Is Illustrious an aircraft carrier or not?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by norfolknchance, Dec 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know Illustrious used to have fixed wing but there seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether it is an aircraft carrier or not, is it a case that it is no longer suitable to modern fixed wings so we don't consider it an aircraft carrier anymore?

2. Illustrius was a "Through Deck Cruiser" not an aicraft carrier.
    The last aircraft carrier worthy of the name was "Ark Royal" of "Sailor" fame

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Technically I'd suggest it's now a helicopter (or Commando) carrier, same as Ocean always was, same as Hermes was when there were no fixed-wing aircraft in service that could be launched from it.

4. Now an LPH although they retained the R on the pennant number

5. Can't be an LPH without landing craft. A white elephant, that's what she is.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. She carries aircraft right?

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So did some submarines.......... ;)

8. She has landing craft, 4 of them, just done many amphibious work with them including 2 deployments in the same TG

Again she is an LPH no longer a CVS

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I thought Illustrious was a rather fetching grey, rather than white.

LPH = Landing Pad Helicopter, no mention of landing craft floaty things.

• Like Like x 1
  10. If required they could still operate Harriers/AV8's from countries who value naval air power so therefore it is an aircraft carrier "when they want it to be". :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lusty has no landing craft I can assure you and LPH stands for Landing Platform Helicopter, and by Landing it means landing troops ashore not landing aircraft.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Landing Platform Helicopter isn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  13. She fulfils the LPH role whilst Ocean is in refit as she is the closest thing we have but she is not a true LPH. Ocean is the RNs only Purpose built LPH capable of landing troops ashore by air and sea. It also has a vehicle deck and ramps in addition to the largest hangar in the Navy. Until QEC is commissioned Ocean is the largest ship in the Navy.

14. image.jpg
    you would be correct in your assumption, but alas the FAA has no fixed wing aircraft!!! Ps toy ones don't count!!!!!!!

15. Scouces photo also shows the lack of landing craft. Ocean has 4.

16. Edited for mongness

17. Edited not what I was trying to do. Tapatalk won't give me delete

18. Hmm, I'd be interested to see a picture of that..... Can you provide?

19. Here is a picture of the Stbd side of lusty taken this year. Where would you put an LCVP? ocean carries 4 on Davits, 2 port and 2 stbd, are you confusing illustrious with ocean thommo? ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1388157361.568645.jpg

20. I can't provide a pic so I am more than likely mistaken therefore my apologises.