Iranian Warships transit SUEZ Canal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Feb 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Defence Diplomacy, innit?
  2. I understand that if you don't exercise your right of passage every so many years you can lose that right ... or am I thinking of rights of way across common or private land? I sometimes get those two mixed up!
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Maybe if they venture as far as La Manche (or The Channel as some like to call it) then Jack will be able to get his MP3 players back :)
  4. Now that's a good idea! Do you think we could persuade the rest of the world that the Med is inside UK TTW and "arrest" their ships? There was a time when that would not have been a problem but it might be a bit of a stretch at the moment.
  5. Probably couldn't afford the Canal transit fees
  6. IIRC, two Iranian frigates spent some time in Guzz in the mid/late 70s, ZAAR and SAAM (spelling?). Anyone else remember them ? Jan Docky was highly amused to see them walk around the yard holding hands, and kissing whem they met. And there were quite a few dusky souvenirs left among the female population.
  7. There was a lot of them at Ganges getting trained when I was there (Jan 74)
  8. Lot's hanging around Rowner estate in mid 70/s.
  9. SAAM (also known as 'Alvand') is an Iranian class of frigate, 4 in the class, there were two named the SAAM and the ZAAL, they're now known as the Alvand & Alborz and are still operational in the Iranian Navy. All 4 were built in UK.
  10. I was there Nov 73 and when we got to Collingrad to start career course there were even more of them.
  11. Sultan too mate, and Libyans, Iraqis.
  12. Wonder how much the MoD made from training them all. Did Mechs course at Sultan and the courses were topped up with Kenyan's and Nigerians (plus a Jamaican in my class). Anyone know what foreign nationals we're training up nowadays at either place??
  13. Sultan/C'wood since I joined (8 years ago) have been training Omani ME/WE's.
    C'wood were training nigerian Comms ratings a couple of years ago.
    On Fish protection we were training T&T sailors for their new ships, they have brought from BAE,BVT, Babcock or what ever they are called this week.
  14. Is a flying the flag visit to Guzz or Pompey on the programme?
  15. If they go within spitting distance of Gib we v got em?
  16. And it all looks to be on again. Popping into Syria by all accounts. Might be an idea to go the long way round the back of Cyprus, I am sure they would not want to have an 'incident' with any unfriendly states on the way by coast hugging.

BBC News - Iran warships Suez Canal passage 'back on'
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'll give 'em two tins if they stop for a rig run in Haifa... :twisted:
  18. It would have to be a ceremonial entry, dressed overall to start it off with a bang.

Do QR's* cover off on conducting a 21 gun salute with SSM's?

*I am an old [email protected] and QRRN's is what I remember for ceremonial (Chapter 13 if my failing memory serves), apologies to any of you whipper snappers who might call it something else these days :)