Is HMS Raleigh shut in August

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'd be inclined to wait until you complete initial training to be honest.

You need to confirm permission for overseas travel during leave periods - don't aim to fly out or back without a couple of days either side. If your flight back is delayed, it's your problem and likewise if you miss the outward flight. You need to be contactable in case you are recalled & have enough money to cover an unscheduled flight home. It seldom happens, but trainees were mobilised to help during the floods this year, so it is possible, particularly if the security state changes. Whatever you choose, buy cancellation insurance.

JackDusty1990

Midshipman
If thats the case.. i shall give it a miss then. Cheers for the advise Ninja

What i will probably do instead is setting the alarm for 5:30am and keep up with PT. Doesnt sound as fun as a nice wee trip to the states but im sure it will prove more benificial in the long run

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
If thats the case.. i shall give it a miss then. Cheers for the advise Ninja

What i will probably do instead is setting the alarm for 5:30am and keep up with PT. Doesnt sound as fun as a nice wee trip to the states but im sure it will prove more benificial in the long run

I'm sure you'll have many trips to the States once you're in the fleet.

mattyrock

Badgeman
You get standard leave periods whilst at Raleigh... When I was there I'd have loved 4 weeks off! The difference between doing the full 10 weeks in a oner and having leave break it up is, you'll have extra phys in your first week back... Usually pretty early in the morning...

You could ask your AFCO to change your date to September though if you don't want the break inbetween

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
It's a massive pain for the RNR that Raleigh shuts. Those four weeks would be invaluable for running reservists who can only really take off school holiday periods through initial training. For those still in school or who work in education there is effectively only one or two slots a year they can do their initial course.

Compare that to the Army's Summer Challenge which specifically targets people who have four weeks over the summer...

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I have Christmas leave in mine, have to resist sustaining myself on alcohol and chocolate and becoming part of the settee.

I tried that; got out of the vacuuming for weeks... :twisted:

camo-couch.jpg