
slim I hate speed camera's so why do I like this idea? Diamond Lil's 17
josiecats Some ones Idea Of a SICK Joke.. Site Issues 50
O The RAF. A good thing? Or someones idea of a joke? The Fleet Air Arm 46
Shakey My idea to reduce youth crime Current Affairs 30
S An idea for a new role for the RNR... Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
F A good Idea Charity 0
Clouseau Here's an Idea - MOD network forums Site Issues 17
Shakey web site idea? Diamond Lil's 4
Rincewind Spitballing - hows this for an idea chaps? Diamond Lil's 1
R A girlfriend in every port??? Submariners 22
K Girlfriend of a Sailor Nearest & Dearest 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Sentence increased for man who violently attacked and threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend MoD News 0
EarlyChop Girlfriend. Diamond Lil's 11
soleil Plymouth Herald: "Girlfriend's Cake Makes A Beret Happy Birthday" The Corps 0
soggykitkat new girlfriend Miscellaneous 0
P Thechive / Best Girlfriend Ever Diamond Lil's 16
P Girlfriend in the navy Nearest & Dearest 33
B having a girlfriend while in the navy Nearest & Dearest 57
tug1970 Cruelest You Have Got Rid Of A Girlfriend Diamond Lil's 20
wannabeaet So my girlfriend left me :). Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 121
Deano19 Girlfriend, well was. Nearest & Dearest 39
M girlfriend??? Nearest & Dearest 81
T Lawyer treats girlfriend to dinner at Gleneagles Diamond Lil's 7
H My Girlfriend has just passed AIB The Quarterdeck 1