is he a fake???

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by KEITH, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. ive come to this forum cos i cant find the info anywhere!!!!!
    My little sisters boyfriend has said that he is an ex marine and joined in the mid to late 90's. he's shown me a dog tag with bits and bobs on it, with a service number of 'PO65238D'. can anyone tell me if this would be an accurate service number for someone who joined in the mid to late nineties?? or if he has had one of those 'dog tags' made up for him on the net!!!

cheers

keith

2. Mid to late 90's...... I'm sure if he did join up he would remember the exact date...

3. And that particular range of numbers would have been issued about 40+ years ago anyway ...sounds a little dodgy ?
    :neutral:

4. Ask him who he served with, which commando company etc. What shape are the dog tags?

5. That number looks very RN to me not RM, though I stand open to correction.

I joined the RN in 1964 with the number P084*** which was then changed, at a much later date to P084***Q.

Pol

6. HE SAID HE JOINED IN 98. WHAT SORT OF SERVICE NUMBER WOULD HE HAVE FOR THAT TIME OF JOING....I CAN QUIZ THE ****** IF I GET THIS INFO...

7. Agree that it looks more RN, also, in addition, the only tags we had that I recall were the round red fibre thingys attached to the antigas respirator.

8. Ditto

Pol

9. Have you tried posting on 'The Corps' forum. They may give you a straight forward answer.

10. yep WM I remember having those red fibre taks they exploded when got wet

11. I'll bite. We now get issued 2x round metal tags on chains. One for your neck, one for your big toe.

12. No no JD they are getting on a bit, they really mean what they are saying!

Humour them!

13. oi rosie I resemble that remark

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A Royal joining in the mid-90s would have a P048***** to P050**** number issued; the more recent recruits coming through now only have P061**** numbers. Doesn't sound legit to me...

:?

15. Ditto Wasp, maybe we should get some legal eagle to represent us for a bit of compo.... :wink:

16. no win no fee I hope WM coz Im a tight fisted Jock

17. spb,

Are they recycling the old service numbers then?

Maybe I'll get in touch with the newbie who will have my old one eventually ?

:smile:

18. THANKS SGT PEPPER......WOULD THOSE SERVICE NUMBERS YOU PROVIDED STILL HAVE A LETTER ON THE END LIKE MY SISTERS BOYFRIENDS HAS??

KEITH

19. Must be damned awkward to get your boot on .....? :wink:

20. I would say that they should still have a letter at the beginning and end. E.G Mine was P995***P for RMR and 2497***6 for army