Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irish in the Royal Navy

Hello,

I am 21 years old and am currently in the Irish Navy. I have been in it almost 3 years, but its just not great at all and with so many people leaving the place is going down the drain . Once back from my deployment I am thinking about leaving and joining the Royal Navy. I was wondering are there many Irish in the RN? Also during training would the instructors know you served before?

Thanks

Drakey

War Hero
There are loads of Irish in the navy,
Having previous service is not an issue. Why is that a concern?

Sumo

War Hero
As long as you meet the entry requirements no problem, they let the Scottish and welsh in, ever the odd scouser, when short handed.

That’s good to hear about there being a good few Irish in the RN.

We recently did a cross poll with HMS Echo and all there crew seemed lively and happy with the navy whilst on our ships it’s a different story!

I just think that the RN offfers far more opportunities as it’s a much larger navy. Maybe that’s not the case, but I think when I get back I’ll pop into Belfast AFCO.

Seadog

War Hero
There were until recently, maybe still are, INS recruiting adverts in the nautical press. IIRC, they were aimed at STCW class 2 and class 1 engineer officers under 35.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Royal Marines take the baton from the Royal Irish in Nad 'Ali Current Affairs 9
MoD_RSS Northern Irish F gas users urged to prepare for change ahead of 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Irish Taoiseach Micheál Martin: 9 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM's meeting with Irish Taoiseach Micheál Martin: 13 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Irish Taoiseach Micheál Martin: 30 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bank of England consent to transfer of authorisation to issue Northern Irish banknotes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern Irish firm doubles turnover thanks to Dubai export win MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ambassador to Ireland discusses differences in the UK and Irish approach to tackling coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister Pincher speech at the British Irish Parliamentary Assembly, 21 October 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Irish and British Finance ministers meet for third time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GRAVES OF TWO IRISH SOLDIERS KILLED DURING THE GREAT WAR ARE REDEDICATED A CENTURY LATER MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: FOUR UNKNOWN IRISH SOLDIERS BURIED ONE HUNDRED YEARS AFTER THEIR DEATHS IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government agrees deal to protect social security rights of UK and Irish citizens living and working in each other’s state MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Joint Communiqué of the British-Irish Intergovernmental Conference 2 November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British-Irish Inter-Governmental Conference MoD News 0
soleil The Duchess of Cambridge Presents A Shamrock To The Irish Guards' Mascot, Domhnall Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF football team play Irish Defence Forces MoD News 0
SARKING Irish Presidents Visit Diamond Lil's 9
fishhead Irish Doctor's Assistant Miscellaneous 0
T British and Irish Lions' squad for their tour of Australia 2013, a good mix? Sports and Adventure Training 7
J Irish Free State's neutrality during WW2 History 0
MoD_RSS Playful pup newest recruit to Irish Guards MoD News 0
janner Irish Miscellaneous 1
scouse Irish Trainer,Peter Casey..Live at Leopardstown yesterday Sports and Adventure Training 0
scouse Jamie Codd goes through the card at Tinahely Irish, Point to Point Meeting Sports and Adventure Training 0
janner Irish furniture dealer Miscellaneous 2
janner Irish Medical Dictionary Miscellaneous 0
S Irish Visit Current Affairs 47
F Irish entering the affray in Libya Nautical Jokes 4
Maxi_77 Irish Child Abuse Current Affairs 11
NotmeChief So the Irish ARE as thick as the jokes suggest. Current Affairs 43
trelawney126 Irish Referendum Pt2 2nd Oct 09. ? Blair for EU President Current Affairs 15
E Northern Irish Submariners Submariners 4
Smoggie British and Irish Lions Sports and Adventure Training 1
Gombear Naked irish Mp The Gash Barge 3
popeye123 Major Cocaine bust by Irish Navy Current Affairs 7
Q The Irish VC Fund? Current Affairs 0
N Home of Irish Music and Dance (Espana) Diamond Lil's 8
B THE IRISH ARE COMING Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS Royal Appointment of Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Prisons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentencing Code granted Royal Assent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New partnership with The Alan Turing Institute and Royal Statistical Society to support Joint Biosecurity Centre COVID-19 response MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil Royal Marines Charity: "Mark Ormrod Awarded MBE" The Corps 1
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5