Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

IRAQ - So, should we, or shouldn't we ? Strength of fee

On reflection was Britain right to invade Iraq?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• No

• Should we leave now?

• Yes

• No

• Total voters
Re: IRAQ - So, should we, or shouldn't we ? Strength of

3 things

1. In spite of some acrimonious exchanges , I'm letting this run for the time being. Please keep any racist or foaming-at-the-mouth diatribes off the thread and the board.

2. The subject is Iraq. Please keep to that topic before I have to start editing and chopping wholesale.

3. Poll added, 'scuse formatting but the software doesn't lend itself to multiple question formats by the look of things.

RumRation is shaping up to be a very good forum , and I'll not have it spoilt for the majority by individuals pushing their own agendas.

PTP

PTP I have read, re-read and contributed to Arrse and it is a good example to the senior Service in how to prompt partricipation. This thread is in the current affairs category and has started some good exchanges about other areas, such as the Arab / Israeli situation. Surely we're allowed to wander off a bit? I mentioned the wall several posts ago, not to suggest that the wall going up in Israel was the example of which I was thinking, more the wall dividing Germany, although the one in Israel will go the same way in the end.

Seadog said:
Not at all! Religion was/is coincidental. Jews were persecuted (and so consolidated their power base) because of their perceived 'race/ethnicity' not their faith. As for the Paddies; Prods and Papes/Republicans and Unionists/Celtic and Rangers/Falls Road gangsters and Shankhill gangsters, Derry and Londonderry.

I didn't always listen at school, but I was working on the theory that the Jews were persecuted because they crucified Jesus Christ because he argued with their religious beliefs. This wasn't the exciting cause of their banishment from Palestine in ancient times, but the creation of Israel, so that the Jewish populations around the world could have a homeland, was brought about because of a Christian guilt-trip after the Holocaust (incidentally, displacing the indigenous Palestinian Arabs, who were really pleased to leave).

The Catholic population in Northern Ireland were downtrodden because they were...Catholic? Nothing to do with William of Orange being a Protestant, then.

OK. I accept that religion is coincidental in both cases.

Bejeezuz come the day, ancient history. Can't imagine the Arabs are sore at the Jews for their part in the Romans' execution of Christ. Or that terrorists in Northern Ireland are really motivated by religious persecution centuries ago.

Even without religion there are dividing lines. Religion is coincidental, as is 'Celtic and Rangers' for the Plastic Paddies and Plastic Ulstermen in Scotland. And if the Jewish population of Israel faced Mecca tomorrow and embraced Islam, those Arabs who hate them now would still hate them.

Whatever its place in history, religion in the aforementioned problem areas is now coincidental.

RumRation is shaping up to be a very good forum , and I'll not have it spoilt for the majority by individuals pushing their own agendas.PTP[/quote]

Bravo Zulu PTP very true so stick to your guns.Yes I did note the glich with the poll. A good one to fix for future polls IMHO. Meanwhile may Rum Ration continue and prosper, a great idea for those in the far flung remainder of the former great empire on a never ending foreign draft. Someone's gotta do it,

Besta British to ya
:D

might as well blow this post off then..
so much for freedom of speech :evil:
didn't realise we are not allowed to digress

Why is it , the people who really want to push the envelope complain the loudest of Freedom of Speech?

Here it is simply - No Racist or racially derogatory terms of speech anywhere on RumRation , no sledging or mindless garbage , in Current Affairs.

RumRation exists for the enjoyment of all , and is a shop window to the world as regards the Andrew. Arrse has a habit of being quoted in the National Media , Rum Ration will too.

I really don't need to see quotes taken out of context and used against us , in the name of 'Freedom of speech".

Good lord, been away, and wow! interesting and eloquent reading guys! Give me time to catch up.... 8O

Lingyai said:
might as well blow this post off then..
so much for freedom of speech :evil:
didn't realise we are not allowed to digress

Although I disagree with m'learned gentleman's basement-level racism and his general nuggetry, I am fully behind his stance on FoS. Okay, he has come over all offensive at times and possibly against ToS regulations, but don't shut us down, FFS. I get enough of that in my job. RR is a citadel where bastards like me get the chance to air our views. If it becomes overly censored and party-line, it may as well be relabelled 'Navy News'.

Levers

Forum = appointment, argument, chalk talk, colloquium, colloquy, confabulation, conferring, congress, consultation, conversation, convocation, deliberation, discussion

We should ba able to "go off tack" in the forum, it is inevitable that this will happen here and in general debate.

As for racism?
The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability.
Well, are you telling me that the way some Iraqi's act with beheadings and suicide bombings etc. is not due to their races values and morals?
In this respect I do believe this makes a human being inferior.
You don't have to agree, it might be acceptable to you but that is my opnion, and it doesn't mean I am a blanket racist either, I am very tolerant of other races in general, just that some of those who choose to act like animals really wind my watch.
As for the worries about being quoted in the press, so you want us all to only speak in a pc manner ? Are we supposed to use the party line in case we are quoted? Let them quote, it is an opinion, the papers are full of them every day. Try not to worry too much, you might live longer.
PS
Nice to see you back Levers, missed ya. :D

Ling, where as Rum is some where you can blow sum steam, put your brain into gear before posting is basically what PTP is saying.

There is only so much pushing you can do until some one draws the line. Twice PTP has made his mark regarding this thread, let it be.

We can carry on with this thread at my house if you want (submariners)
I have been on 2 operational tours of Iraq , both at the sharp end and i leave for another one on wednesday .I hate the ragheads ! i am not racist in the slightest however in my EXPIRENCE they are a bunch of nasty, cruel,
un-trustworthy people who would smile at your face then stab you in the back .

Deeps said:
I have been on 2 operational tours of Iraq , both at the sharp end and i leave for another one on wednesday .I hate the ragheads ! i am not racist in the slightest however in my EXPIRENCE they are a bunch of nasty, cruel,

Maybe that's the people you come in contact with because of your role out there? I know a police officer who has made an effort to take part in outside activities, otherwise she said she'd only ever deal with police colleagues and criminals. She said that it reminds her that there are normal people out there who do work for a living and are generally law abiding.

I've dealt with the Arabs in Oman and UAE and found them to be a friendly and helpful people, but I'm told that the Saudis are very different.

Stay safe Deeps.

PartTimer said:
Deeps said:

Maybe that's the people you come in contact with because of your role out there? I know a police officer who has made an effort to take part in outside activities, otherwise she said she'd only ever deal with police colleagues and criminals. She said that it reminds her that there are normal people out there who do work for a living and are generally law abiding.

I've dealt with the Arabs in Oman and UAE and found them to be a friendly and helpful people, but I'm told that the Saudis are very different.

Stay safe Deeps.

So to sum it up, it is the person and not the race!

I am not racist and will never be but then again its easy to sum something up to a race, easy to point the finger.

Imagine, a couple of hundred yrs ago, or even a few 1000 years ago, the British were ridiculed for being the most brutual, bloodest race, country there was. Is this debate turning the tables? Ok, so we were never around in those times but it is still the same finger.

Think about it :wink:

Some of the Iraqi's I met would have given ling a run for his mony in the racism stakes.

Ps Have a good(safe) tour Deeps

Latest Threads