Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is CIS a good choice?

i sat my navy test on the 17th november last year and wanted to join personal logistics (writter) but i didnt make the mark for that job. i did get given a list of other jobs to choose from, and CIS being one of them. I have chose CIS after doing some research, do you think that it is a good choice>

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
On the basis that this is a question from a genuine new member, my answer would be what do you think?

I don't mean to be rude OP but at the end of the day, you have to do the training and you'll be the one doing it for a good few years.

At the moment I'm working with a guy who admits that he was effectively told that he was going to Uni and that he only did the course because he couldn't think of anything else to do. You can see he has no real passion for what he does, which is sad when you think he has the next 40 yrs of doing the same infront of him

If you really want to do the logistics role is there any chance you could resit the tests?

If this is not a genuine new member, then I despair, I really do.

No i am a genuine member,
i was just looking for a bit of advice from someone maybe in this area of work

but thanks for your advice

i guess ill have to experiance it for myself then, but thanks again

they said i didnt meet the required mark for writte, that was all >

thanks again for your help and advice

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
No i am a genuine member,
i was just looking for a bit of advice from someone maybe in this area of work

but thanks for your advice

No offence meant but it does appear to have been - as they say - a slow newbie month and it looks like boredom has set in.

Have you had a look on the RN website as they often do 'live chats' with serving members of the RN and there might be one for CIS. Don't know how good they actually are or if there is even one but you never know.

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
The other thng to ask yourself is what do you enjoy doing, and how would the role of CIS fit in with this (And possibly the other choices you have)

JW7121

Lantern Swinger
i sat my navy test on the 17th november last year and wanted to join personal logistics (writter) but i didnt make the mark for that job. i did get given a list of other jobs to choose from, and CIS being one of them. I have chose CIS after doing some research, do you think that it is a good choice>

It's horses for courses. For some people CIS will be a good choice, for others it may not be a good choice. Its down to you as an individual to decide if you will enjoy the job or not.

Take the advice from Jimbo and Sol.

brigham600

War Hero
I am an ex CRS (CPO(CIS) in new money and to be honest and frank with you the job may not be exactly what you expect.

A) You will be shiftworking (Watchkeeping) whenever you are at sea, so think disrupted sleep pattern every day of your time aboard the ship.

B) Part of your job when working in the Main Communications Office (MCO) will be dealing with messages, which are sent and received on a computer using windows based systems. You will not be an administrator until you reach Senior Rate level and will be sent on the appropriate courses at Collingwood. You will also be responsible for tuning the transmit and receive radios, which vary from ship to ship. There are times when you will use voice procedures on 'radio nets', along with using ships portable radios and Bowman equipment. Data links, air communications and many others are also high on the list of communications priorities. It can be very busy in the MCO and it can also be very slow, depending on what the ship is doing.

C) There are also many other duties and tasks, such as whole ship ones; stores party, fire fighting, duties at weekends as well as the weekdays, cleaning and a whole plethaura of other jobs to long to list here.

If you want any further help, then please feel free to Private Message me and I will try to assist.

I really enjoyed my time as a Communicator and would recommend it, but as the others have said, horses for courses.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gematria ETWE CIS or ETWE? Joining the Royal Navy 5
B CIS interview. Joining the Royal Navy 2
B ETWE (cis) role Joining the Royal Navy 2
N CIS Entry Level Engineers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
3 What courses are available as a CIS? UPO/Careers Office 1
B CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
C CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
W Phase 2 CIS Joining the Royal Navy 11
F Waiting time CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
XCrabFat Faraday Programme , CIS & ET(WE) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
B Tango Pay for ET(WE)CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Antonio555 CIS Submariner Submariners 10
D I have been offered the CIS Role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A CIS Update - Is This Accurate? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
M CIS postings Bases / Shore Est 14
truman90 CIS The Fleet Air Arm 3
E CIS Waiting Time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
R Failed Royal Navy Eye Test | CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R CIS Information & Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
R Waiting Times CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J CIS phase 2 training question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N Failed my RT but still got enough points for WE CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
F CIS Info. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M I have finished all my application process for Royal Navy applying for CIS . Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Torn between CIS and MA! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T CIS Queries Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
rn458scc Pay Spine CIS The Fleet 6
Ahoy89 Writer or CIS? Decisions! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Ahoy89 'Approx' waiting times? Writer/CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
rn458scc CIS Training Collingwood Bases / Shore Est 7
E CIS interview/sift dates RFA 10
matt93 CIS Transferable SKills Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
matt93 CIS waiting times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
matt93 CIS waiting times The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
rn458scc CIS and CT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
E questions about CIS role RFA 23
S 33yr old looking to join as a CIS SM Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
frogman007 Mary Rose. Leading CIS The Gash Barge 2
S Some questions about CIS trade... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
LaurenMc CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
K RNR CIS Branch Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
G CIS(SM) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
C I sat my RT for CIS (surface fleet) in March 2011, when am I likely to start? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
Guns The future of the CIS branch (Surface and Submarines) The Fleet 63
rickjarvis CIS waiting times. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G Who is all waiting for CIS :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
S cis ratings on hold Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Regional Security Advisor - Russia & CIS The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
J CIS on a type 23 The Fleet 4