Iran's new boats

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SONAR-BENDER, Nov 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hmm, turquoise. HMS Opossum in her Gulf colours:

Attached Files:

2. I wouldn't say they were that capable, don't look much bigger than a WW2 XE craft. There won't be much room for large batteries etc so I'd hazard a guess they've got them for coastal work or SF insertion etc. They aren't big enough for massive sonar arrays or extended periods at sea. The colour scheme is just camouflage for operating in clear shallow water, conventional black sticks out like a sore thumb and dead easy to spot from the air. Talent did experiments with blue patches and the O boats in the first Gulf war had a natty camouflage paint job as well. edited to add we posted at the same time so photo removed.

3. Never mind the colour of the boat in clear shallow water, it is the SHADOW that will give them away.

And as I recall, the very best colour for a boat is actually pink - yes - really!

4. You've been watching "Operation Petticoat again haven't you, although pink was used by perce in the desert during WW2 (LRDG Chevrolet trucks and later on SAS Pink Panther landrovers) as it was reckoned the best camouflage, that was their excuse anyway.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. NO - safeguard!

I'm sure 'we' carried out a series of trials which established a pink/plum colour was the best possible 'camouflage' colour for a submerged boat.

In fact as I'm bored deciding which apps to put on my new toy, I'l have a Google - if you'll pardon the pun!