Is HMS Raleigh shut in August

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JamesRob, Apr 24, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think i've read other posts about this correctly but just looking for clarification is HMS raleigh shut in august and if so what dates ?

I've got my PRNC on the 5th may, I'm joining as a TSM, and was told my entry date will be the 20th July if all goes well.

Creamefields (music festival) is the 22nd to the 24th of august so obviously with my entry date being just a few weeks before I thought I had no chance of going.

Does this also mean that after just a few days of training i'll have to treck all the way back up to sunny Glasgow??

Any help is appreciated,

• Like Like x 1
  2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Raleigh goes on leave August 1st 2014. You will have to be back on board August 31st 2014.

You will be returning home after 2 weeks of training.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pretty sure raleigh summer leave is 1st august for 4 wks, take it your prnc is at caledonia? Mines 5th may too so see you there!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  4. It is indeed mate! see you there
  5. See you at PRNC May 5th!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The big snag with taking leave so soon after joining is that it is a huge wrench going back after spending four weeks at home with lie-ins, Mums cooking, spinning "Raleigh War Dits" in the pub, adoration from the opposite (or same, if you prefer) sex, etc.

We see a huge increase in leavers opting-out of training in the first two weeks after a leave period. These most likely to leave are the younger recruits who maybe less familiar with separation & independent living.

It's a big and costly problem.
  7. I'm quite upset that I'm having 4 wks off halfway through basic! Seems ridiculous to me, rather get it done in one!

8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As an "educational" establishment it has to have leave periods. You can moan about it at the end of your course but it will not change anything. It's up to you to maintain your fitness and motivation over the leave period. Four or two weeks leave usually sorts out those you actually want to be in the mob and those who don't, but annoyingly it does waste money.

9. Totally understand the reason for the leave period, would just rather not have it fall halfway through my basic! Nothing to do with motivation or fitness levels :)

10. When I was a DO at Raleigh it was always a sweepstake as to who would actually come back or request PVR in the first week back.

I was duty PO one weekend at Sultan when a letter arrived from a tiff apprentice and containing his ID card and a letter of resignation (gen dit). Mummy and Daddy wrote a letter of complaint about how their son was treated like a common criminal when the plod showed up and he was put into cells on his return :)
    • Like Like x 3
  11. I have Christmas leave in mine, have to resist sustaining myself on alcohol and chocolate and becoming part of the settee. First Christmas I will have had off in years though (and maybe the last for a while).
  12. Looks like i will also be a victim to this. Two weeks at Raleigh before returning home for Christmas for four weeks (i think)

With this time off it would be a shame to waste it... i take it will be okay to do a bit of travelling over this leave period? (America/canada)
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd be inclined to wait until you complete initial training to be honest.

You need to confirm permission for overseas travel during leave periods - don't aim to fly out or back without a couple of days either side. If your flight back is delayed, it's your problem and likewise if you miss the outward flight. You need to be contactable in case you are recalled & have enough money to cover an unscheduled flight home. It seldom happens, but trainees were mobilised to help during the floods this year, so it is possible, particularly if the security state changes. Whatever you choose, buy cancellation insurance.
  14. If thats the case.. i shall give it a miss then. Cheers for the advise Ninja

What i will probably do instead is setting the alarm for 5:30am and keep up with PT. Doesnt sound as fun as a nice wee trip to the states but im sure it will prove more benificial in the long run
  15. I'm sure you'll have many trips to the States once you're in the fleet.
  16. I hope so! Been to 27 different states within the last 2 years and i am looking to tick some more of the list =D
  17. You get standard leave periods whilst at Raleigh... When I was there I'd have loved 4 weeks off! The difference between doing the full 10 weeks in a oner and having leave break it up is, you'll have extra phys in your first week back... Usually pretty early in the morning...

You could ask your AFCO to change your date to September though if you don't want the break inbetween

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  18. It's a massive pain for the RNR that Raleigh shuts. Those four weeks would be invaluable for running reservists who can only really take off school holiday periods through initial training. For those still in school or who work in education there is effectively only one or two slots a year they can do their initial course.

Compare that to the Army's Summer Challenge which specifically targets people who have four weeks over the summer...
  19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I tried that; got out of the vacuuming for weeks... :twisted: